Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Thread: One of ya all just cost me close to a grand!

  1. #1

    Default One of ya all just cost me close to a grand!

    I gotta put the blame somewhere!

    I have been intrigued with the Ruger Toklat for a good while now. I look at them on gunbroker and read reviews when bored. Today I stumbled onto a video of Hickock45 shooting a borrowed Toklat. It was loaned to him by some Alaskan feller who is putting in his time at Ft. Campbell.

    Well it was enough to put me over the edge. I called my dealer at the local gun shop and he said for around $900 he could fetch me one. With the governors portion and shipping it was $995.00. I so hate the governors portion and the fetching it here charges. It makes me feel like those pecker heads own part interest in my gun.

    So if it was one you guys that loaned that Toklat to Hickock45 then I both blames ya and thanks ya!!

  2. #2
    Supporting Member iofthetaiga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Tanana Valley AK
    Posts
    8,025

    Default

    Whew! I was worried for a moment. Wasn't me. I can't get past the UGLY with the Toklat.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

  3. #3
    Member 4merguide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
    Posts
    11,410

    Default

    Ya, twasn't meneither.....as I don't care for the looks at all. I'll take my 4" redhawk 45colt any day of the week though.....lol. Besides, with the buf bore loads in it, it's like a light 454 anyways....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Eureka MT
    Posts
    3,167

    Default

    Be sure to wear ear plugs AND earmuffs when you torch off that eargesplittenloudenboomer if you ever want to hear again without ringing in the ears. And you might want a rubber pad on your forehead to keep the front sight from digging in too deep.

  5. #5
    Member gunbugs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    1,512

    Default

    Couldn't have been me. The only Ruger I own is a front stuffer Old Army. Arguably the best Black Powder revolver ever made. All my other revolvers are S&W.....
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    Couldn't have been me. The only Ruger I own is a front stuffer Old Army. Arguably the best Black Powder revolver ever made. All my other revolvers are S&W.....
    I turned down one of those Old Army bp guns about 10 years ago. Asking price was only $350. If I could get my foot high enough Iíd kick myself in the @$$.
    The best shooting revolver that I own is my 4Ē 686! I hope the Toklat doesnít beat the pi$$ out of it when they have to share the same drawer😉!

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Whew! I was worried for a moment. Wasn't me. I can't get past the UGLY with the Toklat.
    I used to think that too.... but after I saw one at a gun show laying next to one of those upside down Chiappa Rhinos😖 I thought the Toklat was actually kinda pretty!😉

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Ya, twasn't meneither.....as I don't care for the looks at all. I'll take my 4" redhawk 45colt any day of the week though.....lol. Besides, with the buf bore loads in it, it's like a light 454 anyways....
    Yeah, well my barrel is an inch longer and that oughta make it shoot a yard farther! Besides my brother got crippled up a few years back and thus gave me 4 sacks of 100 each 454 brass. I doubt that I load em any hotter than your Buffler Bore bullets anyway.

    I have 2 five gallon buckets full of pure lead ingots and another 3/4 full of Linotype. I have 4 lbs of LilíGun, 4 lbs of Unique, a couple pounds of Red Dot and just bought a couple pounds of that V110 stuff that Iofthetaiga likes so well. Iíve got molds for 255 and 325 bullets. Iím most likely set for life....which doesnít mean as much as it used to mean.

    Still got my Bisley 45 too!

    Ever try to move a 5 gallon bucket full of lead? You can forget using the handle👍

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    9,135

    Default

    Big WOW!

    Those beeg bore hand cannons are Marvels, not only in the way they are built, but also in what can be accomplished with them. I don't think the Toklats are Ugly, but they do look strong. Like something you'd expect a Flying Saucer Pilot would be packin. From the pictures I've seen, the grips are perfect.

    You are prepared to handload, so expense is not a huge issue. 454 is known for Nasty Recoil. The gun is one thing, and the cartridge is another. You can load to a power level that suits you. I understand that "crimp" is critical on powerful loads, but you probably know that, already.

    I suspect, you will have some fun, and some pain, trying different things. You'll have a BLAST, I'm sure. Prepare to answer many questions.

    Bully, Bully.

    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

  10. #10

    Default

    Love my Toklat...congrats on the purchase! The beauty of the Toklat is that it shoots pain-free. The SRH frame handles recoil like a champ while being very ergonomic at the same time. 6 rounds in a much smaller and lighter package than an X Frame is a big bonus.


    Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff


  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Arizona Baby!
    Posts
    519

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AK2AZ View Post
    Love my Toklat...congrats on the purchase! The beauty of the Toklat is that it shoots pain-free. The SRH frame handles recoil like a champ while being very ergonomic at the same time. 6 rounds in a much smaller and lighter package than an X Frame is a big bonus.
    Love the big bores. About 6 months ago I picked up a used SRH in 454 and find it a bit more manageable than the PD329 but both put a smile on my face. The guy I got it from bought it from a friend who was a LE in AK so it came with dies and some loaded 45's with 300grs' Very comfortable to shoot. I went out and bought some 454 factory loads and they are a little hotter than the 45 reloads they do stick and are a chore to get out.
    I imagine the cylinder may have some build up so a good cleaning is in order when I get time.

  12. #12
    New member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,493

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PRDATR View Post
    Love the big bores. About 6 months ago I picked up a used SRH in 454 and find it a bit more manageable than the PD329 but both put a smile on my face. The guy I got it from bought it from a friend who was a LE in AK so it came with dies and some loaded 45's with 300grs' Very comfortable to shoot. I went out and bought some 454 factory loads and they are a little hotter than the 45 reloads they do stick and are a chore to get out.
    I imagine the cylinder may have some build up so a good cleaning is in order when I get time.
    The Ruger 6 shot 454 cylinders are known to be a little "stretchy" with full-house, 60,000 psi 454 loads that Mr. Casull worked up. I have one of the cylinders in my 45 Redhawk. My 350gr loads for that gun are closer to the 5 Shot 45 Colt loads, 50,000 psi. Now, my 454 Freedom arms is different animal all together!

    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

  13. #13

    Default

    I shot up 100 rounds of Hornady factory 300 XTPs yesterday afternoon. It was a hoot. The Toklat with that ammo doesn't hurt my hand but it does jump some.

    At the end of the shooting session I lined up 10 milk jugs full of water at the 100 yard mark. I went 6 for 6 with my 686 357 with Hornady 140 grain FTX. So I shot the last 6 of the remaining 454/300s at the 4 remaining jugs. It took 6 rounds to kill just two jugs. I finished the other two off with two more consecutive shots from the 686. What this means is that EKC has a ways to go before turning the Casull loose on critters. I have probably shot 100K rounds through 686es over the last 45 years and exactly 100 rounds through the Casull. Last night I sized, primed and belled 400 454 cases and tonight will finish loading them with 10 grains of Unique and a 250 grains SNS flatpoint. Handgun deer killing season is 3 months away and I have to be a whole lot more accomplished with this Toklat than I am or it won't get a turn until next year after more bullets go downrange. If I get this 10 grains of Unique/ 250 grain cast to shoot where I am looking all of the time then I will use it on deer. They don't really need a full house 454 load anyway! Just gotta put em where they need to go!

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    2,457

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Whew! I was worried for a moment. Wasn't me. I can't get past the UGLY with the Toklat.
    It isn't handsome, but it's a beautiful Beast.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Arizona Baby!
    Posts
    519

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    The Ruger 6 shot 454 cylinders are known to be a little "stretchy" with full-house, 60,000 psi 454 loads that Mr. Casull worked up. I have one of the cylinders in my 45 Redhawk. My 350gr loads for that gun are closer to the 5 Shot 45 Colt loads, 50,000 psi. Now, my 454 Freedom arms is different animal all together!

    I first shot a Freedom Arms 454 in the mid 80's at a gun fair in Phoenix. I came away with two things from that. One was that they would have to tighten up the frame screws every so ofter. The other was that the way it fit my hand it wanted to rotate out of the grip I had on it I like the caliber but not the frame design. For me the grip transfers too much recoil compared to the grip design on the SRH or the S&W Frame. But that's just me.

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    9,135

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PRDATR View Post
    I first shot a Freedom Arms 454 in the mid 80's at a gun fair in Phoenix. I came away with two things from that. One was that they would have to tighten up the frame screws every so ofter. The other was that the way it fit my hand it wanted to rotate out of the grip I had on it I like the caliber but not the frame design. For me the grip transfers too much recoil compared to the grip design on the SRH or the S&W Frame. But that's just me.
    I was allowed 2 shots from a FA 454 many years ago during a Demo at Birchwood. I couldn't keep the grip from slipping in my hand.

    I had the same problem, shooting Ruger Super BHs in 44 mag. Some say you spose to let slip, a lil bit. I dunno.

    I love the cowboy gun grips, because they can fit most everyone, and they look kool, but NOT for heavy recoil, if it's me, shooting. I put Hogue grips on my BH 357, and it makes everything OK.

    I think the grips on the Toklat are probably very good for heavy recoil. IME, howbeit, limited, Recoil is the name of the game, here. Those into beeg bore handguns in a big way, must have found a way to deal with it.

    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

  17. #17
    Member 4merguide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
    Posts
    11,410

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Those into beeg bore handguns in a big way, must have found a way to deal with it.
    Smitty of the North
    Put it this way....I was seriously considering the 454 UNTIL I watched too many videos of guys shooting it. Most those guys were bigger than me and a couple with guns for arms A LOT bigger than me, and they had that steel jumping every which ways! I decided no thanks, and went with the redhawk in 45 colt. With those b-bore loads in it, even with the Hogue grips, it's really about as much as I wanna handle...
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

  18. #18
    New member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,493

    Default

    I don't know what all the fuss is about. I love my 454's. They haven't scared me yet. I must say though, the 454 Puma lever gun with full house loads is a shoulder banger.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

  19. #19

    Default

    I have a Rossi 92 in 45 Colt that I inherited when Butch departed. It doesn't have anything but the steel butt plate and the +P loads in it are enough for me. My Bisley 45 Colt has a good amount of barrel flip with heavy +P loads but it doesn't hurt.

    There was time 'bout 10 years ago when I had a messed up hand. Professor Murphy visited this forum quite often then and he advised me to take up the 41 Mag. I had good success with the 41 mag but eventually my hand got better so I graduated back to the 44 mag and now to this "Beautiful Beast" as SmokeRoss called it.

    In all reality I could do all of my hunting in Iowa with a 357 and kill just as many deer. I will only take broadside shots at a distance where I know I can make a clean kill. I have had people scoff at me but a 357 125 grain Hollow Point will blow a dandy hole through the lower half of any deers chest cavity and lead to a very short, wide blood trail. However using the same handgun over and over is like an artist painting the same picture over and over. Besides I shoot 500 rounds into the dirt bank for everyone that I shoot at a critter....if not more.

    There is just something about mastering a new handgun that intrigues me. Had I been able to shoot this Toklat like I can a 686 from the get go then I would have been disappointed. There would have been nothing to accomplish. The very last time the Toklat hammer fell when shooting at the milk jugs it fell on cylinder with an already been fired round. Sometimes I don't pay attention and think I have one left when I don't. After that dry fire on what I thought was a live round I had to chuckle a bit and said out loud......"You flinched like a girl." And I did! More work to do!

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    2,457

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Put it this way....I was seriously considering the 454 UNTIL I watched too many videos of guys shooting it. Most those guys were bigger than me and a couple with guns for arms A LOT bigger than me, and they had that steel jumping every which ways! I decided no thanks, and went with the redhawk in 45 colt. With those b-bore loads in it, even with the Hogue grips, it's really about as much as I wanna handle...
    And yet I've had women shoot mine and come back asking to do it again. Some guys even though they are large, ain't really all that manly.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •