Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Haul road hunt

Default Haul road hunt

Im going hunting next week (aug. 3) and will be there about a week and I was just wondering if anyone knows where the caribou are or where they may be around this time. I would appreciate any comments or advice...thanks alot!

Default Well........

I talked to a friend that works at Pump Station 2 tonight and he says they haven't seen many critters at all............for what it's worth.
    Good luck.
    RIDE TALL, SHOOT STRAIGHT AND ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH

Default haul rd

Im goin up tomorrow hopefully we see something

Default Next week

Heading up next Tuesday. Stopping in Fairbanks on Monday to buy supplies and food, then heading up next morning.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

You probably wont see much until the pump 2 area. Its still a bit early for them to be any further south.

Default Last year

Last year 20 miles north of the pass we had all we wanted. They were in herds of up to 300 or so. Cows and calfs walking all over the place.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Just got back from checking down the road. We saw 4 caribou, one bull with a cow and two lone cows, and 16 different vehicles with hunters. Most all of them were in campers or tents, hanging out in their camps and glassing in all directions. We drove 75 miles from Deadhorse.

Enjoy the crowds... I've never seen it that crowded this early before. Every pull off or access road within 30 miles of Deadhorse had camps in them.

Default Busy Season

Well I am hoping the number of hunters slimes down but they time that I get up there. We are looking at arriving on September 8th or so and still looking at floating the Sag River but maybe a little rough as far as rapids are concerned.

Thanks guys....sounds like slim pickins, hopefully it will pick up before I get there....keep me posted if you see or hear anything else...thanks

joker, where are you putting if for float not much for rapids north of ice cut and really nothing terrible from slope mountain DOT station to ice cut....i don't know if i would ride a canoe (do able but i'm not experienced enough to be comfortable with much for rapids....esp in my scanoe as they are not as manuverable) thru that section but but raft would be easy as was with my jet boat.
    south of DOT can be very nasty in spots i got in to 5 foot standing waves in jet boat and chickened out after taking in 50-60 gallons of water
    i expect i will be leaving from up there about 10 days before you arrive i will try to remember and give you a report on river when i return.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Default Not Sure

I am not sure where we are going to be putting in on the Sag River. My brother lives in Fairbanks and is supposed to be checking out map's to find out good spots. He has a 16 ft cataraft and my hope is we will see more Caribou if do the float. Is it hard to get rides back down the highway to get your vehicle? Thanks for the input!

Joker- i think i would start just north of pump 2 ( farther south would be good near DOT station but longer portage with raft and gear and you don't really gain much)there are multiple places that you can pull out. PS3 area should be good as migration should be bringing them in that general area.
    if very daring and good with the raft putting in at atigan river near PS4 would be best option but some real hairy rafting in atigan gorge. takes you out of bowhunting area and to sag then back to bow only area. very tough float from there to DOT station
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Default AK_Nim, boat size?

AK_Nimrod,

What size of boat are you running? I've seen quite a few people haul them up there, but have yet to see one on the river. Most I've seen go up and the a day or two going back (without racks)....figured water must have been too low. After seeing all the exposed rocks in Oct, I'm not sure I'd want to do it even in Aug.

I think the drive up would be just as bad or worse on it than the river though!

AK_BigO

There are lots of unsuccessful hunters up the rivers. Also, the road is hell on trailers and boats. The low water levels play hell on boats too. I don't know why anybody in their right mind would put their bodies and equipment through all that when it would be much cheaper to fly out somewhere closer to home.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerod View Post
    There are lots of unsuccessful hunters up the rivers. Also, the road is hell on trailers and boats. The low water levels play hell on boats too. I don't know why anybody in their right mind would put their bodies and equipment through all that when it would be much cheaper to fly out somewhere closer to home.
    Which air taxi service are you using? Not trying to be confrontational, but, I haven't had any luck finding affordable flyouts from Anchorage.

AK BIGO- i have a small jet boat "tank" with "bullet proof bottom"13 foot long.....heavy wt @1400 lbs.....175merc sportjet for power house
    most boats head up Ivashak to rifle hunt. rarely do i see anyone else on the SAG unless just heading to or returning from Ivashak.
    last year guy with sportjon torn the crap out of the bottom of his boat up there. year before water was real low, people had problems as well and seems water is even lower this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Stogey View Post
    Which air taxi service are you using? Not trying to be confrontational, but, I haven't had any luck finding affordable flyouts from Anchorage.
    Stogey, I don't use an air taxi to hunt caribou. From what I gathered, it is around $2000-$3000 for 2-3 hunters to get flown out and back. You could easily be well over that with the damage you can expect to trailer, truck and boat, and toss in the price of gas for a 1600 mile round trip for the truck and 60-100 gallons for the boat. This all for an area that you might not even see a caribou on the trip. Honostly though I have not researched air taxi's that much, but I've beat up my boat pretty bad on that river, luckily with no punctures or other major damage, but a new bottom will be in the works for me after another year or so. I also just had to put new drunk rails, glide rails, taillights, blocks, wiring and chains on my trailer due to damage from the road.

Out of curiousity, what prices are you finding for flyouts?

Smile Nice boat!

AK_Nimrod,

I like that little boat. Curious, other than agility, what do you gain by having it so short? It looks like something 16 or 18 would be pretty agile and carry more...of course it doesn't look like you're having any troubles with what it carries. I guess the 175SJ takes care of that.

When are you goin up next, I'd like to see it in action. It looks like a lot of fun. Did you get your smaller one (with the jet ski engine) sold?

AK_BigO

not sure what it gains or looses. seems to porpoise easily in deep water. they say it's carrying capacity is 1600 lbs
    not having driven 16 foot version and this being my first real jet boat experience i'm not sure. they were also putting up to 240 sj in 16 footers. now 250's. this boat is very heavy (1400 lbs). when i got this one ,on short notice, it was all that was available for design i wanted.
    yes i did sell the 12 footer 3 months ago or so. and looks like my big ocean boat will be sold shortly.
    already looking for it's replacement looking for aluminum bowpicker without all commercial fishing gear, and only 8-1/2 foot wide.....i really don't care if it has an engine and would be best if it didn't then i could put power plant in it i want and it would be new.

should be heading up haul road 17th or 18th but scrambling to to get someone to go, partner had to back out so i may not be going and will terrorize pike in valley instead.

Default New Air Taxi at Happy Valley

There is a new Air Taxi flying out of Happy Valley and a couple of hunters that I spoke with were successful and pleased with the service. The name is Mikes Airtaxi and a message phone is 1-800-577-4248. He didn't seem to be that busy so you might be able to stop by and get a flight. I don't know his charges. AKPT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast