Thread: Trolling techniques for Homer winter Kings?

Default Trolling techniques for Homer winter Kings?

Having recently purchased a boat that'll be docked in Homer this winter, I am looking for folks' favorite trolling setups for winter Kings down there. I have downriggers but no other equipment really. I've also never done any trolling for any type of fish previously, so I've been trying to read up on size of trolling weights, leader lengths, flashers vs dodgers, etc. Any advice to get me started would be much appreciated.
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

After posting the above, I did a forum search on this topic and found a number of threads. Sorry about that.

Have found that my best setups have been going to smaller lures trolled behind flashers. White hoochies were good for me last winter, as well as the miniture king kandy in cop car. A well rigged small whole herring will never let you down.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    Have found that my best setups have been going to smaller lures trolled behind flashers. White hoochies were good for me last winter, as well as the miniture king kandy in cop car. A well rigged small whole herring will never let you down.

Coho killer spoon behind a Gibbs flasher with 36-42" leader worked for me off the spit last Sept,
    Only 25 feet down on downrigger, watch your sonar. Sometimes deeper.

Leave the harbor early as you can. The days are short. Have fun exploring the area. I think that finding out how to fish one specific area effectively is a good idea. I think this is my 5th winter fishing out there and I love it. I hope you have a great winter season and I hope I will see you on the water hooking up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bkbaker View Post
    Leave the harbor early as you can. The days are short. Have fun exploring the area. I think that finding out how to fish one specific area effectively is a good idea. I think this is my 5th winter fishing out there and I love it. I hope you have a great winter season and I hope I will see you on the water hooking up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've seen all of your pics in the Homer winter king thread You have absolutely figured out how to catch them. Very impressive. I'm an hour and a half from the docks down there now, so we'll be spending a of time down there this winter. Hope to see you there.