Thread: OB lift on an HB

Default OB lift on an HB

Anyone ever built and used a lift for their HB or other freighter? Going to fab one up (5") so that I can have it along, and if I want to run shallow for extended periods, I can just lift up the OB, slap in the spacer, and keep going.
    Its going to have braces on it extending forward to the gunnels where it will be bolted.
    Fighting gravity is never cheap.

I had one on my HB only used my Yamaha 8 hp on it.

Quote Originally Posted by kk alaska View Post
    I had one on my HB only used my Yamaha 8 hp on it.
    Did it work out for you?

Worked great used it all over should be picture of it on the old Scott HB thread I started years ago. Was to light built i thought to safely use my 20 hp Tohatsu. And I took 8 hp off when on the trailer.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My buddy has a lift on his HB that he has used on the Tanana for two decades. It is of a different design than KK's and the 20HP OB sits on top of existing transom.

Mine was to light built for the 20 hp but with the 8hp and the set back, you could run the prop high in the stern wave, above the bottom of the boat.

I brought my first 2 moose home with a little freighter powered by a Honda 8 on a lift. It was better than no lift, but for shallow/rocky/vegetation or anything besides deep clean lake or ocean water, I'm not looking back from mud motors.

Attachment 98268

Quote Originally Posted by aknative1987 View Post
    I brought my first 2 moose home with a little freighter powered by a Honda 8 on a lift. It was better than no lift, but for shallow/rocky/vegetation or anything besides deep clean lake or ocean water, I'm not looking back from mud motors.
    I was under the perhaps mistaken impression that mud motors/surface drives didn't do well in rocky rivers.

I've had several different versions of mud motors, some are more violent when bouncing off rocks than others. All of them I've had so far are much better at bouncing over rocks than any outboard I've had the pleasure to abuse and misfortune to repair. Being air cooled and having fewer moving parts, I'm much more worried about tearing holes in my boat...again...than I am beating up my mud motors on the rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukoner View Post
    I was under the perhaps mistaken impression that mud motors/surface drives didn't do well in rocky rivers.
    If you get ah chance Yukoner, do check out North61's 14 hp copperhead right there in Whitehorse. Before, with his time constraints with his career, it wasn't easy for him to leave the crowds via 20 hp Honda. Though a bit under-powered, his one lunger (single cylinder) copperhead has really put him out there up rocky creeks and onto less hunted moose pastures for about 6 years now. He hangs it off a 21 ft Scott. I typically add a UHMW rock guard on the skeg. When the going gets rocky, it muffles the abusive force of rock on metal. You set it on bottom and alow it to be a shock absorber in really shallow riffles. In mud, it allows you to dig in. I don't like those pitch fork style guards because I like to be a able to dig into the muck.

Yup..It works pretty good!