Thread: Repairing Cast Frame of 15hp Evinrude Outboard Throttle Linkage Connection

Default Repairing Cast Frame of 15hp Evinrude Outboard Throttle Linkage Connection

I am looking for ideas of who can help repair my outboard engine. The bolt hole where the throttle arm linkage connects to the cast frame is "augured" out from use, creating a ton of slop in the linkage and making it so the linkage gears slip out of place frequently. I have looked for larger bolts that might help fill the gap, but nothing that would fit the other parameters of the tight space. Another idea I had was to find a sleeve of some kind to put around the bolt to take up the extra space, but no luck on that either yet. My thought right now is to have the hole "welded" shut completely and then re-drilled out to the correct diameter for the existing bolt, but not sure who is capable of welding that kind of cast frame. The outboard is a late 70's vintage Evinrude 15hp.

The arrow in the attached photo is pointing to the location of where the hole mentioned above is located.

Any idea/help would be appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Have u thought about JB Weld or some epoxy mix that will stick to your material? Use your bolt in place with plastic wrap around it when placing your weld material so it doesn’t stick to your bolt (or just use something the equivalent size diameter.) No drilling necessary that way.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!
    WWG1WGA! QANON

Quote Originally Posted by cod View Post
    Have u thought about JB Weld or some epoxy mix that will stick to your material? Use your bolt in place with plastic wrap around it when placing your weld material so it doesn’t stick to your bolt (or just use something the equivalent size diameter.) No drilling necessary that way.
    That could be a possible option. I haven't explored that yet. At first glance, I would have some possible concern just due to it not having a lot of surface area on the cast frame to bond to and to support any loading. This is the bolt that connects the throttle handle to the steering bracket, so it takes a leveraged loading when turning the motor side to side, although that isn't too heavy of a load except in cases where you might catch on something in the movement.

Hard to tell if there’s enough room in the photo u show but in addition to my previous fix u mite see if u can sandwich it with two pieces of metal that u could predrill the proper size bolt holes in, along with filling with the epoxy in and around that area. That would help firm up your concerns of a weakened lever. I use old street signs quite often for that kind of stuff.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!
    WWG1WGA! QANON

Would it be posible to find a bushing and drill out to fit the bushing while still maintaing the proper bolt size.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bend View Post
    Would it be posible to find a bushing and drill out to fit the bushing while still maintaing the proper bolt size.
    So many years have gone bye, and so many things forgotten... Back when outboard jets were coming into fashion on the Big Su and Yentna Rivers there was a kit sold for this type of problem and I think it was called a "Heli coil"... The basic design was to let you bore out bolt holes in Aluminum
    and re-thread them with these Stainless threads... Every auto parts house in Anchorage and the valley sold them.... back then...

Quote Originally Posted by Old John View Post
    So many years have gone bye, and so many things forgotten... Back when outboard jets were coming into fashion on the Big Su and Yentna Rivers there was a kit sold for this type of problem and I think it was called a "Heli coil"... The basic design was to let you bore out bolt holes in Aluminum
    and re-thread them with these Stainless threads... Every auto parts house in Anchorage and the valley sold them.... back then...
    Sold @ Napa & O'Reilly's Auto Parts Stores: https://www.stanleyengineeredfasteni...ndustrial-kits
    2007 24ft NorthRiver OS
    Twin 175 Suzuki's
    "Thunderbird"
    MMSI #338033856

Quote Originally Posted by akdeweyj View Post
    Sold @ Napa & O'Reilly's Auto Parts Stores: https://www.stanleyengineeredfasteni...ndustrial-kits
    Heli coils are used for threaded holes to repair striped threads. I don't think they would be the best application in this type of repair. The spring inserts require the friction of the threads on the bolt to hold them in place. They would likely just vibrate out of position and then make your problem worse.

A decent temp fix would be JB Weld or some other epoxy metal repair kit. But that is a bush fix for a riverside emergency repair. The only real way to "fix" that wollowed out hole would be to replace the part. If you can't find a used parts motor around with the same component and or its too expensive, then you will likely need to plate the inside and drill a new hole.

Basicaly, you would get a small piece of aluminum plate of equal thickness to the original wall on the frame. Drill out the appropriate sized hole and secure it in place over the wallowed hole, rivets would work to secure it. You may need a longer bolt to get good threading on the other side of the backing plate.

Lowes might be your friend. They have many trays that contain bushings and such for many applications. Often here in Valdez we manufacture items because no one here carries the part you need and or you need to buy 2-3 items and screw them together to make a goesinta or a thatwildo.

Hillary moved to NY and I moved out.

Quote Originally Posted by KantishnaCabin View Post
    Heli coils are used for threaded holes to repair striped threads. I don't think they would be the best application in this type of repair. The spring inserts require the friction of the threads on the bolt to hold them in place. They would likely just vibrate out of position and then make your problem worse.

A decent temp fix would be JB Weld or some other epoxy metal repair kit. But that is a bush fix for a riverside emergency repair. The only real way to "fix" that wollowed out hole would be to replace the part. If you can't find a used parts motor around with the same component and or its too expensive, then you will likely need to plate the inside and drill a new hole.

Basicaly, you would get a small piece of aluminum plate of equal thickness to the original wall on the frame. Drill out the appropriate sized hole and secure it in place over the wallowed hole, rivets would work to secure it. You may need a longer bolt to get good threading on the other side of the backing plate.
    You are correct. I am not looking for a threaded hole here, just a clean hole that will keep the bolt from having room to "wiggle" around. Your idea of a plate repair might be good since it would extend the contact area a bit providing some added lateral support for the bolt. I will need to pull it apart again and get a better look. I have been looking for a parts motor to see if I can just find a replacement steering bracket, but no luck yet. I will keep my eyes open though. I have a couple ideas now to work with, so will see what I can put together.

Quote Originally Posted by cod View Post
    Hard to tell if there’s enough room in the photo u show but in addition to my previous fix u mite see if u can sandwich it with two pieces of metal that u could predrill the proper size bolt holes in, along with filling with the epoxy in and around that area. That would help firm up your concerns of a weakened lever. I use old street signs quite often for that kind of stuff.
    Not really any room to add anything on the steering arm side of things since it has very little space between the hole and the throttle linkage gears. It already requires a special, very flat nut to fit in the space. There is lots of room on the bolt head side though, so I might be able to add something there if I had a long enough bolt to handle it. I will play with some ideas in the next week or two and see where I get with it.

I'll look to see what I did on mine, since I had the same problem, and repaired it somehow. These old 9.9/15 hps are problematic in that way, which is why I'm always buying them up on CL or FB, and why OMC changed to a throttle cable in later models.

Any good TIG welder could clean it out, build it back up and get it re-machined.
    Cast Al is dirty, but can be welded cleanly.
    Fighting gravity is never cheap.

Hi Anchskier, I can fix that up for you if you are interested. I can oversize the hole and machine a bushing out of aluminum for you in my home shop. I'm located in Wasilla.

PM me if interested.

Tony