Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What about the .350 Legend?

Quote Originally Posted by Lowrider View Post
    Back when I lived in a much more repressive state and built guns for fun and a little profit I used a H&R single in 44 Mag with a suppressor as a herd reduction tool...way too many deer for the bean and corn fields so crop protection permits abounded. The 300 gr flat nose or 265 gr Keith at 1000 fps were absolutely deadly out to 100 or so yards. Never met a deer that could shake off a 44 Spl either. All deer went to food kitchens feeding the hungry folks. Great fun except for the gut and skin part.
    We have a lot of folk here who are only in it for the hunt and could care less about the meat. About 20 years ago a certain group of hunters asked me if I wanted any deer if they got more than they wanted. I said sure as long as they have legal tags on them. I came home from church the following Sunday at about noon and there were five does piled in front of the garage. I didn't get to watch the Vikings play that day. By the time I got 5 deer skinned, boned out and package it was my bedtime. I had to go buy another freezer the next day to hold all of it until the kids came home with coolers. That was an ongoing tradition with that group up until a couple of years ago when the group leader died and the group fell apart. Those deer were on top of the 4 or 5 that I killed every year. My wife and I along with our grown kids, their spouses and the grandkids is 23 people. It takes a lot of deer to feed that brood.

Ok back to the 350 Legend.....If it had come onto the scene a few years ago I might have bought a couple of the Ruger Americans for the boys. However they each have their CVA Hunter with the barrel cropped and recrowned at 16.25 inches and stocks shortened to 11 inches. The load that they shoot is 8 grains of Titegroup under a 240 grain cast/gas checked bullet. That load runs 1,000 fps. They both killed nice deer last year that leaked from both sides. Both shots were <50 yards. So Lowrider right with you on using big, not so fast bullets at moderate ranges.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowrider View Post
    I have lots of .358 bullets...
    Please check the specs for the .350 Legend again, Lowrider. I think that it uses slightly smaller pistol diameter bullets of .355"/9mm - .357", not the normal rifle diameter of .358". You might be able to shoot cast .358" slugs at moderate velocities through a bolt-action rifle, but, that might cause problems in an AR's direct-impingement gas-system? And jacketed .358" rifle bullets would probably cause higher pressures when driven to full speed in the .350 Legend. Most, if not all .350 Legend ammo, uses proprietary pistol diameter bullets, designed to be driven at rifle-like velocities.
    "Luckily, enforcement reads these forums, and likely will peruse this one...Especially after a link of it is forwarded to them....." - AlaskaHippie.

You're correct Blu. They are supposed to be smaller than .358. My Legend AR barrel is something like .355/.356 but I can't find my dead soft barrel slugging lead to get a good reading AND haven't gotten any dies yet. If it comes out to be .356 I will certainly try some .358 bullets and approach them slowly.

I have a gaggle of 9mm bullets as "over runs" from that company that starts with an "H" and they mic .358 and my Glock barrels eat them like candy. Back when I was shooting IDPA a lot the loads made power factor and were accurate so I'll just shoot them till they're gone.

Thanks for looking out for me!
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

A couple of thousands will probably raise pressure a bit but back down on the powder charge to a starting load and work up to pressure signs like you should always do and it will work fine. You may lose a bit of velocity but a few fps really isn't going to make a bunch of difference. Most folks would be better off to learn to shoot better and hunt better than to depend on the newest whizbang whatever to get their deer for them. A 357 mag in a rifle or carbine should work fine to about 150Yds with a bit of practice and if you can't get within 150yds of a deer in the states that requires these special cartridges, you might need hunting school as well. Lots of folks take deer with a bow, a 357 handgun is much easier. The 350 Legend is fine for what it's for but it won't make a hunter out of someone that won't put in a bit of time to become proficient with his gun and learn to hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    A couple of thousands will probably raise pressure a bit but back down on the powder charge to a starting load and work up to pressure signs like you should always do and it will work fine. You may lose a bit of velocity but a few fps really isn't going to make a bunch of difference. Most folks would be better off to learn to shoot better and hunt better than to depend on the newest whizbang whatever to get their deer for them. A 357 mag in a rifle or carbine should work fine to about 150Yds with a bit of practice and if you can't get within 150yds of a deer in the states that requires these special cartridges, you might need hunting school as well. Lots of folks take deer with a bow, a 357 handgun is much easier. The 350 Legend is fine for what it's for but it won't make a hunter out of someone that won't put in a bit of time to become proficient with his gun and learn to hunt.
    You said a whole mouthful there rbuck351! A deer shot in the @$$ is a deer shot in the @$$ and it doesn't matter much with what you shoot it. Same goes for a hole through both lungs....they can only get so dead! it's where ya hit them not what ya hit them with!

Lowrider if it were me i'd just run a bunch of my cast 358 bullets through a 355-356 sizer and be done with it.

I bought the 450 bushmaster version for the grandkids but i have taken a hankering to it and it's mine now. I have been low bidding on these 350 legends in a Ruger American on the auction sights and will land one sooner or later.....I always do.

Hmmm I can still hit a soft ball at 20 yds most of the time with my Martin recurve and a ways farther with the single cam. The old Bear 2 blade will do everything I need. Wonder if I can justify using a rifle anymore. Maybe not but they're fun anyway.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

I used to shoot a Mathews bow set on 72 lbs. I could draw it easy at any angle. Then I quit climbing poles and quit all of the physical lifting when I started splicing fiber optic cable. In a matter of a few years I not only turned 60 years old but lost some of that muscle tone required to pull that bow. All of my treestands were set up to be 30-40 yards from the trail and that bow was perfect at 30-40 yards. When I could no longer pull that bow without pointing it skyward I hung it up and went to muzzleloader and gun hunting. Besides the pheasant population is on the rize here-a-bouts and it coincides with bow season timewise so I reckon my bow hunting days are a thing of the past.

The one regret I have is never killing a deer with a recurve. That separates the men from the boys in my book. I used to do a lot of bowfishing for carp with a recurve but never used one for deer. I can still shoot a 50lb recurve pretty well but at the moment not good enough to wing arrows at deer. This thing called father time is catching up on me too!

I shoot recurve most times but only 40lb...never seen a reason for more power...let the sharp edges do the killing.

It amazes me what an arrow will penetrate. I have only shot one deer and one caribou but haven't recovered any arrows.

Only deer I've shot with a bow that wasn't a pass thru was a 80 lb doe that I shot from the ground at maybe 15 yds right in the white spot on her chest. Arrow went all the way thru her and stuck in her left hip and stopped there. She stumbled in a circle and fell over. I found her aorta was completely severed by a two blade Muzzy... I think... when I gutted her. I learned that the between the front shoulders seems to put the path thru the heart and if you're too high you get the spine or a lung. A good angle is very important.

Friend of mine go a 6x6 elk this Fall with that shot at about 25 yds and the same results. It took him and two other guys all night to haul out the meat. Sometimes it pays to get out of the tree stand.

A neighbor has a Legend and he's shooting hard cast 165gr Keith (358421 Lyman I think) sized to 0.358" and at 50 yds he say it's right at an inch or so for 3 shot groups. H has had some feeding issues in the AR. I modified some ACS 5 rund mags and they seem to feed better as a 10 shot mag Less spring pressure may help.

I had the local gun shop order a 350 legend in the Ruger American Youth model. My grandson has killed deer the last two years in the woods where I have hunted for years. He used a CVA Hunter in 44 mag at ranges around 50 yards. The barrel was cropped at 16 inches and the stock at 11&1/2". His load was 240 grain Keith style bullet running 1,000 fps. I am moving to western Iowa and we will be hunting more open country. I figure a 350 legend will be more accomodating for the 100-150 yard shots that we will be the norm. I will use my Ruger American 450 Bushmaster with a 200 grain Hornady SST running north of 2500 fps....or my CVA Accura MR 50 caliber Muzzleloader. Both are good to 200 yards.

I had an early Savage 10ML that used smokeless and it shot like a rifle. I killed a 11 pt (Eastern count) at about 160 yds on a road right of way, but mostly the shots are under 50 yds or sometimes 25 yds.

Let us know how that Ruger works out please.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12