Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Moose hunter mauled by bear by Gunsight

Quote Originally Posted by sisusuomi View Post
    You must have never hunted upland birds. As long as I know my hunting partners, which I do, I trust them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I do a fair bit of upland hunting and know many many people who spend way more time in the field with their dogs than I. Most, if not all of us, do not walk around with shells chambered until after the dogs are on point. Safety is a big deal to us.

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    The few that I have talked to that survived a bear charge, myself included, let alone an attack, all felt they got "lucky". I pray they both heal up and recover quickly and get "back in the saddle".
    I have survived 3 charges. 2 while I was unarmed out logging. Yeah, got lucky on those. One while I was hunting. I was prepared. Tracking a wounded boar. I had my Blackhawk in my hand when he came out from under a log 10' behind me. He had doubled back. I was still on the blood trail. If I had not had the .44 in my hand he would have been on me. Shot him in the head. It was like super slow motion.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Quote Originally Posted by coop22250 View Post
    Bear Spray in one hand, pistol in the other both off safety ready to rumble, rifle on the pack loaded off safety also ready to rumble.

I won't be hunting with you. Ever.

Quote Originally Posted by iyouktug View Post
    Nice of that bear to be so gentle, must of been a good time.
    The bear said, "You ain't really here for the hunting, are you?"

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    It was like super slow motion.

Crazy how that happens.

The matrix is real!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

I have survived 3 charges. 2 while I was unarmed out logging. Yeah, got lucky on those. One while I was hunting. I was prepared. Tracking a wounded boar. I had my Blackhawk in my hand when he came out from under a log 10' behind me. He had doubled back. I was still on the blood trail. If I had not had the .44 in my hand he would have been on me. Shot him in the head. It was like super slow motion.
    Buddy had that happen on Denali Highway. Took a video of himself saying he wounded a bear, and it wasn't the smartest thing being alone, but he was going after it. Next video was his hyperventilating and looking at himself all over with the camcorder screen to make sure he was't bleeding. Bear doubled back, came at him from the side and he didnt get to even raise his rifle, just turn and fire. Bear died on top of him and he had to crawl out.

Hahaha, nor I with you. Sense of humor is num 1 requirement

Hey Ross, as posted above, I found out he was being facetious. Again, we need a good sarcastic emoticon on this forum!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Well I didn’t know what else to do when someone says these guys could be more prepared, the only thing I could think of was a smartazz remark.
    I was thinking you could set up a “bear charge training facility”

Have a target at about 20mph speeding from 50 yards, not straight mind you but bobbing up and down about 16”. At the same time a truck load of softballs pours out behind you while 6-10 guys are breaking branches. At the same time the Tyrannosaurus rex roar from Jurassic Park screams from loud speakers. If you can hit 10 rings, or even the target i would consider you prepared. Otherwise, the above gentlemen did pretty **** good.

One guy gets a shot off point blank, scope is useless at that distance, one guy shoots the bear off his buddy without killing his buddy.

I’d say they combined to exceed about 99% of most people’s performance in that circumstance.

Quote Originally Posted by coop22250 View Post
    I’d say they combined to exceed about 99% of most people’s performance in that circumstance.
    Indeed! I remember reading somewhere here on the forum something along the lines of being "prepared" for a bear, and somebody saying about the only people that could possibly be prepared would be those that have had extensive training and spent any length of time in combat. Some police officers as well. I pray to God that I don't ever have to find out how prepared I am. I've been around a few bears but so far so good.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I bet this charge started at very close range

Quote Originally Posted by iyouktug View Post
    I bet this charge started at very close range
    As do most of them. And it's usually a huge surprise. When I'm walking in the woods with my dog I often imagine she is a bear and notice how quickly she can show up out of the brush and tall grass. I'm sometimes surprised that even knowing she is out there sniffing around that she can show up where I wouldn't expect. Bears can easily disappear in the undergrowth. Especially if they lay low.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123