Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: One of ya all just cost me close to a grand!

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    And yet I've had women shoot mine and come back asking to do it again. Some guys even though they are large, ain't really all that manly.
    It's really kind of a hoot. Nothing about shooting this Toklat hurts. It's just that I am naturally trying to counter that jumping up in the air when really I just need to let it jump. Heck it always comes back down with narry a thing to worry about.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    And yet I've had women shoot mine and come back asking to do it again. Some guys even though they are large, ain't really all that manly.
    As I feared, my Manliness is equated with my unwillingness to deal with Heavy Recoil.

I'm with 4merguide. I knows my limitations. It is 357 and 44 mag with caveats.

There is a mindset that suggests going out an purchasing the most powerful cartridge handgun with the shortest barrel, because you MIGHT need to outdraw a huge Brown Bear, (But, you'd settle for a Blackie) for your trip to Alaska, or your next fishing trip to the Russian River.

The choice is yours, but I think, one should consider how quickly he can RECOVER from recoil and fire the next shot. For me, it's not just RAW POWER, but how well you can shoot, your choice.

Our late BB suggested that one is better off choosing what he shoots well, even if it's not the Most powerful out there. That makes much sense to me.

EKC shoots 100 FLs with Toklat 454, Without Pain is a good report. It may be less of a challenge to him than I thought it might be.

This Toklat appears to be a well designed revolver. I would not apply that to a snub-nose version, though.
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I agree Smitty, the Toklat doesn’t have the felt recoil that I expected it to have. Most of that recoil is absorbed by the cushioned grip that comes with the gun.

Recoil is recoil! Every cartridge of equal loading is going to exhibit the same amount of ftlbs of recoil. However the felt recoil depends on factors such as weight of the gun and distribution of that recoil. In the case of the Toklat, Ruger has done a fine job. I would by far rather shoot this Toklat with full house loads than a full house 44 mag load in a short Blackhawk with the factor grip.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12