Thread: Made some changes to my Winchester 70

Supporting Member

Default Made some changes to my Winchester 70

I have several Winchester stainless classics. One is a .375 that had a silver Leupold 3x9 on it. Years ago I camo painted the rifle and scope. Well now that moose hunting is over I went at it again. I scrubbed the paint off the metal. Left it on the stock. Pulled the 3x9 off and mounted up a 3.5x10 50mm Leupold. It is also a silver model. Bore sited it already. Sure looks different now. Love hammering moose with this thing with 300 grain Barnes X bullets. The stock has a Decelerator pad on it. Butler Creek stretchy sling. It's a nice setup.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Post a picture- everyone loves mod 70!

I believe in some ways the Mod. 70 "Classic" may be the best Mod. 70, others swear by the Pre-64. I have and use both and my custom Mod. 70 "Classic Stainless" .338 Winny is usually what I hunt with. I always felt Winchester put to much barrel diameter on their .375 H&H. Makes it to heavy for my old butt, but nice for shooting off the bench.

About 10 years ago I bought a "Classic Stainless" in .375 and gifted it to my son-in-law. One of the first things I did was have a local gun smith grind off some of the follower so the rifle now holds 4 rounds in the magazine instead of 3. The extractor was tweaked a bit so it will allow a chamber load of a single round with little effort. Something big claw extractor rifles don't always like to do.

I then had the barrel cut to 22 inches, added some New England Custom Guns iron sights, replaced the extractor and magazine follower spring with spring steel ones from Williams Gun Sight Company as some of the early "Classics" used stamped instead of spring steel for these parts. The scope base receiver holes were drilled for the robust 8x40 screws.

I told him if he wants to improve the rifle more he could get a stock from Bansners and one piece Obendorf style bottom metal from Williams. I also told him if he runs out of ammo he could beat on a bears head all day and not bend that heavy barrel. LOL

I don't think he has ever fired that rifle and like me, uses a Mod. 70 "Classic Stainless" .338 for hunting up here. He should at least shoot it.

Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    I believe in some ways the Mod. 70 "Classic" may be the best Mod. 70, others swear by the Pre-64. I have and use both and my custom Mod. 70 "Classic Stainless" .338 Winny is usually what I hunt with. I always felt Winchester put to much barrel diameter on their .375 H&H. Makes it to heavy for my old butt, but nice for shooting off the bench.

About 10 years ago I bought a "Classic Stainless" in .375 and gifted it to my son-in-law. One of the first things I did was have a local gun smith grind off some of the follower so the rifle now holds 4 rounds in the magazine instead of 3. The extractor was tweaked a bit so it will allow a chamber load of a single round with little effort. Something big claw extractor rifles don't always like to do.

I then had the barrel cut to 22 inches, added some New England Custom Guns iron sights, replaced the extractor and magazine follower spring with spring steel ones from Williams Gun Sight Company as some of the early "Classics" used stamped instead of spring steel for these parts. The scope base receiver holes were drilled for the robust 8x40 screws.

I told him if he wants to improve the rifle more he could get a stock from Bansners and one piece Obendorf style bottom metal from Williams. I also told him if he runs out of ammo he could beat on a bears head all day and not bend that heavy barrel. LOL

I don't think he has ever fired that rifle and like me, uses a Mod. 70 "Classic Stainless" .338 for hunting up here. He should at least shoot it.
    All my Classics have had the follower and spring changed so they hold one more round. Also remove the block in the back of the magazine so I can use a longer oal.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    All my Classics have had the follower and spring changed so they hold one more round. Also remove the block in the back of the magazine so I can use a longer oal.
    huh... wasting money

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post

by the time stainless classics in the 375 hit the seen they were already using Williams extractors... towards the end of the new haven run they were using Williams bottom metal as well..

I have a Model 70 I a few years ago and maybe some of you can give me some more info on it. It is pretty heavy and have a thick barrel, the receiver is a matte finish and it is marked Super Express on the barrell and floorplate and has a gloss blue finish and a satin finish on the wood. The gent I bought it from lost his battle with cancer earlier this year.It is a beautiful rifle and has a thick red recoil pad.
    The weight helps to keep the recoil manageable. It is stamped Made in New Haven and is like new except some of the blueing worn off the muzzle. He had a Leupold 2x7VXll which to me is perfect. The one odd thing are the rings which have the screws on the bottom, never seen that before. Pretty sure he told me it was bought in the early 70's. SER is G163xxxx and tips the scale @ 9lb 13oz.
    After checking I found it was made in 1982.

Supporting Member

I have a set of rings that the screws come in from the bottom. I'm thin king they may be Burris.

I've had a few sets of those that screw in from the bottom and the were Redfield. They looked good but were a pain in the keester.