Thread: Toklat for sale!

Default Toklat for sale!

But it will cost you way more than you can get one elsewhere! I am really liking this thumper. One hundred +P 45s went down range on Saturday and then another couple hundred yesterday afternoon. What I found out is that 10 grains of Unique and a 250 grain SNS cast bullet shoots to same point of aim out to 35 yards as does 25 Grains of Lilgun and a 250 grain XTP(or real close). Obviously I don't want to be shooting hundreds of Hornady 250 grain XTPs at $35/100.

I retire in 280 days. Then I am going to build a cabin at the end of my son's 100 yard pistol range so I can shoot right off the porch rain or shine. He's gonna pay for it too.

I can't say that I like the Toklat any better than my 45 Bisley but it has gained a lot of ground. I'll keep em both! The Toklat has one of the best double action lock ups that I have ever experienced but shooting it DA is a ways down the road!

Yup it is a beautiful beast.....but right now it's kinda dirty!

Awesome to hear you're enjoying it!

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Ok you hog leg shooting desperado, lets talk "double action" shooting, if that is what we are calling it. Take that big hand cannon and dry fire it a couple of hundred times a day. As you are doing this refine your grip and watch the front sight. After the hammer falls concentrate on keeping the front sight on the target. Eventually you will see the front sight staying on the target after the hammer falls. Do this at least 3,000 times.

The trigger pull is the most important part of shooting a handgun and takes some work. Once you have the front sight staying on the target after the hammer falls then remember that trigger pull and do it the same way every time, master it. No staging the trigger, just one straight through smooth pull. As with any thing new, we go slow and speed naturally increases as we become better.

If it gets to be frustrating then I will swap ya and old reliable pocket knife for that Toklat. Congrats on the looming retirement day. Don't tell your wife like I did. If ya do then the "honey do or die" list grows very long and never ends. Just sneak a gun and some bullets into your hot rod, pack a lunch and act like your going to work. You can practice shooting all day. Good shooting Pard!

Well I can shoot my SP101 pretty good in the DA mode but after a couple tries with heavy rounds in the Toklat I decided that one at a time would be fine. I also shot my Bisley 45 Colt a bunch this past weekend. I'm thinking that I am good on deer with that rascal to about 75 yards. It really like those 250 grain SNS bullets at a tad over 1000 fps. That is way plenty for making a whitetail leak out of both sides at the same time! The Bisley shoots the 45 Colt ammo more better than the Toklat. .452 vs .454 might have something to do with that.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    Well I can shoot my SP101 pretty good in the DA mode but after a couple tries with heavy rounds in the Toklat I decided that one at a time would be fine. I also shot my Bisley 45 Colt a bunch this past weekend. I'm thinking that I am good on deer with that rascal to about 75 yards. It really like those 250 grain SNS bullets at a tad over 1000 fps. That is way plenty for making a whitetail leak out of both sides at the same time! The Bisley shoots the 45 Colt ammo more better than the Toklat. .452 vs .454 might have something to do with that.
    When I shoot my 44 mag DA with one hand, it is not easy on my paw.

I have not mastered DA shooting, even with other guns. I have a cupla DAO pistols, Sooo I is workin on it.

Gimme some TIPS for DA.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

338mag summed it up very well. Lots of dry firing until you can pull the trigger smoothly and fairly fast without the front sight moving from your target. Then load a couple or three cyls with ammo and concentrate on a solid hold on target with the front sight not moving when you drop the hammer on an empty cyl. Don't try to do this all in a day or two but ten rounds a day with a partial cyl of ammo will get you where you want after a while. When you do practice don't just plink. Concentrate on proper trigger control. Poor practice procedures will produce poor results. Pulling the trigger on an empty cyl expecting it to go bang will teach you exactly why you aren't hitting where you think you should. Oh, use both hands. No reason to make it any harder than needed. Always use everything available to help put your bullet where you want it. This is not Olympic target shooting.

Smitty, I have DA pretty much mastered with my SP101 and it's like 338mag and Rbuck say. You have to maintain the sight picture through pulling of the trigger and the hammer fall. My tendency has always been for the front sight to jump to the right when the hammer fell in the DA mode. Well that's an easy fix...just aim a little left when firing DA. That's fine and dandy if every shot is going to be fired from the same distance but a little left at 10 yards is a lot left at 50 yards. Then about 4 or 5 years ago I made up my mind that I was going to do it the right way. Brownbear advised me to practice cocking the hammer with my trigger finger. S&W and Rugers will usually have a resistance point when the hammer is fully back that you can feel. Any more pressure and the hammer falls. I can feel that point on my SP101 to the point that I can just point the gun and pull the trigger until the hammer is set at the breaking point and hold it there. I then go on and fire the round. I can shoot accurately doing this. So I just kept doing it faster and faster until it was full DA. My SP101 is a snubby and is good for protection only but, I feel confident that at 30 feet or so a bad guy would be leaking from 5 holes in short order.....and that's all I ask of that gun. I can dry fire the Toklat and do pretty much the same thing. It's when I load it up with them stiff loads that the game changes. Most likely I won't ever have to shoot it DA anyway....we are the top of the food chain in Ioway and anything that decided to come for me would be in the form of an ornery dog or meth head etc... The Sp101 will handle them fine!

My friend John and I went to the county outdoor range after work yesterday. He had a new Glock 17 that he was dying to shoot. The whole 25 miles to the range I heard about his awesome Glock. I like Glocks and they are very fine guns but I told John that no matter what gun he spent his hard earned money on it was as only as good as his ability to use it as they don't shoot themselves. He shot up a box of 50 rounds getting a little familiar with it then I had him square up with the 8 inch gong at 10 yards. I said shoot it like it's a bad guy shooting at you. He got off 5 rounds and then a jam. He cleared the jam and got off about 5 more and it jammed again. He cleared the second jam and finished off the remaining rounds in the magazine. He then started complaining about his clunker jamming. I said let my shoot it. He handed me a magazine that contained 14 rounds. I said John this will hold three more rounds. He said his thumb wasn't strong enough to get the other three pushed down. I then fired 14 rounds in around 10 seconds which isn't fast DA and hit the gong 14 out of 14 shots without a hick-up. I told him the gun was jamming because he was holding it like a wuss. The action cycles with the recoil of the gun and he was limp wristing it so bad that the action couldn't cycle. I then let him shoot five rounds through my SP101 in the DA mode and two of them hit in the dirt halfway to the gong.

On the way home John was bewildered and made a comment about me making him look bad...even though it was just the two of us there, which indicate he really had his pride hurt. I told him that all I heard all the way down to the range was about your great new pistol and how you were set for life. It is a super pistol but only as good as you make it and that's the point that I was trying to get across. I told him that I had put 10,000 rounds through my SP101 last 2 years and probably 2-3,000 more this year. I told him that anyone can own a handgun but only the guys that pay their dues in trigger time become proficient enough to know how good that pistol actually is. I told john that I was only average and that there were a several levels above my ability. John is on board hook line and sinker. He wants to learn to shoot his handgun......and I want to reach the next level. Watching his progress id going to be fun!

So many bullets and so little time!

Yeah, OK, guys. I'll keep at it.

I've been dry firing.

Thanks, SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

Firing a wheel gun with a partial load shows folks exactly why their bullets aren't going where they think they should. When they pull the trigger on an empty cyl and the sights are no where near the target, you don't have to tell them what went wrong. You no longer have to tell them they are flinching they can see it on their own and quite clearly. Convincing someone they are flinching is the most difficult part of teaching someone to shoot a handgun. Not flinching is the only hard part of shooting handguns.

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    Firing a wheel gun with a partial load shows folks exactly why their bullets aren't going where they think they should. When they pull the trigger on an empty cyl and the sights are no where near the target, you don't have to tell them what went wrong. You no longer have to tell them they are flinching they can see it on their own and quite clearly. Convincing someone they are flinching is the most difficult part of teaching someone to shoot a handgun. Not flinching is the only hard part of shooting handguns.
    I shall try that tip.

However, I'm already convinced that I flinch.

SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

Cool Toklat for sale!

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    I shall try that tip.

However, I'm already convinced that I flinch.

SOTN
    NO NO NO Just like a puppy, you got to train it. You just send me that ill behaved toklat and I'll train it to shoot exactly where you want it to.