Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bob's Denali Highway Bear

Quote Originally Posted by Scottyhorn22 View Post
    Fish and Game classifies the bears in 13 as brown bears not grizzly.
    Boone and Crockett has its own designated area description:

"A line of separation between the larger growing coastal brown bear and the smaller interior grizzly has been developed such that west and south of this line (to and including Unimak Island) bear trophies are recorded as Alaska brown bear. North and east of this line, bear trophies are recorded as grizzly bear. The boundary line description is as follows: Starting at Pearse Canal and following the Canadian-Alaskan boundary northwesterly to Mt. St. Elias on the 141 degree meridian; thence north along the Canadian-Alaskan boundary to Mt. Natazhat; thence west northwest along the divide of the Wrangell Range to Mt. Jarvis at the western end of the Wrangell Range; thence north along the divide of the Mentasta Range to Mentasta Pass; thence in a general westerly direction along the divide of the Alaska Range to Houston Pass; thence westerly following the 62nd parallel of latitude to the Bering Sea."

But I do think that Unit 13 falls south of the B&C line into brown bear territory. I am not sure what the SCI boundary is though.

We put a unit 13 bear in the B&C records book and it was classified as grizz.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    We put a unit 13 bear in the B&C records book and it was classified as grizz.
    So take care of that skull, Bob! Keep it in a cold, wet area. If it is warm and dry it will shrink noticeably!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

South of the alaska range Boone and Crocket calls them brown bear. Iíve never been able to enter a unit 13 bear as a grizzly. SCI calls unit 13 bears inland grizzly.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    South of the alaska range Boone and Crocket calls them brown bear. Iíve never been able to enter a unit 13 bear as a grizzly. SCI calls unit 13 bears inland grizzly.
    A portion of unit 13 lies right in the heart of the Alaska Range.

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    Take a look at #76 in B&C trophy search. Aren't the talkeetna mountains south of the Alaska Range?

Assuming thatís actually accurate. B n C told me no to unit 13 south of the divide in the alaska range.
    Master guide 212

Did some more digging on B&C's trophy search. There are 494 entries in the book for Grizzly, with minimum score needed of 23 inches. I found 6 entry listing Chisana, 4 entries listing Wrangell Mountains, 1 Klutina river, 1 listing Eureka, and 1 listing the Nuzotins. I barely passed geography back in the day, but I think all of those are south of the Alaska Range??

Our's is in the book, it was shot in Unit 13, listed as such and accepted. Perhaps they need better quality control?

Or I need to make a phone call and get some clarification. Or maybe the lines changed at some point? Who knows. Itís not a big deal to me. Weíve shot bears that woulda make it as brownies anyway but not many guys are interested in it seems like.
    Master guide 212

congrats and great shooting, keep us updated on the tattoo history of that bear

Very nice! Great bear, Bob looks happy as heck. Boone and Crockett is 28 for Brown Bear. While I'd agree that Unit 13 bears harbor more of a Grizzly characteristic than a Brown Bear, the line, defined by B&C (Not fish and game, they do not care) is basically the northern portion of 13 for Grizz vs Brown bear.

Default Tattoo Update! Bob's bear #401

So, a couple of places I got information. Bear was tattooed in Tyone Creek on April 21st, 2011. Estimated at 2 years old at the time. Making it 10 years old upon Bob harvesting it. It was a blonde bear at the time. He was 130 pounds, head width 6.4" X 11.8". He was skinny, according to the notes. He had a male litter mate, also collared and estimated to be 150 pounds. Their mom was also collared. In the flats East of the Little Oshetna. He was pinged at 4 locations. By Lake Louise, then back up the Oshetna, and then he was harvested about 5 miles South of MP 60 Denali Highway on the Clearwater Creek.

Cool information!

Claude
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12