Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Crazy Sheep Hunt Video Series

Great job. Glad you could see it through- many people would not have put forth the effort. True sportsmanship.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyin 1 On View Post
    Yes I did, I am curious on how the rules work for a situation where the animal may not be a legal one but injured from from someone else shooting it?
    I did some looking around the F&G website and still can't be sure, but in this case, I do believe that had that ram not been legal, F&G wants you to call them about it or fill out this "Wildlife Encounter Form". https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cf...encounter.main Personally, I believe the right thing to, weather this animal was legal or not, was to do what Jasen did....put it out of it's misery. But I don't know if F&G looks at it the same way. Because if someone brings in an illegal animal to them and tells them this story, it would be hard for them to know weather or not the same person did the shooting or indeed there was somebody else.

Years ago after my buddy and I killed our rams, I happened to look across a big drainage from us and spot a dead sheep on a hillside with nobody around. It just so happens that the day before, opening day, it was like a war going on over there from hunters shooting at sheep. On the hike out we told a trooper that had flown in at the cabin checking hunters and he asked if one of us would go for a fly and try to locate it. My buddy went with him and showed him where it was at. Later F&G called us back and informed us that they had taken a helicopter over to the closest spot to the ram and hiked up to it. They determined upon an autopsy that the sublegal ram had died from a heart attack. There wasn't a bullet hole in it.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I agree 100%, I believe they did the right thing to do legal or not. But as you said would fish and game think the same. Thankfully he was of age which is really lucky on their part!! But if it was illegal I wonder if they would drop the hammer or just make them turn it in? The Wildlife encounter form tells me these guys would of gotten in trouble for a truly good deed.
    Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    I did some looking around the F&G website and still can't be sure, but in this case, I do believe that had that ram not been legal, F&G wants you to call them about it or fill out this "Wildlife Encounter Form". https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cf...encounter.main Personally, I believe the right thing to, weather this animal was legal or not, was to do what Jasen did....put it out of it's misery. But I don't know if F&G looks at it the same way. Because if someone brings in an illegal animal to them and tells them this story, it would be hard for them to know weather or not the same person did the shooting or indeed there was somebody else.

Years ago after my buddy and I killed our rams, I happened to look across a big drainage from us and spot a dead sheep on a hillside with nobody around. It just so happens that the day before, opening day, it was like a war going on over there from hunters shooting at sheep. On the hike out we told a trooper that had flown in at the cabin checking hunters and he asked if one of us would go for a fly and try to locate it. My buddy went with him and showed him where it was at. Later F&G called us back and informed us that they had taken a helicopter over to the closest spot to the ram and hiked up to it. They determined upon an autopsy that the sublegal ram had died from a heart attack. There wasn't a bullet hole in it.
    "Nothing worse than a GROUSE!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Tyin 1 On View Post
    I agree 100%, I believe they did the right thing to do legal or not. But as you said would fish and game think the same. Thankfully he was of age which is really lucky on their part!! But if it was illegal I wonder if they would drop the hammer or just make them turn it in? The Wildlife encounter form tells me these guys would of gotten in trouble for a truly good deed.

Obviously it's good we didn't have to worry about it. If it would have been sub legal I am guessing we would have taken lots of pictures and called it in, explaining the situation. They probably would have taken it but I doubt they would have charged us with anything given the situation. Glad we didn't have to go down that road!!

Some years ago a few friends and I were in a similar situation, though not the same ending.

We went out on snowshoes hoping to get a caribou in our sights. Many of the hunters in the are were on snow-machines, so the animals were scattered and scared before day light. We finally saw one across a small cut, seemed like dumb luck, but we smiled and put it down. We made our way into and back up the other side over to the caribou while the wives returned to fetch our packs. When we got close to it there was obviously something wrong with that animal. Ribs and hip bones were showing through like a dairy cow! We rolled it over and saw the cause. There was a huge wound on the far side rear ham, pretty much 50% gone and smelling badly too.
    Amazing that it was alive after a major wound like that, long enough to become starved and smelly
    When our womens returned, we had them bring down our stuff and took a bunch of photographs (yep was a long time ago) and took not single scrap of what little meat remained on that starving septic animal. I'd like to believe we put it out of it's misery.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBEE View Post
    Great job. Glad you could see it through- many people would not have put forth the effort. True sportsmanship.
    Thank you! We were fortunate to see it all happen and be able to make the hike up there. I would like to think a majority of AK hunters would have done the same thing!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12