Thread: Me and my .44 mag.

Unhappy Me and my .44 mag.

I was at the range today shooting my Marlin 45-70, my .338 Winny and my S&W .44 Mountain Gun. The rifle shooting was from the bench and that went ok. The hand gun shooing was borderline pathetic. It was obvious I have not spent much time with the little bruiser the last few years.

So after hunting season I will load up a few hundred more 260 grain hard cast LBT's and go back to the basics. But first I think I will get a set of those Hamilton Bowen Rugged Country sights on the little beast. If I like the sights I will get another set for the Redhawk .45 Colt I picked up and still have not fired.

Must be my old age, I used to be a fair shot with my .44's and shot them often. They ain't near as much fun as my old .45 ACP 1911.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

.338 mag:
    Awwww, you jist need to buckle down a bit. The reason why your shooting is not up to YOUR standards, is probably more due to neglect, than age.

Since you hand load you can back off on the powder charge, for less recoil.

Hogue Grips would surely help, unless you've already optimized that.

Now, Thanks to You, I've gotta go shoot my 44 Mag, and 45 ACP.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Attachment 98274
    I tried to work up a load last year as my .44 that used to be my "go to" gun for NY Whitetails. I tried reduced loads but they weren't very accurate but this near full load of 296, mag. primer and 25 grains of 296 pushing a 210 grain HP looks promising. Only 20 yards but getting there. When I can get that at 50 I'll be happier.

Hillary moved to NY and I moved out.

Latest Report. 44 mag and 45 ACP, both fun to shoot. Ear shots on Bears a piece of cake.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

I dunno Smitty a bear with a pierced ear is apt to be a ornery fella!

"Just like riding a bike" doesn't apply to shooting big handguns. I always shoot a couple hundred rounds prior to deer season just to get tuned up. Also I have noticed guys that can pick up any big handgun and shoot it well. They are usually guys still in their prime which I must admit is a yusta was for me. This past weekend I shot a 460 S&W mag for the first time. It was 9&1/2 inches long and kinda sorta heavy with a muzzle brake. The recoil didn't feel any sharper than a real stout load in my 629 Classic. I kinda liked it and if we had some 2,000 lb deer running around these parts I might fetch me one home......but we don't so I'll stick with my 44 mags and 45 Colts for deer killing.

BrownBear and I used to visit about how many deer we kilt with S&W 686's and 125 grain holler points going lickety split. They go off like a grenade in a deer's boiler room and I can shoot a 686 real goot! Man I miss Hank on this forum!

I'll take the piece of cake Smitty while you deal with the bears!

I am supposed to be retiring in 295 days. So I says to my self...."self you don't need anymore guns." Then this weekend a real nice 4 inch 686 shows up being offered for $500 so I defied my own words of wisdom and bought it. I may have to pitch a retirement days tent in your backyard Smitty!

EKC:
    I war talkin bout tother night. Sometimes, I can shoot without flinching, and I group pretty good. My 29 is actually easy to shoot. It's big and heavy, and has a 6" barrel. It had Hogue grips when I,buyed it. I only shoot my handloads, which are always a little short of max.

Tonight, I shot 45 ACP, 24 rounds, 230, FLs. The bar wooda got me.

OK, I've got 6 or 7 tents and a buncha tarps. Not, that you'd need one, it never rains in Alaska. One is a Mountain Climbing tent. I used it twice in the snow, and nearly froze off, both times.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.