Thread: Barking dogs in hunting areas

Default Barking dogs in hunting areas

Been seeing this too much lately. Today I was putting a stalk on a couple bulls and this doof rides down the trail in his side by side. Both he and his dog were barking. I think he wanted to intentionaly scare off the moose. A few days ago another side by side had 2 dogs in the back happily yapping away as they cruised the back trail. Last week a guy in a pickup drove by with a barking dog.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Did they know you were there and that you could e been hunting moose? Did any of them see the said bulls and you w weapon? Do they know this area is hunted? Sure sounds like intentional interference but w out more info I wouldn’t say turn them into troopers yet.

If it happens again I would. Having them talked to by area trooper might wake them up. I’ve done it before, but didn’t proceed w pressing charges given the info from the trooper I received. They had lawyered up, and trooper said in court it could go either in my situation. The fact they lawyered up proved to me they knew they were guilty n left it at that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by akrstabout View Post
    Did they know you were there and that you could e been hunting moose? Did any of them see the said bulls and you w weapon? Do they know this area is hunted? Sure sounds like intentional interference but w out more info I wouldn’t say turn them into troopers yet.

If it happens again I would. Having them talked to by area trooper might wake them up. I’ve done it before, but didn’t proceed w pressing charges given the info from the trooper I received. They had lawyered up, and trooper said in court it could go either in my situation. The fact they lawyered up proved to me they knew they were guilty n left it at that.
    Not even close to intentional interference.

We were out with our rifles. He saw that. Started barking like a dog and his dog joined in. The other ones with the 2 dogs in the side by side were also hunting and had rifles with them.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Two comments...….first pretty sure it's illegal to hunt big game, like moose, with dogs. Second, I was out glassing a valley and heard some .22 rifle shots behind me and couldn't believe somebody was back there because I never heard a wheeler and it's a real long walk. Turned out the dude had a dog team pulling his 4 wheeler. I was actually impressed because the dogs where quite the entire time and he had achieved stealth with that motor not running. In this area if a moose hears your machine, it doesn't wait to take off. They run scared.

Quote Originally Posted by Mammoth Hunter View Post
    Two comments...….first pretty sure it's illegal to hunt big game, like moose, with dogs. Second, I was out glassing a valley and heard some .22 rifle shots behind me and couldn't believe somebody was back there because I never heard a wheeler and it's a real long walk. Turned out the dude had a dog team pulling his 4 wheeler. I was actually impressed because the dogs where quite the entire time and he had achieved stealth with that motor not running. In this area if a moose hears your machine, it doesn't wait to take off. They run scared.
    There is nothing wrong with having dogs when out hunting. It is only illegal to USE the dogs FOR hunting (except in a few cases such as bear in some units).

Quote Originally Posted by Rock knocker View Post
    Not even close to intentional interference.
    Yes it was, for sure the guy barking like a dog!

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    There is nothing wrong with having dogs when out hunting. It is only illegal to USE the dogs FOR hunting (except in a few cases such as bear in some units).
    Yup nothing wrong until ya try to track a wounded animal or just blood trail a moose than ran.

Ya need a big game permit to track moose or brown bear- might have changed for moose not sure, but for black bear ya need a permit- free, from your areas biologist w ADFG

Yup nothing wrong until ya try to track a wounded animal or just blood trail a moose than ran.

Ya need a big game permit to track moose or brown bear- might have changed for moose not sure, but for black bear ya need a permit- free, from your areas biologist w ADFG

Regs (page 19) allow the use of a dog to track a wounded big game animal, no permit necessary (you need a big game tag/permit yourself to hunt the big game animal in the first place, but nothing specific for the dog). You do need a special permit from ADF&G to hunt black bears where that is allowed. As long as your dog is just going along with you on the hunt, there is no restriction.

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    Regs (page 19) allow the use of a dog to track a wounded big game animal, no permit necessary (you need a big game tag/permit yourself to hunt the big game animal in the first place, but nothing specific for the dog). You do need a special permit from ADF&G to hunt black bears where that is allowed. As long as your dog is just going along with you on the hunt, there is no restriction.
    Ya I thought it changed in last couple years. Use to be u had to have big game permit. The rule still is though when tracking, dog has to be leashed. Unless hunting black bear and then even tracking ya don’t have to be leashed. I keep mine leashed cause she has an excellent nose. If not paying very close attention ya won’t see the blood. Yes they circle n do all kinds of crazy after shot. Anyways they simplified it. I’ve been getting bear permit for 7+15 since ‘09. Before that it was PWS for 3 seasons.

One quick way to make a dog gun-shy is to fire off a high powered rifle near it (especially with a muzzle brake). If this guy makes a habit of this behavior it might be worth doing some "target" shooting when he rolls by. Or say you dropped your rifle and it needed a "zero check". Granted your hunt will be over for the day but it sounds like that's happening anyway. Or just roll up to him and ask him what his deal is and if he wouldn't mind not blowing your stalk. Record the conversation and if he's a dick about it turn over the recording to F&G.

I agree barking dogs make me need to sight in my rifle also......l
    “I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. “ Fred Bear

Barking dogs have a lot less impact on critters than people or wheelers do. From my experience most don't even pay attention to them or may simply move off a little unless that dog is really chasing them. Still out of courtesy for someone else's hunt one should keep em quiet or at home. But that's more of the owners issue than the dog.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk