Thread: Parasite identification

Default Parasite identification

I breasted a teal I shot the other day. The breast appeared to be covered with these little white parasites. Almost looked like pinfeather shafts in the meat till I put my glasses on back in the house.
    Can anyone tell me anything about this or has anyone else come across this in duck breasts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!
    WWG1WGA! QANON

Sarcocystis GOOGLE it lots of info on the web.
    DENNY

Rice Breast: "
    It’s a disease (sarcocystis) that strikes ducks, which ingest the eggs of the mature parasite in food or water. After hatching, the baby parasites migrate to the skeletal muscles and form cysts. The cysts resemble grains of rice and run in parallel lines throughout the muscle, usually the breast and thigh.Dabbling ducks — such as the mallard, gadwall , widgeon and so forth — are most susceptible to rice breast.“Duck species that feed in small, shallow waters are more likely to pick it up than, say, a bluebill that spends more of its time in big water,” said Scott Yaich, director of Conservation Operations at Ducks Unlimited.Dabblers also take in a lot of water when feeding, sorting through it for the aquatic plants and the bugs they eat, likely increasing the odds of getting sarcocystis.In contrast, divers hone in on a specific meal, such as clams or mussels."

Hillary moved to NY and I moved out.

Excellent info. Thanks guys. I’ve killed 2.46 million ducks b4 and never recall seeing it.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!
    WWG1WGA! QANON

Quote Originally Posted by cod View Post
    Excellent info. Thanks guys. I’ve killed 2.46 million ducks b4 and never recall seeing it.
    Once, only once but it was a NY duck.

It seems to occur more often when we have low water levels, from my experience. We shot several ducks opening weekend with rice breast. Most of the affected ducks were spoonbills or teal.

I wanted to know what it did to the duck? From what I read it appears that sometimes a duck, or other bird, can become lame from it, but for the most part it doesn't seem to affect them.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

There's a whole entire page about it on the Alaska Department of Fish and Game. FYI, there is a link under species where you can search out parasites by their host species. Under waterfowl it popped right up. Here you go.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...isease.muscle3

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    I wanted to know what it did to the duck? From what I read it appears that sometimes a duck, or other bird, can become lame from it, but for the most part it doesn't seem to affect them.
    In a nutshell, this parasite requires a second (carnivore) host to complete the lifecycle. Apparently the second host is unaffected by the parasite. The duck is the primary host. It is a type of protist, similar to Giardia (beaver fever). The bottom line is this.

Meat is safe for human consumption.
    Cooking meat thoroughly completely kills the parasite.
    Don't feed raw scraps of food to your dog.