Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Diesel Auxiliary heater?

Default Diesel Auxiliary heater?

I am looking into adding an auxiliary heater for my boat. The diesel heaters are looking mighty good and I would like to know who has installed them and how they like them and any issues you had with the installation.

I am looking at the Airtronic 2 by Espar

I have a 22 foot Wooldridge so this should provide plenty of heat no matter what weather we encounter.

Rob

I have a Wallas for my 24-ft boat. It's a stove top (two burners)/heater. Usually have to keep it near low because it heats so well. Spendy, though. Not hard to install, just takes some time.

I have the Wallas 1300, runs on diesel or kerosene (I run mine on kerosene - eliminates blacks streaks on the outside of the boat near the exhaust). The only negative about the things regardless of brand is that they're SPENDY.

Good luck, mine was necessary to get the spousal unit to come on board (along with the head!).

SH

I know what you mean about SPENDY!

I have looked at the Wallas and Espar and both run about the same price range.

SH do you have any pictures of the install on yours? Curious where you ran the exhaust plumbing and mounted the unit. What did you do for a fuel tank for it? I was thinking of mounting one under my bow, since the factory heater is there already. Then mounting a 5 gallon fuel tank under one of my bench seats. Figured it wouldn't use more than that in 3-5 days.

Are you guys getting any condensation while running yours or do they do a good job drying things out?

Mine dries things out. That's one reason I bought it. I used to have an alcohol cooktop and that put out lots of moisture. The Wallas recirculates the interior air. By raising the temperature, you lower the relative humidity and so it gets dry. It comes with (maybe it's purchased separately) a fuel container that's a little larger than one gallon. If kept on low, that's about what I'll burn even if I run the thing most of a day and all night.

How about the Dickenson diesel heaters?? They run off of a day tank but so do the other stoves. The one big flaw with the other heaters is that they need battery power to run them and if you get in trouble with a dead battery then you lose your heat. I have heard that the espars go thru the igniters quickly so no igniter= no heat. I have a Dickenson diesel stove on my boat(Bristol model) its been running with no problems for 15 years & if it puked tomorrow i'd buy another one to replace it.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

I have a friend that has a dickenson propane heater. He said even on low it get's really hot, and a 1# disposable propane bottle will last a weekend (not full time use). He has his propane bottle mounted outside the pilothouse for safety.

I think the problem some people have with propane is that it puts moisture in the boat. But that may be the kind that don't vent to the outside.

We have a wallas on our boat in PWS and love it, it hardly uses any fuel, We used dickenson oven type with a cook stove top, out in bristol bay fishing and they work great also, nothing like a warm cabin after picking fish all day.

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    I know what you mean about SPENDY!

I have looked at the Wallas and Espar and both run about the same price range.

SH do you have any pictures of the install on yours? Curious where you ran the exhaust plumbing and mounted the unit. What did you do for a fuel tank for it? I was thinking of mounting one under my bow, since the factory heater is there already. Then mounting a 5 gallon fuel tank under one of my bench seats. Figured it wouldn't use more than that in 3-5 days.

Are you guys getting any condensation while running yours or do they do a good job drying things out?
    Alaska Performance RV is the dealer here in Anchor town. The installed it in the head, venting the heat into the cabin through the bulkhead between the head and the main cabin, and exhausting through the exterior wall. The fuel tank is mounted to the floor behind the head - just have to remember to wash your hands after handling . All in all, an elegant solution. If the doors and windows are kept closed, the cabin is very nice in less than 15 minutes. I am planning on adding a defroster fan to keep the windows clear - even on days when I don't run the heater the windows will fog without an air draft in the cabin.

Will take some photos to post . . .

SH

I have a Wallas stove/heater on my C-Dory and I love it. Here are some pictures of a 1300 installation. http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?s...view_album.php

Default Alcohol Stoves / Solid Fuel

I was just thinking about a different stove than the Propane one burner and the Catolitic type we have now, adds way to much water vapor inside my 22' Explorer Bayliner.
    Been on Origo Alcohol Stove web site, and they seem pretty good, but no info or feed back on water vapor output. Any body know?, has to be less than propane.
    The other one might be the Dickinson Solid Fuel Heater, could use one match light brickette and rest stanard charcoal. A bag would last a long time with the air shut down.??
    The heat during running for the wife it great but it's that first thing in the morning Burrrrrr

Quote Originally Posted by alaskapiranha View Post
    I was just thinking about a different stove than the Propane one burner and the Catolitic type we have now, adds way to much water vapor inside my 22' Explorer Bayliner.
    Been on Origo Alcohol Stove web site, and they seem pretty good, but no info or feed back on water vapor output. Any body know?, has to be less than propane.
    The other one might be the Dickinson Solid Fuel Heater, could use one match light brickette and rest stanard charcoal. A bag would last a long time with the air shut down.??
    The heat during running for the wife it great but it's that first thing in the morning Burrrrrr
    If you're talking about the Origo heater/stove, my understanding is that it's junk. The alcohol WILL put moisture into the cabin. If you use a Mr. Heater (Little Buddy, Big Buddy) that uses propane (I think that Coleman makes one, too), and you're getting moisture in the cabin, then you can expect the same results from burning alcohol.

Most people can get by on taking the chill off of the cool cabin in the morning by firing up a Mr. Heater or the like for a few minutes and then just being cold and damp the rest of the day or all night. I did for years. Then I spent a night on a friend's C-Dory and he had a diesel heater (Wallas). Warm, dry air throughout the night (and day if you want) makes things a lot more pleasant. My wife says that it's the best purchase I've made for the boat and I have to agree. I also agree that it's a luxury and it's hard to bite the bullet and pay for one. But if you can do that, then I don't think you'll regret it. I installed my Wallas so that when the day comes that I sell the boat, if the boat I buy doesn't have a diesel heater, I can take the Wallas out and put back in the alcohol burner that originally came with the boat. I can't say that Wallas is the best because I have no experience with other diesel heaters/cooktops. But it works for me.

Default Toyo Stoves

Look at the Toyo Stoves. I installed one in my 22' Hewes. Forced air like the Wallas. Runs on Kerosene. Dry heat. Central Plumbing and Susitna Energy Systems carry them.

I originally thought about using a coleman, zodi, or big buddy style propane heaters but really would like to get rid of the condensation and increase the drying abilities. Kids manage to get everything wet and the clothing takes forever to dry.

I like Dickenson stoves but they are a bit large for my application. If it was an ocean boat then it would be a different story.

Alcohol is out for the same reasons propane are. That leaves diesel.

Does anyone beside Wallas and Espar make compact forced air diesel heaters? I have been doing plenty of internet searches and have found very few manufacturers.

There are several comments on here about the type of fuel producing or not producing humidity. It is the design of the stove that determines that, not what it burns. There are both diesel and propane stoves that draw and vent to the outside. I have a Dickensen Fireplace propane stove. It has a small glass front so you can see the fire and is pleasant in the evenings. The only drawback with this stove that I've found is that the fan is noisey.

Default Good info

I have a 1 burner Propane burner and a "Buddy" cat heater. What I really don't need is a 12vdc or a fan unit. The boat is small enough to stay warm with very little heat so a fan would be way over kill.
    Here is a PDF of the Dickinson Solid Fuel unit. Would do the trick and wouldn't take a lot of charcoal, presto-log or pellets to warm things up perfect?
    Last edited by alaskapiranha; 04-27-2008 at 15:10.

We have been using an espar for several years now, run it on kerosene and love it. It is small so the install is nice and clean, doesn't use hardly any fuel or battery. It keeps everything dry, even the windows which have defroster ducts going up to them. We have used it clear into december for deer hunting.

Default Photos of the Wallas 1300 Installed

Here's some pics of the install . .
    The unit mounted to the port bulkhead in the head and the exhaust ported out the port side
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default More Photos of the Wallas 1300 Installed . . .

More . . photos showing the heat vent into the cabin and the fuel tank behind the head . . .
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast