Thread: Sitka Anyone???

Default Sitka Anyone???

Hi everybody.....I posted a question earlier asking how the fishing has been in Sitka and as yet have no reply.......Is there no one out there in Sitka Cyberland who can respond? Thanks ........... Californian

The weather has been windy and kept many boats from fishing halibut. When able to fish the rod hours were 3 last week for halibut, which is normal. Kings rod hours were 3 last week, which is good or normal. Coho are not in yet and the rod hours were 20.

Default thanks much

Quote Originally Posted by maackman
    The weather has been windy and kept many boats from fishing halibut. When able to fish the rod hours were 3 last week for halibut, which is normal. Kings rod hours were 3 last week, which is good or normal. Coho are not in yet and the rod hours were 20.
    Maackman......Thanks to you for your response....I hope it isn't windy next week when I come up to Sitka.......however I'm not sure what 3 rod hours mean....does it mean it takes an average of 3 hours to land a halibut or King Salmon..? Again, Thanks..........Californian

Rod hours are the number of hours a rod is in the water before it gets a fish on average. So if halibut it 4 rod hours and you have 4 fisherman per boat and each have a rod in the water, you will be cathing a fish every hour. So when coho get to one rod hour a boat of 4 is cathing one every 15 minutes. What a blast. As far as you go next week the king fishing is excellent no better place in the state for rod hours and fresh firm fish. Windy or not for salmon you will be able to stay in the inside water of Sitka Sound that are somewhat protected from the wind. Cannot fish for halibut in these water they are saved for the locals so hopefully the winds cooperate and you can go out of Sitka Sound for all species. Good luck and remember a bad day a fishing is better than the best day of work. Most of all have fun and enjoy the beautiful country.

Default Nice info

Maakman.......thanks again.......much appreciated.......Californian