Thread: Anyone heading out on a float hunt?

Default Anyone heading out on a float hunt?

Folks have plans?
    My wife and I are heading out second week of September for 8 days. A bit early, but will make a great trip. Hopefully the Moose will cooperate. Busy designing and building a motor mount for the Levitator.
    Getting stoked!
    Nothing beats golden days on the river.
    P1050346.jpg
    Fighting gravity is never cheap.

I'll be flying out on 9/10 to begin a 12 day float in one of Larry's 'tators. It'll be my second hunt of the sort. The first trip ended in success in 2016 with a 63" bull taken by my partner. Can't wait to get back out there and give it another go! Good luck, Yukoner!

Leaving 9/13 for a NW caribou hunt. Never done a float hunt. Flying out my 18’ leopard cataraft for three hunters. Pretty excited!

You chaps have any luck? My buddy and I had a grand adventure but never fired a shot. I had my crosshairs on two potentially legal bulls, but I just couldn't be sure about it and had to pass. I already have a sequel planned for next year; I just need confirmation from my hunting partner (his wife's confirmation, really).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Define luck?
    Had great weather though, too nice. Warm and sunny. Saw a cow and calf. On the other hand, it was a fantastic camping trip and got into some of the best Grayling fishing Ive ever seen. Even some lakers in the deep pools.
    It was a weird fall. I spent 20 days out and saw one bull. He came behind camp just before dark, so I decided to wait until morning. He was still there at 4am, then gone.....
    P1060482.jpgP1060501.jpg
    Fighting gravity is never cheap.

On that basis, I'd rank my hunt as a lucky one, too.

We caught grayling every third cast, grilled a few up on the shore. It was my first taste of grayling, and I'll say that it ranks right up there with the best tasting fish I've ever had. Absolutely delicious.

I had two float hunts. I have rafted for many years, with countless hours, in many different waters... but I learned some things. Put my raft into a logjam on the first hunt, which up to that point was very successful. First time I have ever done that! 2 wolves, nice 5x4 moose, missed shot at big black bear. We lost most of the moose meat, the client's rifle, and a few other pieces of gear. But we salvaged our lives, health, most of our gear, and were able to dig the raft back out of the river and finish the float. The second hunt was late September, early October for brown bear. It was a 2 on 1, in 1 raft. The clients discovered in about 2 hours that they were not fit for the trip; both were elderly and a bit heavy, and crawling into a tent, then back out 3 or 4 times to pee in the night, about did them in. Add in rain and freezing temps at night, and having to hike into bear haunts instead of being able to float right into them, and the hunt got abbreviated. It was sad to see the realization dawn on them that their bodies weren't the same as they remembered them from hunts past. We still had a good time, but didn't find any game in our 3 days on the river. A raft handles much differently with human weight in bow and stern than it does with dead weight in the center of a raft. Since the weight was distributed over the full length of the raft, but heavier in bow and stern than center, and also higher up on the raft, it didn't rock over obstructions at all, and was much harder to pivot with the oars. We centered up on rocks that normally would be no problem, if the same amount of weight was mainly in the center of the raft. All in all, the floats were good; it is always good to be on the river, and even better to be home reminiscing about it!

Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post
    I had two float hunts. I have rafted for many years, with countless hours, in many different waters... but I learned some things. Put my raft into a logjam on the first hunt, which up to that point was very successful. First time I have ever done that! 2 wolves, nice 5x4 moose, missed shot at big black bear. We lost most of the moose meat, the client's rifle, and a few other pieces of gear. But we salvaged our lives, health, most of our gear, and were able to dig the raft back out of the river and finish the float. The second hunt was late September, early October for brown bear. It was a 2 on 1, in 1 raft. The clients discovered in about 2 hours that they were not fit for the trip; both were elderly and a bit heavy, and crawling into a tent, then back out 3 or 4 times to pee in the night, about did them in. Add in rain and freezing temps at night, and having to hike into bear haunts instead of being able to float right into them, and the hunt got abbreviated. It was sad to see the realization dawn on them that their bodies weren't the same as they remembered them from hunts past. We still had a good time, but didn't find any game in our 3 days on the river. A raft handles much differently with human weight in bow and stern than it does with dead weight in the center of a raft. Since the weight was distributed over the full length of the raft, but heavier in bow and stern than center, and also higher up on the raft, it didn't rock over obstructions at all, and was much harder to pivot with the oars. We centered up on rocks that normally would be no problem, if the same amount of weight was mainly in the center of the raft. All in all, the floats were good; it is always good to be on the river, and even better to be home reminiscing about it!
    Yeah, it's pretty sad when people don't take their health or fitness into consideration on a hunt like this. I've seen it a number of times myself. Believe it or not, I was with a guy, a pilot, that drew an extremely coveted goat tag that wouldn't allow himself to hike after a goat even after we landed almost right on top of them! Crazy!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post
    Yikes! Glad you made it out ok! Being relatively inexperienced in rafting, can you describe the circumstances that led to your tangle with the logjam? I've been on two float hunts now, and I feel like I've figured out the basic techniques to remain safe in most circumstances, but what you described is my worst fear of the river.

Thanks for your insights!