Thread: Launching a Zodiac in Seward

Default Launching a Zodiac in Seward

Was planning to take the Zodiac out of Seward next Friday. Is there any where other the ramp at the small boat harbor to launch from. I heard about a beach at Lowell point, but not sure. It would be launched from a small EZ load trailer. Was hoping that with the smaller craft I could avoid the main ramp and the big boats. Heard that some guys were waiting for 2 hours last week to load their boats.

Thanks

There are two main boat launches. I never once had to wait more than 15 minutes to launch and we fish the Silver Salmon derby every year.
    That being said, I do not know if you can launch off the beach or not. If your boat is small I wouldnt see any problems lauching it off the beach.
    Tennessee

I don't think I have ever waited 2 hrs to load or unload my boat anywhere, not even Deshka landing when there really isn't anywhere to park the boat. Seward is usually pretty quick in and out, Whittier on the other hand can take a while sometimes especially at low tide. I don't recall ever waiting 2 hrs there though either.

Quote Originally Posted by Western View Post
    Was planning to take the Zodiac out of Seward next Friday. Is there any where other the ramp at the small boat harbor to launch from. I heard about a beach at Lowell point, but not sure. It would be launched from a small EZ load trailer. Was hoping that with the smaller craft I could avoid the main ramp and the big boats. Heard that some guys were waiting for 2 hours last week to load their boats.

Thanks
    Are you sure it's not the Kenai for dipnetting that's 2 hours?

Default Launching at Seward

Just use the main launch, you'll be fine it'sa piece of cake compared to Whittier.
    I launch my 16" Achilles there. Seward is one of my favorite launches.

Thanks. The guy who told me must have been full of it. Looking forward to catching some silvers.

Default if you choose not to

There is a beach launch that we use a few times a year down by Millers landing. Its pretty easy compared to deep creek or any other beach launch.
    Parking can be difficult even with a small trailer because you will be looking to park on the road. Just take the road past Millers landing to the end & you will hit it. Otherwise like the others said the harbor works well.

Default Easy enough & Launch & Go

Before a lot of places had launches and or we had a trailer, we used to take the Zodaic down on the beach, set it up, put the motor and gear in. Take the anchor out to the incoming waters edge (very first thing) and set it, and wait for the incoming tide to float us, and pull the boat out on the anchor rope. Now that was tough.
    Whittier is not bad at all, if you go through with the hord, who most don't know how to launch or that the launch dock is not a parking dock and thats why they have transit space. Or not to make the guy who parks the truck walk all the way back to the dock but rather pick him up at the fuel dock or the hotel dock.
    Anyway wait an extra 1/2hour for the dock to clear after the tunnel opening and the hords will be gone.

Default Caution

One word of caution. Seward in the morning (when a lot of folks go out) can be deceptively calm. And once you get out to Pony Cove or farther the water can be like a lake early in the day. But in the afternoon when the wind kicks up the ride back into Seward can be quite rough and gets even more fun with the large tour boats coming and going. We saw a smaller Zodiac out in Pony on Sunday afternoon. I sure wouldn't want to have attempted going back into Seward in an open boat like that. Hopefully they were off of a sailboat nearby...
    Ruby at the end of a good day.

Forecast is calling for 4' seas in Resurrection on Friday. I'd better get a bigger boat so I don't have to cancel trips due to weather. Think I'll be on a river somewhere come Friday unless the forecast changes.

I noticed the Bay get rough a few weeks ago coming back from a fishing trip while on a charter. Would have been fun in the zodiac, but not with the family.

Looks like it`s calling for 3' this weekend...which means 3-4 plus wakes.

http://pafc.arh.noaa.gov/marfcst.php...K51PAFC#PKZ120