Thread: New season preparations

Supporting Member

Default New season preparations

Iím new to ice fishing and this will be my second season ice fishing.
    My rods I purchased new last season and used 2-4 times a month from November to break up.
    Do I need to just replace the lines on each rod?
    I have a hand auger do I replace or sharpen the blades on it? Should I carry spare blades when fishing?
    Replace the rope on the sled with a longer rope for easier pulling.
    This season I am going to be going after pike also what type of rod/line/lures should I look for?
    i picked up a used Clam ice tent. Any preparations for zippers or hubs?

Do you use braided line? I use braid on all my rods and then use 3-5 feet of mono leader on the end and just replace that as needed. For pike lure I would use jigging spoons and soft swim baits. Also set up some tip ups with hooligan or herring.

I wouldn't waste time trying to sharpen blades. You have to do it absolutely perfect for it to work. Just buy a set of new blades and bring them with. You can go anlong time with hand augers blades since your normally not drilling fifty holes every trip

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Supporting Member

I use mono line. I havenít been using leader but I could start.

Do I need to just replace the lines on each rod?Just remove the last 2-3 feet and inspect..
    I have a hand auger do I replace or sharpen the blades on it? I would sharpen. Should I carry spare blades when fishing. Always have a spare set. It could save the day.
    Replace the rope on the sled with a longer rope for easier pulling? Up to your experience.
    i picked up a used Clam ice tent. Any preparations for zippers or hubs. Set it up and inspect it to make sure everything functions and I like to wax zippers to make sure they slide well. Maybe pick up 1-2 extra anchors if it takes them. Any possible repair items you might need?

Hillary moved to NY and I moved out.

I hit the hard water quite a bit (well over 100 outings during winter). I change my braid out each season as well as my fluoro leaders. I always bring extra ice scoopers (because if it can happen it will happen), extra stakes for the ice shack (with power drill attachment), inventory all my jigs and order replacements before the season starts (hot items will always sell out and usually stay sold for a while). You can wax zippers to help combat freeze up. I usually do a service on my augers (gas) and check blades (and carry spare blades). Going over poles and reels (and lubing reels).

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."