Thread: Solar 470 Tunneled Inflatable Jet Boat vs bouldery creek

Supporting Member

Default Solar 470 Tunneled Inflatable Jet Boat vs bouldery creek

My buddy made easy work of a bouldery lake fed river down in se ak with his 15'5" inflatable and 60/40 2 stroke. Aluminum boats avoid this river due to its bouldery goodness. This isn't even the most granite mined section either.

Just bought a 470 my 420 is for sale on the classified, complete with motor ready to go.

Supporting Member

420's rock, going to miss mine. Best jet boat is portability is a big factor. I could load it and my 30 I to an 18ft Lund and do solo trips pretty easily. Too small for 4 kids and a dog though so I'm getting a 500

We are looking at getting one of these too. I see the 470 and 500 are almost similar, what are people running on the 500s? Which boat would be best for 2-3 guys moose hunting. Thinking of running the big boat some where then using the solar for day tripping from camp. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by dixopr View Post
    We are looking at getting one of these too. I see the 470 and 500 are almost similar, what are people running on the 500s? Which boat would be best for 2-3 guys moose hunting. Thinking of running the big boat some where then using the solar for day tripping from camp. Thoughts?
    I have had good luck doing this type thing, for both moose and bear.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"

For what you want to do, a 420 for 2 guys day hunting from the big boat, would be the best for portability with a LW 2 stroke jet. My new 470 will be a trailer boat.

Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by dixopr View Post

I agree with kk, 500 is deeper v than 470. My 420 with a 30 omc would put 1000lbs on step and cruise upriver at 13-16, 23 slack water with 1-2 people and could easily be moved by 2 people and could be loaded and unloaded solo. Loved that boat, just bought a 500 and putting a 40(big 40) 2 stroke merc on it (209lbs) will be better family boat and for longer expeditions, and will work in the salt to a degree. If I had a nice large boat to haul a jet with I'd stick with the 420 but that is not in the cards. Solar also is making a 450 arrow now as well it's just the 420 stretched a foot, this could potentially be a good option as well. 420 with a 25-30 is killer, 450 arrow with 30-50 2 stroke would rock. 470 needs a 40 or bigger to shine the 500 is doable with 40 but ideally a 50 or larger due to the v. The 420 is similar size/weight to stid's jet ranger there, little beamier, and could be hauled similarily.
    How big is your larger boat, if big enough and you have the man power a 470 or 500 with something like a TLDI 50/35 would be killer. 3 guys and gear in a 420 would get cramped, moose on top of it......youd want the bigger boat/motor or would just have to do multiple trips. All depends on what you want. 1-2 dudes- 420 all day, 2-3 dudes bigger boat and motor makes sense plus could keep it on a trailer and run other rivers while not moose hunting. They all rock and I have alot of time/miles in 470 arrow and 420 arrows and should be taking my 500 for it's first run later today. 907-nine-88-8769 feel free to call or text and chat.
    470 with 60/40 2 stroke merc will put 1000lbs on step and do 25....but its a beast of a motor

Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by kk alaska View Post
    For what you want to do, a 420 for 2 guys day hunting from the big boat, would be the best for portability with a LW 2 stroke jet. My new 470 will be a trailer boat.

I want them all!!!! With all the motors!!! Will miss the 420, stupid fun running tiny creeks in that thing, 470 is great as well but a different animal-at least with a 60/40 2 stroke!

Quote Originally Posted by Troy Sharp View Post
    I want them all!!!! With all the motors!!! Will miss the 420, stupid fun running tiny creeks in that thing, 470 is great as well but a different animal-at least with a 60/40 2 stroke!
    Thanks Troy. I think the 470 would probably be the best option. I can get a 50/35 tohatsu here pretty easy. My big boat is 22 foot, 6.5 foot bottom so plenty of space. I had thought about packing it up and bringing it with a compressor to the cabin at least, then running the smaller rivers.

We run 100 miles up these rivers sometimes so we would pack a load of gas going up then idle out while hunting. Thoughts Troy?

Supporting Member

The 470 is stupid capable and can be easily packed down with 2 dudes and a 50/35. You won't be dissapointed

That's some water!!! Thanks for the video!

420 for sale on Crgs List not mine Yamaha 25 is light good package.
    https://anchorage.craigslist.org/boa...981612322.html

My 420 with a 30hp 2 stroke burned about 3.5 GPH With a 4 Stroke 25 Merc Jet power burned 1.2 GPH

With my new 470 under 5hrs on it before I put it away for the winter. 50 - 35 Tohatsu 4 stroke about 2.3 GPH on 2 runs. Need more hrs to get
    a better average but very efficient, and it will haul a ton literally, and stay on step at low speeds with a load.

This 470 is intriguing to me. What do you guys think are some good motors for it? I'm looking for something I can carry in my inboard jetboat to extend my hunting range up skinny rivers/creeks. And then be able to pack a moose back down in. This looks like just the ticket.

you'd be better suited with a 420 for that...a motor you can move around & manage plus they'll run super skinny

Outboards that will work well for the 470 are older 40 to 50 hp 2 stroke outbards they are loud and use a lot of fuel but are LW, and have quick 2 stroke power.

New motors the Tohatsu 50 hp 2 stroke Direct injection 196# or the 50 hp Tohatsu 4 stroke Tohatsu 218# other brands need to go on a diet to work well.

Motors for the 420, Merc 25 Jet power 4 stroke but 186 # older 30 hp 2 strokes around 140 plus #

Have owned both 470 Arrow and the 420 Arrow is more portable, and they will run in the same water. Iwould say 2 guys for the 420 3 guys I would want the 470.

Have the 420 Vega and we power it with the LW 25 HP 2 stroke Merc about 123# works well .

Would be easy to have a davit and a winch to load and unload the motor and boat. Young guys can muscle it!

One thing I like about the 470 is no trim tabs, you have wheels to move it around. 420 with trim tabs have no wheels. Easy to move and launch
    with wheels by myself.

I bought the new 50 hp Tohatsu 4 stroke around 218 lbs. But mine is a trailer boat, 4 stroke laying motor down ads issues laying it down.

Older 2 stroke jet outboard,s that are Light weight are hard to find with so many boats sold, and expect 16 plus week wait or more if buying
    a new jet unit for a older 2 stroke.

The 420 on Craigs list is a good package and there are no 420,s available. Price a new 25 hp Yamaha and price is fair.

Quote Originally Posted by kk alaska View Post
    The 420 on Craigs list is a good package and there are no 420,s available. Price a new 25 hp Yamaha and price is fair.

thanks KK for the bump....this is a new. never used boat & brand new lightweight Yamaha 25hp motor, 126lbs, comes with new jet pump kit plus prop, extra Jetech urethane/rubber foot for jet pump.

Quote Originally Posted by excav8tr View Post

thanks KK for the bump....this is a new. never used boat & brand new lightweight Yamaha 25hp motor, 126lbs, comes with new jet pump kit plus prop, extra Jetech urethane/rubber foot for jet pump.
    Been drooling on that picture for awhile now. ****. Freight to SE is no fun.

JM