Thread: Bethel general info, verizon moose etc

Default Bethel general info, verizon moose etc

I arrive Sunday and fly out when done moose hunting, likely with a moose. A few general questions.

1. Will my verizon cell work?
    2. Lets here info about flying out with horns & meat & gear coming home. Things like how likely my meat and horns are to get on the same flight as me.
    3. Using USPS to ship meat and/or horns home - possible?
    4. I have a transporter who will help but I want to be prepared and have a backup plan(s).

Thanks!

In Bethel and surrounding area, AT&T does not work. GCI works in Bethel, but I would not count on anything working in the field except inReach or satphone.

I always ship my meat home (Anchorage) with Everett's Air Cargo. It goes into their freezer in Bethel and then into their freezer in ANC until you come and get it. I have Indian Valley pick it up for me for processing.

You can also check-out Alaska Air Cargo if you are a Club-49 member. You didn't mention where you live.

I'm hoping you are well prepared for this adventure...it's a bit late in the game for these questions. Be safe and best of luck to you sir.

1. Will my verizon cell work? No. In town GCI unless Verizon has a roaming agreement with GCI.

2. Lets here info about flying out with horns & meat & gear coming home. Things like how likely my meat and horns are to get on the same flight as me. You need to call Alaska Air. Horns need to be covered and free of blood. Meat needs to be packed in boxes or coolers (hint) so it won't leak blood. Alaska Air does have a freezer in Bethel so that helps. Chances are good the meat can be on the same plane but you need to have a back up in case it doesn't.

3. Using USPS to ship meat and/or horns home - possible? Is it possible? yes but very, very expensive. I would consider sending the meat to a processor in Anchorage (I use Alaska Sausage and Seafood) and have them process and ship it to you. Still expensive but you won't be paying for bone or other meat. Generally it has to be frozen to make it all the way home. I have shipped frozen meat and it has been good for 48 hours without defrosting.

4. I have a transporter who will help but I want to be prepared and have a backup plan(s).

was just in bethel, verizon kinda sorta works. i had at&t but a guy i was with had verizon and his worked at least good enough for voice calls