Thread: Shed Hunting

Default Shed Hunting

Well...it IS hunting so I figured I'd make ask this question here.

My twelve year old daughter loves going hunting every year with dad. Last year we were checking a moose rub and found two sheds from either two different bulls or at least two different years. Both had been nibled on, but she was hooked. I even taught here that it was a source of calcium for porcupines, squirrels and other rodents.
    Now I figured we could spend even more time outdoors in this great state by doing some shed hunting. The problem is I haven't the foggiest idea where to look. So can any of you give me a start on the basics of where to go, what areas to check or what to look for? Basically lookin for Caribou or Moose sheds. Not trying to compete with you guys who might make a living doing this, just trying to have fun with my daughter.

Thanks

Look for wintering area,general most moose horns are found on wind blown ridges above tree line,that doesn't mean you won't find them in your back yard...good luck

Default sheds

I would have to say I've found more horns in the river bottoms on willow covered gravel bars. What part of the state are you in?

Moose: River bottoms (particularly the river islands), Glacial moraines, willow flats in the lowlands, or farms that have grown up real brushy.
    Caribou: Wind blown ridges.
    The largest set of shed antlers I have ever seen, were being sold by a homeless woman on Tudor Road in Anchorage. She said she found them on Campbell Creek. That was this spring.

Do any of you folks ever find any blacktail sheds?

--Bill

Default Blacktail

I find a few ..... but in this part of Blacktail country with the rainforest jungle and the Wolf eats and chews them factors they a few and far between.

Default blacktail sheds

Bill,

On Kodiak Island you can find phenomenal numbers of blacktail sheds if you are in the right spot. I've picked up over a dozen in one day and have always found good numbers on my spring bear hunts there. Just after the snow melts is the best time to find them on Kodiak, once the grass starts growing they get a lot tougher to see.

I'll be on Kodiak in November, probably won't find any sheds but hopefully will find some carrying.

Thanks,
    --Bill

Buy an airplane to to find and collect moose antler I don't know how economical it is for these collectors but they always have the biggest piles of antlers for sale. They also always have a story or two to tell about almost crashing trying to land and pick them up. $8-10 a lb is the going rate.

Quote Originally Posted by dws View Post
    Buy an airplane to to find and collect moose antler I don't know how economical it is for these collectors but they always have the biggest piles of antlers for sale. They also always have a story or two to tell about almost crashing trying to land and pick them up. $8-10 a lb is the going rate.
    Are you kidding me? Folks actually use airplanes to go out and find sheds for a living?

I actually had some jerk come into my fenced back yard a few years back and steal three Caribou racks I had in the shed. Didn't take anything else but the racks and left several shed antlers that were laying nearby. The thing that really sucks about it is that they were from me and my dad's first Caribou hunt together out at Cold Bay back in the 70s. He died last year (brain tumor/Parkinsons) and they were a very personal momento. It never amazes me how some folks don't give a dang about anybody but themselves and have no consideration for other folks property. At least I still have the photos and the memories from that hunt.....

Quote Originally Posted by sal View Post
    Are you kidding me? Folks actually use airplanes to go out and find sheds for a living?
    I know of a couple that do real well but mostly it's some pilots who figured out a way to make a few dollars while doing what they like to do- fly. They will have piles of sheds worth $5000-6000 from a summers worth of collecting. Hardly a living if one of your toys is a plane
    As far as someone stealing your antlers, that's been a problem in alaska for a number of years now since the commercial demand for them from carvers skyrocketed. They're worth hundreds of dollars, hard to trace and easy to steal from yards.

Default Stolen Racks

I actually had some jerk come into my fenced back yard a few years back and steal three Caribou racks I had in the shed. Didn't take anything else but the racks and left several shed antlers that were laying nearby.
    Sal, I have actually been witness to the size of some of your caribou racks.....I think the guys that stole them got a raw deal

Stop by the Moose Shed place between Sterling and Soldotna they have some real nice Moose Shed hunting photos.

AKFishon,
    Next time I'm down that way I'll have to stop by instead of just driving on by. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Dustoff View Post
    Sal, I have actually been witness to the size of some of your caribou racks.....I think the guys that stole them got a raw deal
    Dude, what's your problem. I just noticed your only two posts were throwing me a bunch of crap...this one and the 40 mile one. Do I know you? Your sign on name indicates you're with C/1-52nd or used to be with the 68th. In any case as I said the racks that were stolen were one of the few momentos that I had from hunting with my father. I got to watch him die for 3 years while cancer and parkinsons ate him up so yeah...funny post man....good one...hope you're really proud. How old are you?

To all the rest who posted advice/tips. Thanks much and I really appreciate the info. Sorry for responding to "dustoff" but it struck a chord. hope you understand. I guess I'm still surprised as to some of the comments on the forums. I WILL however continue to respond to posts when I think I have something of value or info.

Sal, no disrespect towards your dad. I use to be in the 283rd. I don't think I have had the pleasure of meeting you. You sound like you have hunted all over AK with a lot of years and expirience in AK. I would like to pick your brain sometime. I left AK years ago and have now just returned back to this great state.

I do have a quick question for, if you can help me out.......do you know where I could get my hands on a good moose cart. One that won't cost me an arm and a leg. I am now living down in Delta Junction and haven't been able to find one anywhere for under $1000. A friend of mine at Ft Wainwright said that there was a guy (soldier, I think) making them at his house on post. I might try to get a hold of him if I can get his name. I heard that they are really good and sturdy.

AD

Default Moose cart

Copy.

Personally I was able to get a good deal on a Plaschem (in Anchorage) trailor. It works for me but some folks like the welded aluminum ones better. The Plaschem rig that I got cost me $700 but that was about 8 or 9 years go (can't remember). It's a great trailor and is actually air tight once you put the top on. It's also got a rack on the top and a fuel can rack on the rear.
    Some guys build their own out of wood and angle iron (might do that for a second trailor). Sorry, haven't heard of anyone on Wainwright or Eielson who makes them. If you have access to the lemon lot on base take a look there but act quick. The other day at the lemon lot on Elmendorf there was an aluminum trailor at a really good price but it sold before I could even call the guy.

In all honesty, I've only really needed the trailor twice. Just kinda worked out that way and we usually had several wheelers to transport the meat already. The couple times we did use them it was really nice. Especially packing the camp waaaay back in.

Next time I'm up that way I'll PM ya.
    Last edited by sal; 08-08-2007 at 03:50. Reason: typos