Thread: My old "Beast Slayer"

Thumbs up My old "Beast Slayer"

Me and my "Beast Slayer", my customized Mod. 70 in .338 Winny, put the 225 grain Barnes TTSX bullet high into the lungs of the bull moose standing broad side at about 200 yards and he ran straight ahead about 30 feet at the shot and stopped. After watching it for about 30 seconds and thinking it would be about bleed out and falling over I was concerned it could disappear in the tall grass and neighboring trees so I aimed at the shoulder the next time and down it went.

He had the required 3 brow tines on one side and taped out at 44.4 inches on the spread and Fish and Game said he was probably three years old.

As expected, the bullets did their job and exited on the lung shot. The second shot took out the near side shoulder joint and punched a hole in the far side scapula. Where the bullet went is beyond me and I think it may of ended up tossed with some blood shot meat from the inside of the scapula my wife worked on. The scapula had the bullet hole but the meat on the out side of the scapula was not disturbed. Go figure, ya got me.

I know other calibers and bullets would of produced similar results with the same shot placement. But, on that day at that time I was only concerned with shot placement and I knew my rifle and load had all of the "right stuff" to do the task.

This was also one of the easiest moose hunts I have been on in 54 years and took place at first light on the first day this year. My wife and me thank God for that and the answered prayers.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Good for you, 338 mag:

That's Livin the Dream in the Greatland.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Having faith in what you are carrying is comforting- regardless the situation! I think that many people love to own the latest and newest items out, but it seems that when it comes down to it- we all seem to grab our favorite knife, gun, ammo, rod, or whatever as it is what makes us feel better even if we are not conscious of it. Familiarity and proven reliability- good for you and your family.

Atta Boy 338 Mag! I love it when a plan comes together.

We always second guess ourselves on those follow up shots. However every seasoned hunter has a story to tell about one that they should have shot again but didn't. I have never shot a moose but with deer now-a-day if they are still on their feet after the initial shot then they get another one. I once wasted a couple days looking for one that should have died but didn't.......never again! So good on ya for that coupe de grace shot!

Quote Originally Posted by AKBEE View Post
    Having faith in what you are carrying is comforting- regardless the situation! I think that many people love to own the latest and newest items out, but it seems that when it comes down to it- we all seem to grab our favorite knife, gun, ammo, rod, or whatever as it is what makes us feel better even if we are not conscious of it. Familiarity and proven reliability- good for you and your family.
    Amen Brother! I agree 100%