Thread: Jet boat mishap, could've been worse

Supporting Member

Default Jet boat mishap, could've been worse

Video of me wrecking in a bouldery stretch and some thoughts. How many jet boaters wear kill cord leashes while boating? I grew up running skiffs and dont know anyone that does but am rethinking that.

Glad everything came out OK. I don't wear my kill strap either. Maybe I should.

I don't wear mine, never have. Perhaps I need to reconsider. Glad everything ended up ok.
    Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

I stand up while driving my jon boat with it's 50hp TLDI jet, so I always wear my kill strap on my wrist. It wouldn't be hard to get knocked over or out of the boat if you're not paying attention. Only takes a second to put it on.

after one of our drivers got thrown overboard with a customer, we all wore them clipped to a vest, no way i would not wear one, standing up at the helm of my boat with a load of people

Supporting Member

My brother went overboard out of my set net skiff in Chinitna Bay one April. When he went his foot caught the kill tether and took it with him. He was wearing a life vest under green rain gear on a nasty rainy day. The wind took over and was pushing my skiff away from him. I didn't want to take my eyes off him, but the engine wasn't restarting. Quickly I looked down and notice the tether gone, and reattached another. Motor fired and I went and picked him up. Drug him in over the motor and transom. Surprisingly he was only half water logged. The pressure from the water pushed the rain gear against him. He had hip waders on. I motored to shore and dropped him off so he could get to our cabin while I motored around to where I had a running line out for the boat. By the time I got to the cabin he had the rain gear and boots off and was stoking the wood stove. Can't imagine how it would have been if I had lost my brother under those circumstances.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    ...Can't imagine how it would have been if I had lost my brother under those circumstances.
    Friend of mine lost his wife and dog fishing somewhere over in that same neck of the woods. Boat flipped and the next thing he remembers was waking up on shore with is dog, dead laying next to him, and his wife was never found...
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Friend of mine lost his wife and dog fishing somewhere over in that same neck of the woods. Boat flipped and the next thing he remembers was waking up on shore with is dog, dead laying next to him, and his wife was never found...
    Thats terrible!!!