Thread: distance cannon ball to lure?

Default distance cannon ball to lure?

how far is "typical" for the distance from your downrigger ball to your lure? i generally run 20-30' back when trolling 30-50' deep. may shorten that if much deeper trolling. just wondering.... thanks. j

Quote Originally Posted by jklingel View Post
    how far is "typical" for the distance from your downrigger ball to your lure? i generally run 20-30' back when trolling 30-50' deep. may shorten that if much deeper trolling. just wondering.... thanks. j

That's close to what we run, normally. This year for silvers we ran alot deeper, 80' - 100'. 15ft back from ball and did well with kings and silvers. Even picked up a 90# butt trolling for silvers.

I don’t go longer than 12-15ft. I think the longer the distance the bigger the swing of your flasher. I feel that the bigger swing the more drag/blowback you have on your cannonball. My 5¢

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by bkbaker View Post
    I don’t go longer than 12-15ft. I think the longer the distance the bigger the swing of your flasher. I feel that the bigger swing the more drag/blowback you have on your cannonball. My 5¢

I put my flasher on a 3 ft dropper connected directly to my cannonball with a longline clip. With my release about 3 feet above the canonball, I set my herring or lure about 10 feet back. When I hook up, I dont have to fight a flasher, just the fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    I put my flasher on a 3 ft dropper connected directly to my cannonball with a longline clip. With my release about 3 feet above the canonball, I set my herring or lure about 10 feet back. When I hook up, I dont have to fight a flasher, just the fish.
    I keep wanting to try this for the same reason. That flasher sure causes a lot of drag in the water when fighting a fish.

I havent gotten to many kings trolling but the silvers dont seem to care with the flasher attached to the cannon ball. I attache the flasher to the tail of the down rigger ball and let it back 4 feet or so then put my line clip 6' above the ball so the flasher cant wrap up with my line/lure. the only down fall is if we get a fish on and take it out of gear you pretty much have to reel everything up because when you put the boat back in gear the flasher will become elevated much faster then your lure and it will create a mess. Atleast that has been our experience.
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Anything between 10 and 20’ works for me. I run a wiggle swarm off the ball and a Pro Release 3’ off of that for my bottom rod line. If I am trolling flies I use an inline flasher amd move back to 20’ off the release. If I am trolling a Brads or King Kandy or spoon or any hardware that has it’s own action I shorten the length and pull it in near the wiggle swarm. Beavis flies and a flasher for silvers and kings have been more productive for me than anything else this year....but then again, after hooking a couple fish on a fly I usually switch up to all flies so hard to compare.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by kwackkillncrew View Post
    I havent gotten to many kings trolling but the silvers dont seem to care with the flasher attached to the cannon ball. I attache the flasher to the tail of the down rigger ball and let it back 4 feet or so then put my line clip 6' above the ball so the flasher cant wrap up with my line/lure. the only down fall is if we get a fish on and take it out of gear you pretty much have to reel everything up because when you put the boat back in gear the flasher will become elevated much faster then your lure and it will create a mess. Atleast that has been our experience.
    I’ve been rigging this way for years, cant ever remember having a problem with gear tangled in the flasher...just lucky up till now?

Dont put the boat in neutral when you get a fish on. Maybe slow down to idle but keep it in gear. I just bring the weight to the surface but still in the water. If you have a swivel mount swing the arm out of the way if you need to.

8-12' for starters and play from there. If ya run more than 2 riggers you need to get the just far enough back that the lures clear the rigger cables and not tangle. Leave the boat in gear when hooked up, those other fish with him are hungry as well. If trolling shallow, say 3-10' deep then run the outside riggers farther back, say 20'. it's awesome watching a kings come in 15' behind the boat, track and slam a bait.
    Life's too short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

thanks for the replies. it's good to know i am in good company. i also run a flasher off the cannon ball, plus a small dodger 3' ahead of the lure/herring. maybe i have those names reversed, but you get the dance. cheers. j

I am for 15-20' also. I think that any more, if making a turn and if the rigs are not exactly the same, you minimize the possibility of a tangle.

Hillary moved to NY and I moved out.

I had a king take slam my rig at 10ft out this weekend in whittier so the shorter you can get away with, the better.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

9-10ft back working well in PWS