Thread: Solar 470 Tunneled Inflatable Jet Boat vs bouldery creek

Supporting Member

Default Solar 470 Tunneled Inflatable Jet Boat vs bouldery creek

My buddy made easy work of a bouldery lake fed river down in se ak with his 15'5" inflatable and 60/40 2 stroke. Aluminum boats avoid this river due to its bouldery goodness. This isn't even the most granite mined section either.

Just bought a 470 my 420 is for sale on the classified, complete with motor ready to go.

Supporting Member

420's rock, going to miss mine. Best jet boat is portability is a big factor. I could load it and my 30 I to an 18ft Lund and do solo trips pretty easily. Too small for 4 kids and a dog though so I'm getting a 500

We are looking at getting one of these too. I see the 470 and 500 are almost similar, what are people running on the 500s? Which boat would be best for 2-3 guys moose hunting. Thinking of running the big boat some where then using the solar for day tripping from camp. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by dixopr View Post
    We are looking at getting one of these too. I see the 470 and 500 are almost similar, what are people running on the 500s? Which boat would be best for 2-3 guys moose hunting. Thinking of running the big boat some where then using the solar for day tripping from camp. Thoughts?
    I have had good luck doing this type thing, for both moose and bear.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"

For what you want to do, a 420 for 2 guys day hunting from the big boat, would be the best for portability with a LW 2 stroke jet. My new 470 will be a trailer boat.

Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by dixopr View Post

I agree with kk, 500 is deeper v than 470. My 420 with a 30 omc would put 1000lbs on step and cruise upriver at 13-16, 23 slack water with 1-2 people and could easily be moved by 2 people and could be loaded and unloaded solo. Loved that boat, just bought a 500 and putting a 40(big 40) 2 stroke merc on it (209lbs) will be better family boat and for longer expeditions, and will work in the salt to a degree. If I had a nice large boat to haul a jet with I'd stick with the 420 but that is not in the cards. Solar also is making a 450 arrow now as well it's just the 420 stretched a foot, this could potentially be a good option as well. 420 with a 25-30 is killer, 450 arrow with 30-50 2 stroke would rock. 470 needs a 40 or bigger to shine the 500 is doable with 40 but ideally a 50 or larger due to the v. The 420 is similar size/weight to stid's jet ranger there, little beamier, and could be hauled similarily.
    How big is your larger boat, if big enough and you have the man power a 470 or 500 with something like a TLDI 50/35 would be killer. 3 guys and gear in a 420 would get cramped, moose on top of it......youd want the bigger boat/motor or would just have to do multiple trips. All depends on what you want. 1-2 dudes- 420 all day, 2-3 dudes bigger boat and motor makes sense plus could keep it on a trailer and run other rivers while not moose hunting. They all rock and I have alot of time/miles in 470 arrow and 420 arrows and should be taking my 500 for it's first run later today. 907-nine-88-8769 feel free to call or text and chat.
    470 with 60/40 2 stroke merc will put 1000lbs on step and do 25....but its a beast of a motor

Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by kk alaska View Post
    For what you want to do, a 420 for 2 guys day hunting from the big boat, would be the best for portability with a LW 2 stroke jet. My new 470 will be a trailer boat.

I want them all!!!! With all the motors!!! Will miss the 420, stupid fun running tiny creeks in that thing, 470 is great as well but a different animal-at least with a 60/40 2 stroke!

Quote Originally Posted by Troy Sharp View Post
    I want them all!!!! With all the motors!!! Will miss the 420, stupid fun running tiny creeks in that thing, 470 is great as well but a different animal-at least with a 60/40 2 stroke!
    Thanks Troy. I think the 470 would probably be the best option. I can get a 50/35 tohatsu here pretty easy. My big boat is 22 foot, 6.5 foot bottom so plenty of space. I had thought about packing it up and bringing it with a compressor to the cabin at least, then running the smaller rivers.

We run 100 miles up these rivers sometimes so we would pack a load of gas going up then idle out while hunting. Thoughts Troy?

Supporting Member

The 470 is stupid capable and can be easily packed down with 2 dudes and a 50/35. You won't be dissapointed

That's some water!!! Thanks for the video!

420 for sale on Crgs List not mine Yamaha 25 is light good package.
    https://anchorage.craigslist.org/boa...981612322.html