Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tips for getting through the Alders

The Stihl large and mid size loppers work very well and is what I use for clearing them. Actually faster than a chainsaw for all but the thickest since they are springy buggers.

Can't add much to the navigating tips. Yes, patient determination is the formula.
    I will second the advice to tape your barrel. I also liked to use the bikini-style scope covers. They do a good job of keeping water out and won't get broken by the regular beatings from the alder branches. Some guys don't use them 'cause they will also hold water in, seems like any good cover would though, right? They are also practically disposable cheap, so I like that!
    Bears love to travel through the spaces under the branches, depending on your size and height, that may be the best way to go.

The best item I have found for clearing a path through alders is the sandvik tool. As long as they are green/alive it will slice through the biggest ones like butter with a good swing. Clearing a path is a lot of work unless it is a place you plan to return to over the years. You also might want to find an entry point that is identifiable to you and go a good distance in before clearing your path so it will be less obvious to others, keeping it your "private" trail.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12