Thread: Some places for disabled people to fish?

Default Some places for disabled people to fish?

I'm new here to the board, definitely planning on being a contributing member to the forum in any way I can.

Early this year my father was struck with guillain barre syndrome, which attacked his legs and stuck him in the hospital for awhile. According to the doctor, it's one of those things that there's really no cure for, you just have to 'wait' for it to go away, and in alot of cases you do not recover 100%. We're hoping he gets his legs back, but for the meantime he's walking on a cane, or if he's going to be on his feet for more than fifteen minutes or so, we get him to a walker. As you know alaska's rivers, sometimes you have to be on your feet for hours at a time before you get a strike, and that's just not something he's capable of doing right now.

So where can a man pull up a chair and lay into some salmon, without having to fight his way onto a treacherous shoreline, contending with narrow trails and numerous obstacles? Last year there was a spot on ship creek where you can bobber fish for silvers on the incoming tide, where the water pooled up in a big circle, but this year it's private property and owned by a cargo company.

I guess we're just looking for spots where he can plunk some eggs or lures in a stationary position, or a place he can cast and drift spinners. We're hoping to hit the seward beaches a bit but as I understand it silvers are a couple of weeks away before the hittin' is really good.

Nice to find a place where we can discuss alaska fishing, I wish I knew of this place years ago. Anyway, thanks for any suggestions you may have!

-Kevin

Swiftwater Park in Soldotna comes to mind. And Kenai River Lodge, across from the Soldotna visitor's center.
    "Wine can of their wits the wise beguile, Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile." - Homer, Odyssey

Default Centennial Campground

The Centennial campground has a very nice raised wheelchair deck right over the river that is on a paved parking lot. It is right next to the visitors cener in Soldotna on the Kenai.
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???

Thumbs up homer fishong hole

nice ramp in a pretty good spot
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Default Eklunta Tailtrace

At Eklunta Tailtrace there is a really nice park and there is disabled parking right by the water and a wheelchair ramp that goes all the way to the water. It is made for folks to fish out of a wheel chair. Nice run of kings and the Silvers should be there soon. Both these kings came from there. Good Luck

Steve

Default near Russian Sanctuary

Isn't there still the spot reserved for handicapped immediately downstream of the Ferry Crossing on the Kenai? I haven't been down there in a couple of years, but I remember thinking how cool it was that they had a spot like that reserved, and watching folks in wheelchairs hook into sockeye.
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

There's one right upstream of the ferry. I don't know how friendly the bank is though. I plan on fishing the russian frequently over the red run, and I would be more than happy to help your dad enjoy a little fishing if you need :-).

Willow Creek Campground and Ekultna both have ramps to the water with a reserved area. Also between the bridges on Ship Creek.....it used to be where a Gal by the name of Sarah use to fish while her husband(?) worked the derby weigh in station. Only good on the incoming/high tide but always produced good fish.

Also Dudick Lagoon in Homer.
    Last edited by Dupont Spinner; 07-29-2007 at 01:22. Reason: added another

Please allow me to humbly thank you for all the information you guys have given!

One remaining though, in these wheelchair areas, do you think it's ok for a man to sit on his walker (or a camp chair) to fish? He's not wheelchair bound, and I'm wondering if there's any 'catches' to these disabled areas. He can walk to where he needs to go, he just can't stand.

Once again, thank you! Gives us alot of scoping to do!

Default Jim Creek?

sounds like he might be able to do jim creek also, use a 4 wheeler, and it makes it easy! All thes places are excellent, this is a great place to get ideas!

So you could just bring a chair then? If he doesn't mind fishing out of a chair then you could go out to some place like cotton wood creek too My brother takes a young guy out that broke his back in an accedent. they go out and set a camp chair on the bank. Though I must admit that the eklutna trail races would probably be the best of the places I've seen. Many Normal people fish from chairs there any way.

I realize it's an investment but another option to consider would be doing easy floats especially if it's a prolonged come back to health. my dad has some heart troubles these days and now I take him on rafting/fishing trips exclusively. It has been the ticket to getting him out on great water but without the strain of hiking. Get your dad a nice fishing seat and row him into the great holes. It's a great way to pay him back for everything they do for you while growing up.

Default Sport Fishing Spots for the Mobility Impaired

I am not sure if you saw this or not. It is mostly for thise confined to a wheel chair, but thought it might be helpful your dad.
    Kudos to you for looking out for your dad!

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/regio...tyimpaired.pdf

Default Assisted Fishing

If you ever want to fish the Interior with your Dad, let me know. I will be glad to have y'all in my boat. We owe to much to our parents not to get them out for what they enjoy. I know money is often a barrier, but I have a friend that had both legs removed and we back his 6 wheeler up to the water and he fishes out the back.

Aw man you guys are awesome. I really appreciate the helping hands here, it really goes a long way!

Kevin... what part of the state are you in (or looking at)?