Thread: CCI Quiet .22's

Default CCI Quiet .22's

http://www.cci-ammunition.com/produc...e=5&loadNo=960

I have heard a lot about subsonic rounds so the other day I picked up a box of these. They sound like someone is clapping their hands when they go off; no hearing protection needed for hunting. I had to use the "post" on my scope instead of the crosshairs to be on at ten yards. I want to sight in better than that but only one store in town has any of these. I really want to use the trajectory that CCI lists as that might be ideal for hares and spruce hens. One note: In a semiauto, they are not going to cycle the action. You now have a bolt action.

My first hare was about 25 yards out last night and put the post on his head and squeezed. Bunny ran off! I was wondering if these things were going to work. I walked up and found him about 5 feet away, dead. Next one, 20 yards, head shot and planted him. Third bunny was the longest shot at about 40 yards and same thing, flat down. That one surprised me with my lack of sight in. Next one was only 15 feet and he never knew what hit him. Best thing, no losses. They seem to kill very well with head shots.

I don't know what the cycle for hares is but I saw about 20 more that I could not shoot at or spooked. I only try head shots and hope for a shot less than 30 yards.

Either way, I now have 9-10 hares all put away for the winter and have 3 more weeks of hunting before leaving for NY to bow hunt for deer.
    Last edited by Daveinthebush; 09-23-2019 at 11:28. Reason: Wrong link

Hillary moved to NY and I moved out.

I'm glad to hear you are having luck with the CCI .22 LR Quiet Ammo. Personally, I prefer the CCI Mini Mags but whatever works for you.
    Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

They appear quiet enough that many of the hares, if missed, just sit there wondering what happened. CCI has another round at 835 fps, that is made for semiautos but none in town here.

Seems to me that if noise is an issue , an air gun would be more practical .
    Rabbits here have been taken with a CO2 pistol @100' 400 FPS 177 cal BB gun.
    Most air rifles deliver 600 -1200 FPS 177 or.22 cal. and you can get nuts with it and get into Pre-charged Pneumatic rifles that are comparable to fire arms up to .50 cal. People are taking buffalo with .
    If noise is an issue there are a lot of excuses/options out there.
    I am told that the Benjamin Marauder in .25 cal is extraordinary quiet, My brother has one.
    Something air gun companies do, fire arms companies don't, is provide customer reviews . Pyramid air provides these.

American Air Gunner is an excellent show on what air rifles can do. I have a .22 air rifle and it makes just about the same amount of noise as the Quiet 22's. Mine kills squirrels easily and grouse. I prefer the bow but fall seems to be lingering on and many of the leaves and taller grasses are blocking shots. Pretty soon I will switch to that. For those that don't want to purchase an additional rifle and have a .22 already these work great.

Compare the CCI CB Long to the Quiet 22. They're even quieter.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Shoot a grouse in the body with a CCI CB 22 and they fall out of the tree, with a 22 LR they will often fly off and die. Don't shoot at hardened fence board or they will bounce back I know! In a 22 Rifle they are very quiet.

My problem is the availability of ammunition over here. Four stores, and it almost like the "ammunition shortage" all over again for .22's.
    When I get to Anchorage next I want to purchase some different rounds and maybe ( I have to check the safe for room room) a .22 capable of cycling the smaller cased rounds. All I have currently is a 10/22 and fingers that are too big to get into the action. Thinking about a Henry pump .22.

I have a 77/22 and love it. But with the CBs I use it as a single shot. (I don't recall if I've ever tried to feed the CB Longs from the magazine. I'll have to check again someday. They might actually feed).
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It