Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 37 of 37

Thread: Colt suspending AR-15 sales to civilians

  1. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Southwest Alaska
    Posts
    2,226

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lowrider View Post
    Hmmm... I watched a young troop with an M-16 kill a stampeding water buff with one round square in the head...made me see that puny little round in a different way. I hear natives are killing sea lions and polar bears with .223...never seen that but that's what I read on the internet.
    Friend of mine out in Kotlik took his 10-yo daughter out day before yesterday looking for moose. She caught a 55" with a shot to the head. DPMS AR-15 clone. $50 worth of gas, $1.00 for ammunition; 900 pounds of meat and bones for soup for the winter. I'll see if he can send me the photo to post here.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

    Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

    You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

  2. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Eureka MT
    Posts
    3,171

    Default

    The guy I saw shoot a moose full of holes wasn't native and he wasn't subsistance hunting and wasn't much of a sportsman either. However, even several rounds of a 223 in the lungs or head of a moose will tear up little meat. If the only rifle I had was a mini 14 in 223 and I couldn't get a head shot, I would put as many rounds as it took in his lungs and not worry much about a little lost rib meat.

  3. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Southwest Alaska
    Posts
    2,226

    Default

    Here you go. I was wrong. 61 1/2".
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

    Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

    You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

  4. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,383

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    Here you go. I was wrong. 61 1/2".

    Spanis saying- pequeno pero potente. Small but potent! Gret moose and picture.

  5. #25
    Member gunbugs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    1,517

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    with a shot to the head
    Bullet placement. It's everything. Even a little gun can do great things.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

  6. #26

    Default

    Back when my voice was cracking bad and the DNR had few rules I put lots of meat in the freezer with an RWS pellet rifle. Plunk a half grown deer in the ribs with a 22 caliber pellet, give it an hour then follow it's tracks in the snow. Get 1 pellet in the lungs and they would drown in their own blood everytime.

    I bet Inuits of 150 years ago would have traded a whole winters worth of furs for a majical 223.

  7. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Soldotna
    Posts
    604

    Default

    F Colt!
    Get one from Ruger or just about any other manufacture, a manufacture that supports the 2A!!

  8. #28

    Default

    I spent several years shooting and training others to qualify with a Mini 14 back in the early 90's. I never cared for them and did not find them to be very accurate or especially reliable. Others loved them.

    For sure there is lots of good .223 ammo now that was not available years ago. I enjoy the AR platform of rifles and don't plan on ever being without them.

  9. #29
    Member gunbugs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    1,517

    Default

    I just remember Colt not really being "civilian friendly" even back in the day. They were the first, even before the AWB, to remove flash hiders, put a big steel block in the lower receivers, go to oversize, non-standard trigger/hammer pins, and have the funky screw, oversize front receiver pivot pin. Even though none of that was required by law at the time. Colt has been living off the Government tit for a very long time, and has viewed the civilian sales a pretty much a bother. The times I had to deal with them on warranty work was typically a nightmare, with the guns being returned without repairs actually being made. Again, I never thought their stuff was all that great anyway. Shiney on the outside, rough on the inside. If you want an expensive AR or 1911 there are plenty of quality options better than what they offer, or did offer. I will spend my money somewhere other than Colt. If they abandon the customer, perhaps the customer should abandon them....
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

  10. #30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    I just remember Colt not really being "civilian friendly" even back in the day. They were the first, even before the AWB, to remove flash hiders, put a big steel block in the lower receivers, go to oversize, non-standard trigger/hammer pins, and have the funky screw, oversize front receiver pivot pin. Even though none of that was required by law at the time. Colt has been living off the Government tit for a very long time, and has viewed the civilian sales a pretty much a bother. The times I had to deal with them on warranty work was typically a nightmare, with the guns being returned without repairs actually being made. Again, I never thought their stuff was all that great anyway. Shiney on the outside, rough on the inside. If you want an expensive AR or 1911 there are plenty of quality options better than what they offer, or did offer. I will spend my money somewhere other than Colt. If they abandon the customer, perhaps the customer should abandon them....
    Just not to long ago one we took a Colt Commander and an ATI Commander apart for comparison. I'd rather have the ATI. Sometimes the old saying "You get what you pay for" doesn't always ring true. Sometimes you are paying extra for the name on the gun and that would be true with Colt.

  11. #31
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    9,142

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    Just not to long ago one we took a Colt Commander and an ATI Commander apart for comparison. I'd rather have the ATI. Sometimes the old saying "You get what you pay for" doesn't always ring true. Sometimes you are paying extra for the name on the gun and that would be true with Colt.
    That clinches it. I wouldn't buy a Bolt from Colt. AND, who needs Wal-Mart? Not me.
    SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

  12. #32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    That clinches it. I wouldn't buy a Bolt from Colt. AND, who needs Wal-Mart? Not me.
    SOTN
    I had to go to Walmart the other night as mother needed something from the craft department that she couldn't get elsewhere in town. I cringed the whole time that I was there. Then when I got home I went poop! My back side don't roost necked on no turlet in that establishment. A feller could wind up with a bad limp in a day or two from sumptin what he caught from that turlet. Somethin else I learnt on that trip to Wally World.....they make spandex that would fit the back side of a Rhino....and would look better on the Rhino.....man that gal was a big ole heifer! She oughta winter real good! Ya just can't unsee some things...or I would!

    Sorry boys but SOTN brung up Wally World and I done had me a flashback!

  13. #33
    Member Daveinthebush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Valdez, Alaska
    Posts
    5,510

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    .....they make spandex that would fit the back side of a Rhino....and would look better on the Rhino.!
    The one thing about spandex is it doesn't tell lies!

    Hillary moved to NY and I moved out.


  14. #34
    Member 4merguide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
    Posts
    11,454

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    The one thing about spandex is it doesn't tell lies!
    Yup, either way they don't leave nothin' to the imagination that's for sure! Some are pure gifts from God, and others, I wish, should have never heard the term, "If ya got it....flaunt it"
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

  15. #35

    Default

    I shot my Mini-14 last night . It was the first time that it's been fired in a while and I heard it whimper when I walked past the safe so took it along to the range. The mini 14 has come a long ways since its introduction. I remember back when the early ones would barely put a magazine full onto a pie plate at 100 yards. This one will shoot into an inch and a half hot or cold with Hith Hornady 40 grain VMaxes and 22 grains of IMR 4198 at almost 3500fps.

  16. #36

    Default

    Exactly! Over the last 10 or so years, MSR manufacturing exploded with new ones every month. The demand created it! Even manufactures who made lowers and parts for most of them got into full rifle market. Sales are very stagnant now and some of these smaller manufactures are starting to struggle as the demand is waning. Prices are starting to drop. Colt took this time to work on their government contact is all. And to possible create a demand?


    Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    The market is flooded with ARs of many different makes so unless you just gotta have a Colt, I don't see ARs becoming difficult or expensive to get.

  17. #37

    Default

    Wow! Way to go, Kid! Very proud young lady there, and Mom and Dad too, I'll bet...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •