Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Moose hunter mauled by bear by Gunsight

Default Moose hunter mauled by bear by Gunsight

Anybody know any details? Sounds like a couple young guys. I hope I don't know them. And I pray he recovers fully.

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/2019...ight-mountain/

Has anybody heard how the guy's doing?
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I clicked on the FB link in the article and it gave some info on that link. 2 fellas between ages 25-28 surprised a sow w two grown cubs. Sow attacked one hunter and his hunting partner maintained a cool head and managed to shoot the bear during (?) the attack killing the bear. Partner helped load up his buddies atv some distance away and they made their way to a nearby cabin and received help. Several pics of the bear and scene w the bear receiving a well placed shot to the skull.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!
    WWG1WGA! QANON

The shot to the skull wasn't lethal and was from the 30-06. The guy who recovered the bear said it appeared it was too high and just went through the skin. The killing shot was to the chest with the 300 wby.

Neither guy had a pistol or were prepared for a bear, he got really lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_cowboy View Post
    The shot to the skull wasn't lethal and was from the 30-06. The guy who recovered the bear said it appeared it was too high and just went through the skin. The killing shot was to the chest with the 300 wby.

Neither guy had a pistol or were prepared for a bear, he got really lucky.

What, in your opinion, makes someone prepared for a bear?

The few that I have talked to that survived a bear charge, myself included, let alone an attack, all felt they got "lucky". I pray they both heal up and recover quickly and get "back in the saddle".

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    The few that I have talked to that survived a bear charge, myself included, let alone an attack, all felt they got "lucky". I pray they both heal up and recover quickly and get "back in the saddle".
    My neighbors run a very successful bear guiding operation. She’s been guiding and a part of the business her entire life, she was homeschooled on the boat. Pretty solid credentials. If there was ever a tight spot I’d want her on my side for sure. She got charged last year for real tracking a hard hit boar. she said that her Jack Russell is the only reason why part of her didn’t get left in the woods.

Best wishes to those fellas.

I kinda know the guys and they are very experienced hunters, Story on facebook mostly matches what I was told by friends. They were stalking a moose when the vegetation was getting taller, when they heard a "wholfing" sound, the victim got one shot off which bounced off her head. The buddy was able to get a good body shot after timing the bear bouncing off him. He was close enough to where the bear was blown backwards. They had to walk quite a ways back to the wheelers and called for help, a couple people in the area assisted and went back the next day to retrieve the his gun and looks for the bear which they were unsure if it was dead or alive. I know he's home and doing well.

Quote Originally Posted by DucksAndDogs View Post
    I'd like to hear this as well. Seems to me they were very well prepared as there is a dead bear. Are you implying that bear encounters are 100% avoidable is someone is "prepared", whatever the heck that means.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Quote Originally Posted by DucksAndDogs View Post
    Bear Spray in one hand, pistol in the other both off safety ready to rumble, rifle on the pack loaded off safety also ready to rumble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    I'd like to hear this as well. Seems to me they were very well prepared as there is a dead bear. Are you implying that bear encounters are 100% avoidable is someone is "prepared", whatever the heck that means.

This......

The rivers here in the interior are extremely low, lower than some old timers have ever seen. The salmon didn't come up the tributaries in abundance.

Also, it was hot and dry for so long, that there are no berries. I walked 8 miles in search of berries, no dice. This was my usual locations where cranberries and blue berries were as thick as iv'e ever found.

There are some hungry bears out there, make no mistake about it. Bring ah dog.

Quote Originally Posted by coop22250 View Post
    Bear Spray in one hand, pistol in the other both off safety ready to rumble, rifle on the pack loaded off safety also ready to rumble.

In my opinion this sounds like a terrible idea! Shooting a pistol one handed while using bear spray with the other? And what is the point of a rifle on your pack with he safety off? Sounds pretty dangerous to me.

Default Moose hunter mauled by bear by Gunsight

Hahaha I was being a smart*****.

Just having a little fun thinking about being “ready” for a bear attack/charge. Getting one shot off point blank with a rifle was pretty impressive, too bad it was off a bit and didn’t do the job, it pretty impressive none the less. Being young guys, I’d say pretty solid performance by them both. Sounds like he was hurt pretty good but sounds like he will make it with some tough recovery.

You jest! Is this the way you walk around moose hunting? There is nothing, I repeat NOTHING you can do to "prepare" for a bear encounter. Unless of course you know there is a bear right there in front of you. And even then, there's no predicting what the bear is going to do. Sure there are some signs to watch for from the bear. But nothing is a given when it comes to a bear. Best thing you can do is hope to God that you have your wits about you if, and when, the time comes.

Hahaha I was being a smart*****.

Just having a little fun thinking about being “ready” for a bear attack/charge. Getting one shot off point blank with a rifle was pretty impressive, too bad it was off a bit and didn’t do the job, it pretty impressive none the less. Being young guys, I’d say pretty solid performance by them both. Sounds like he was hurt pretty good but sounds like he will make it with some tough recovery.

Ha! I was wondering if you were just being sarcastic and I guess we were typing at the same time.....lol.

But I would still like to know how Mr. ak cowboy "prepares" for a bear?

Stalking a moose you know they were paying attention and the fact that he got a round off and hit a charging bear in the head speaks volumes of them being "prepared". Fact is, when we are in bear country (which as Mainer states has changed some with the weather)- all we can do is use our best training and sense and hope that things go well. I don't care how many bears you have seen in the wild- I am always amazed how fast they seem to appear out of nowhere at times. I am very impressed with the hunter getting a round off on target and his partner staying calm enough to put the attacking and moving sow down. They will have a bond that will last a lifetime. Great that they could contact neighbors and things worked out.

Supporting Member

The area around Caribou Creek, Alfred Creek, Eureka and Gunsight appears to have experienced a significant spike in Brown bear numbers over the last 6 years. ADFG has an active predator program for wolves in 13A but have overlooked bear numbers. I recently checked game camera and viewed 6 different bears traveling the same trail over 2 months. Found 3 bonepiles from moose calves within a 2 mile radius without looking off the trail. Not many people hunt brown bears anymore in this area that I know of. 30 years ago there were 4 or 5 guides around but most of the old timers are gone and people mostly want Caribou and Moose. The ADFG regs are pretty open here, no tag needed, one bear per person every year, no closed season...just have to take hide and skull in for seal after getting one. Somebody really needs to address these bear numbers, somebody needs to hunt or guide the area before more moose and caribou calves and hikers/hunters/riders are chewed on. Not discriminating on bears but nobody wants them in the backyard.

Give me a longitude and latitude and me and a grandson will be happy to thin the herd by a couple. Every time I look for an interior griz I get a glimpse of their back side going away quickly or so far up a hill my old butt can't get to them before freeze up!

Quote Originally Posted by jordan may View Post
    The area around Caribou Creek, Alfred Creek, Eureka and Gunsight appears to have experienced a significant spike in Brown bear numbers over the last 6 years. ADFG has an active predator program for wolves in 13A but have overlooked bear numbers. I recently checked game camera and viewed 6 different bears traveling the same trail over 2 months. Found 3 bonepiles from moose calves within a 2 mile radius without looking off the trail. Not many people hunt brown bears anymore in this area that I know of. 30 years ago there were 4 or 5 guides around but most of the old timers are gone and people mostly want Caribou and Moose. The ADFG regs are pretty open here, no tag needed, one bear per person every year, no closed season...just have to take hide and skull in for seal after getting one. Somebody really needs to address these bear numbers, somebody needs to hunt or guide the area before more moose and caribou calves and hikers/hunters/riders are chewed on. Not discriminating on bears but nobody wants them in the backyard.
    You bring up a valid point. I've thought the same thing. The problem I have with it, is that I don't want to put that much time, money and effort into an animal that I can't eat. And I don't need any more bear hides hanging on my wall. Unless of course someday I find that elusive 9-11 foot bear that is not rubbed. I really wish fish and game would let us sell the hides. I know that brown bear hides sold in Canada last year for around $1000 in the fur harvester's auction. Why is it against the law in Alaska? I agree that the herd needs to be thinned out. But there is little incentive for the average Joe to get out there and put much time and effort in. What's the solution???

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast