Thread: What we found a couple weekends ago...

Default What we found a couple weekends ago...

Took the 'new to us' camp trailer on a bit of an outing a couple weekends ago, just north of a little old mining town in Idaho called Mackay (Mack-e)
    anyhow, there's an old road goes up over the top of the mountain range to the west and drops into Copper Basin on the other side, a valley where I've taken a few VERY nice (for Idaho) antelope. The road is called the Burma Road, not sure why, but I suspect that the cat driver that cut it was probably part of Vinegar Joe Stillwell's bunch...
    At 8200 feet (ain't GPS' grand?), just before reaching the crest, we spotted four antelope, catching some rays. We took film photos of them for oh, maybe fifteen minutes before I slammed the door and spooked 'em. Figure the buck who's rump is in the photo, went about 14 1/2", nice big bodied animal for the ones encountered here. Thought you might enjoy!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Speedgoats! I haven't seen on of those in years. Not since I moved to Alaska from Montana. Thanks for the pic.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Smile

I just had to take a virtual tour of your outing on Google Earth. What a great drive and beautiful views. I don't know why Rt. 93 and the side roads aren't don't get more publicity as one of the most scenic drives in the lower 48. I've been on the section north of I 90 up through the Canadian border and have wanted to go south through ID for the last couple of years. Price of gas got me this summer. I certainly enjoyed the picture. It reminds me of several I took at the National Buffalo Range a few miles up the road. I'll keep the Burma Rd in mind when I finally get through that area.

Question what's up with this?

Quote Originally Posted by Darreld Walton View Post
    Took the 'new to us' camp trailer on a bit of an outing a couple weekends ago, just north of a little old mining town in Idaho called Mackay (Mack-e)
    anyhow, there's an old road goes up over the top of the mountain range to the west and drops into Copper Basin on the other side, a valley where I've taken a few VERY nice (for Idaho) antelope. The road is called the Burma Road, not sure why, but I suspect that the cat driver that cut it was probably part of Vinegar Joe Stillwell's bunch...
    At 8200 feet (ain't GPS' grand?), just before reaching the crest, we spotted four antelope, catching some rays. We took film photos of them for oh, maybe fifteen minutes before I slammed the door and spooked 'em. Figure the buck who's rump is in the photo, went about 14 1/2", nice big bodied animal for the ones encountered here. Thought you might enjoy!
    What are you doing in my old stomping grounds, harrassing those weed eaters? No wonder, when we go to get one, they've been harried into the mountains and we have to hunt them like mountain goats. Darreld, glad you could get away for a few enjoyable days...where's home base? Close, I imagine. Have you been able to take advantage of any of the monster mulies that lurk around that region?
    If you like getting kicked by a mule...then you'll "love" shooting my .458.

Default Sssshhhhh! Keep Idaho Under Yer Hat!

I love that chunk of road! We like to climb in the car or truck without a clue where we're headed. Try to keep the camper or the camp trailer loaded, so all we have to do is pick up perishables and load fresh water. Usually pick a spot to head to as we're pulling out of the gas station on the edge of town.
    If you've got the time sometime, another great road is to take 93 from Blackfoot to the Howe Junction, on the other side of the INEL site, and head up the Little Lost drainage. If you stay on it, it drops you in on the headwaters of the Pahsimeroi, Elmer's old speed goat stomping grounds. Sure is purty. You can follow that clear out to where it dumps into the Salmon River, and then go left (west) to Challis, or right and east to Salmon, from there on up into some REALLY neat country. The run up through the Lemhi Valley is a good one, too. Head up I-15, go on through Mud Lake, and head up towards Salmon, up through Leadore, lots of cool places to pull out for lunch, not a lot of traffic, even when it's 'heavy', little streams where an ice fishing rod is too long to catch brookies with.
    Speaking of which, just below the Mackay Dam, I got into a mess of Kokanee. Just pan sized, but man o man, are they tasty! We usually get 'em through the ice in the winter on mealworms. This time, gave 'em just a bit of flash with a Colorado rig, and a chunk of night crawler, and let it drift in the slackwater pool below the outlet of the dam.
    Geeze, I just flashed on a trip in there when I was a kid! We were headed down a good gravel road following the river down toward the reservoir, and the antelope would run along side t he car, just pacing us. Dad kicked it up around 40 mile an hour or so, and them darned goats knew that we couldn't go much faster, they finally got annoyed with us, kicked it into high gear and cut across the road in front of us. Did that two or three times in the space of a couple miles. Was having a heckuva time watching the show, heck, even the fawns were keeping up! Anyhow, I had my arm out the window, a short sleeved cotton shirt, and ****ed if a big bumble bee didn't fly in that flapping sleeve, got irritated and stung me in the armpit! Wasn't as bad as them stinking horse flies, though, they just keep eating!
    Lived in Montana for six years when I was stationed at Malmstrom. Loved it, would've stayed if not for the property taxes, and, well, by 1979, the 'monied' folk from Texas and California started moving in, and property prices on the desirable pieces started to spiral up.
    Spent another 11 years in Wyoming, at FE Warren, and got into some REALLY nice animals over there. More antelope than humans, and that's a really good thing. I think that mule deer and whitetails are fixing to outnumber people, too, especially whitetails.
    Our home is about three blocks from the house where I was born, and lived in till I was twelve, then the folks moved out on the edge of town where I lived till I went in the AF. All our folks are still alive and doing well, all but two of our ten kids live locally, so it's tough to even consider being anywhere else, except for short stints. I AM going to treat myself to an extended fishing trip up your way in a couple years, right after I retire. Might have to see if I can't wrangle it into lasting long enough for a Bullwinkle....
    Take 'er easy, guys!