Thread: I found a Firearm near Nikiski

Supporting Member

Default I found a Firearm near Nikiski

Almost 2 weeks ago. I notified the Troopers and posted all over social media. If you lost it and can identify it I'll get it back to you.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Oops.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Does Kenai still have a "Lost and Found" on the radio? Weird with Facebook etc. some one has not come forward. Surely the Troopers ran it through the data base for stolen guns. I mean surely.....Any way, I hope the owner turns up and good on you for turning it in Sir!

Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    Does Kenai still have a "Lost and Found" on the radio? Weird with Facebook etc. some one has not come forward. Surely the Troopers ran it through the data base for stolen guns. I mean surely.....Any way, I hope the owner turns up and good on you for turning it in Sir!
    Yeah they ran the number. If I lost one, I'd be calling the Troopers. Best I can figure is someone may not know they lost it yet. Wait till next time they check that bug out bag. "What the...……..…,where's my gun?"

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

It's Mine. Where is Nikiski?

Just kiddin.
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Where is Nikiski?

I think it is in JAPAN.

Well good on you for doing what you can to get it back to the owner but hey, if a month goes by and there are no hits I’d say it’s a lucky find for you.

Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by iyouktug View Post
    Well good on you for doing what you can to get it back to the owner but hey, if a month goes by and there are no hits I’d say it’s a lucky find for you.
    It could take longer before someone realizes it's missing. I'd get it back to the owner anytime they could identify it.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    It could take longer before someone realizes it's missing. I'd get it back to the owner anytime they could identify it.
    me...wow..I would notice a lot sooner than a month that a gun fell out of my bag, that's just me

THANK YOU for being an honest person and looking out for the best interest of all of us, not many people out there like that anymore

Might also put on Craigs List Lost and found . Thanks for your effort.

Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by papabear3 View Post
    me...wow..I would notice a lot sooner than a month that a gun fell out of my bag, that's just me

THANK YOU for being an honest person and looking out for the best interest of all of us, not many people out there like that anymore
    I knew a guy that found a gps several years ago. I told him that the 'home' waypoint would let him know where the owner lived. "Home' was in Soldotna and I could pinpoint the house. Guy said to bad for the person that lost it. Funny thing is the guy who found it was too technologically illiterate to learn how to use it. I told him he was a dick.

Always good to try and return a lost item, but after a certain period of time if no claims are made that item needs to go to the finder. My opinion is 30 days.

I found a GPS tracking collar in the woods once. I laid it along with the dead dog wearing it in the field drive next to the road. I also laid the dead fawn that I watched that dog kill next to the dog. I figured the guy wanted the collar back and an explanation of why I shot his dog!

I also one time found two naked bodies on a blanket in my woods. Near as I could tell they were a long ways from dead so figuring that they had already SCREWED up my hunt I just backed up out of sight and fired my handgun into a the ground. They musta got found cuz I never saw them again.

SmokeRoss: Compared to my finds yours is a good one. If it becomes a slipper without a foot then I hope it's a good slipper!

Found a beautiful bluetick coon hound while hiking in Idaho. It was emaciated and wearing a defunct tracker. Took him home and bathed him, cleaned some minor wounds, fed him, called the owner who lived 200 miles from my home (had a collar with number). Dog was a sweet boy and was being trained for mountain lion hunting when it got away from the other hounds and the tracker was not working. Guy had looked for it for almost a month. Dog was so hungry it had ants in his poo. Family that came to pick him up the next day were thrilled and offered a reward which I declined. As outdoor people we should help each other out when possible.

Sometimes people get in a rush when packing or loading and set things down and forget about it. When I was in Montana and packing up the truck in a downpour, I thought my friend put my rod in the camper shell and she hadn't- realized it a few miles down the road and it was gone when I returned. Stuff happens and it is nice that folks for the most part are honest and try to do the right thing. Good on you SmokeRoss.

Supporting Member

The 'moral' here is, never set anything valuable on the roof, trunk, or bumper of your vehicle. Never lean a rifle up against it. It will disappear into the abyss never to be seen again. My wife (ex) once set my Winchester model 70 on the roof of our vehicle. I got in before she did. She got in and we began to depart. When I backed up to turn around, I heard something rattle off the roof and onto the road. Yup, my model 70. Ruined the scope, but at least I didn't lose the rifle. I would have missed that rifle more than I do her.

Back when I was 17 I was invited to go along on a Missouri deer hunt. They told me that I could hunt anywhere that I wanted as long as I didn't cross any fences. It was 8,000 acres of brush. Fences? What fences? I shot a fork horn buck at 10 AM of the opening day of the hunt. I leaned my pre 64 Winchester 30-30 against a tree and drug that buck around in circles for the rest of the day. I found the camper with a half hour of daylight to spare......then I hunted the next two days for the tree that my rifle leaned against. I found it still sitting where I placed it and then found my way back out. Lets just say I knew a whole lot more about that 8,000 acre patch at the end of the three day hunt than I did going in. I slept until noon on the 4th day! The rifle never was lost. Twas me that was lost!

A week ago a lady at the Casey's store buckled her little one in the back seat on the passenger side and set her purse on the roof while doing so. Then she went around and got in and drove off. The purse rolled of onto the concrete driveway. She hit the 4 lane and was gone. I found her drivers license in a side pouch of her purse next to the maxi pads and drove the 8 miles to her house to return her purse. It can happen!

Supporting Member

Sometimes they set the kid in the car seat on the roof and drive off. Never set anything on the roof, trunk, or bumper.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    The 'moral' here is, never set anything valuable on the roof, trunk, or bumper of your vehicle. Never lean a rifle up against it.
    The other day I did something that I never thought I'd do.....I ran over my rifle with my wheeler! We had stopped and got off of them and I leaned it up against the BACK of the rig....which I'd never done before. I think we grabbed a bite to eat while standing there talking. When I jumped back on, backed up, and headed down the trail, about 100 yards down, I sensed something didn't "feel right" and realized it was because I couldn't see my rifle on the rack, and didn't have it hanging off my shoulder, I knew exactly what I had done and my heart sank. When I got back and saw it laying there like a dejected sad chunk of road kill, it was still in one piece despite having a 500 pound vehicle run over it! Amazingly enough, when I shot it right away to see how far off the scope was, it looked to still be right on! Apparently the ground was soft enough to give way under it even though I found mud from the tire on the scope! Of course I'll have to check it again off the bench to confirm, but it was pretty hard to believe I actually did that! I guess there's a first for everything. A bad case of CRS that could have ended up much worse! Thank goodness my old blunderbuss is still intact.........this time!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    I found her drivers license in a side pouch of her purse
    Pretty much did the same thing with a lady's wallet. I had just started driving out of town when I found it in the middle of the highway. That wallet stayed on her roof for dang near a mile before it fell off. Needless to say the lady was ecstatic when I contacted her.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

When I lived outside I would always check the on/off ramps and over the years found a small fortune in tools, most still in the plastic factory box