Thread: 5/8-24 Muzzle Brakes 6.5 CM American Questions

Default 5/8-24 Muzzle Brakes 6.5 CM American Questions

Hello folks. I'm setting up a Ruger American in 6.5 for my son and would like to put a brake on it initially for him. He's painfully thin and I feel the brake will ease him into a centerfire hunting rifle without beating him up even though the CM isn't exactly a hard kicker. It will also allow more range time within a given time window to get him ready for the critters. My question is have any of you purchased any of the 5/8 thread brakes from Brownell's or otherwise and just screwed them on and good to go? I don't really have a ton of money to spend on this rifle, otherwise it would be a NULA or something similar! Does anyone know if the Ruger brake designed for the RPR they sell on their site work worth a darn for recoil reduction? It's under a hundred bucks at several online retailers. Personally I would prefer the streamlined look of the KDF, Gentry, Harrell, etc. Anyone have any words of wisdom? Thanks, Mark

Default 5/8-24 Muzzle Brakes 6.5 CM American Questions

I’ve installed several brakes. It’s been my experience that they are quite effective on a somewhat “over- bore” cartridge like .300 magnum, 7 magnums, etc. I’ve found that the noise level produced with a smaller cartridge such as the Creed, 7-08, .243, etc. offsets any gains in felt recoil for a young or inexperienced shooter.

If you’re bound and determined, avoid a radial style brake (holes all the way around). They blow dirt in the shooters face every time unless fired from a bench. Use more of a tactical style that vents out the sides. Also, those universal brakes such as the factory RPR, are bored for .30cal which makes it pretty loose for a 6.5. A 6.5 brake should be bored no more than .294 to get much help out of it. It will
    most likely be $85 wasted for your setup.

The little Ruger American is a cool rifle. The intent of the threading is for a suppressor. Now, if you want to talk about recoil reduction, that is the way to go. And a .30 can works just fine on a 6.5 CM. The two downsides to that is cost, and the fact that you won’t want to shoot anything else without a suppressor after you try it.

Good luck with your young shooter. My advice is get some 120gr ammo and have him shoot it as is. If it causes a flinch, back off to a .223 or rim fire. They grow up too fast as it is. Hahaha.

Quote Originally Posted by gbflyer View Post
    ….My advice is get some 120gr ammo and have him shoot it as is....
    This! Get him some lighter loads and just get him used to it right off the bat. When I started my youngun' I just had him put in the ear plugs and hold it tight around waist level and shoot just to get the feel of it. There's a huge difference doing that as opposed to putting that thing up against his face. Like you said the 6.5 ain't exactly a kicker, so if you're worried let him shoot a few at waist level till he tells you it feels "ok", then have him hold it up around chest level till he's comfortable. After a few rounds like that, he should be ready to aim the gun properly in no time. JMHO....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Hey thanks for the replies guys. That's a good idea of letting him shoot at the hip just for the feel and noise..wish my goofy uncle had tried that with me with that single shot Winchester way back when. I like the suppressor idea but dang it doubles the cost of this rifle plus some. I have an AR-10 brake I found in the parts box I'm gonna try myself before I even let him shoot it. If the reduction is decent, I will likely spring for a decent 6.5 model.