Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "WILD FIRE" any impact on your hunting/fishing.

Default "WILD FIRE" any impact on your hunting/fishing.

Has the wildfire activity effected your hunting/fishing....??? Any "Special" survival preparations.....???

Stay out of the woods if you have asthma.
    My child was inmate of the month at Mat-Su pre-trial Correctional facility.

I'm keeping an eye on the fire situation for sure. There was one small-ish fire close to where we hunt but I think the recent heavy rain north of the park knocked it down. For sure we will be a lot more firewise with the campfire this year. Might just be a no campfire year this year.

In view of what's happening on the KP, I think it might be time the State of AK sued the US Dept of the Interior over their wild fire management plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    In view of what's happening on the KP, I think it might be time the State of AK sued the US Dept of the Interior over their wild fire management plan.
    Just let it burn! Clearly if it wants to jump the highway she’s gonna do it! Especially when hotspots have been just smoldering on the hillside above jean lake for months.

One huge issue is that you can't glass. Long ago, was doing sheep hunts out of Anaktuvuk Pass, in 26A And for a month could only see the valley floor about 8 days out of a 10 day hunt because of the smoke.

The fires might make hunting this year a real challenge. But I would suspect that the next few years, these areas might be good for moose. There should be lots of new browse for the moose!
    One thing that a lot of people do not understand is that fire can be good to clean out old trash on the ground. As long as peoples homes and lives are spared, fire is good!

He some hazy conditions flying back from a sheep hunt a week ago, but nothing that got in our way. My wife has the Talkeetna Mountains caribou tag, though, and this smoke might create issues on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bearcat View Post
    One thing that a lot of people do not understand is that fire can be good to clean out old trash on the ground. As long as peoples homes and lives are spared, fire is good!
    Exactly! The area where it's been burning here on the KP "USED" to be one of the best moose areas around. But for many years now 15A has been about the worst. It definitely needed this fire to start a new regeneration of the forest. It seems like it's burned hot and deep which is what's needed to get it back to what it once was. Moose should be back in there in good numbers again in a few years. As long as no people or homes are in danger, I've been in total agreement as to how they've handled this fire. The only thing bad I can think about it didn't happen years ago, and that they didn't do enough controlled burns in the area when needed.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Good insight 👍

Good for the mushroom production also.

Quote Originally Posted by iyouktug View Post
    Just let it burn! Clearly if it wants to jump the highway she’s gonna do it! Especially when hotspots have been just smoldering on the hillside above jean lake for months.
    Right on! While I agree there is a time and place to let it burn the hotspots that were allowed to smolder and then take off from Jean Lake hillside were ridiculous! The entire river from Kenai Lake to Skilak is shut down until September 17, Russian River Campground and the Ferry all had to be evacuated and Cooper Landing is being threatened. Mismanagement in a big way.

The mismanagement for these fire came from years gone by, not the management from this year. Millions and millions of acres have been allowed, by mismanagement of stopping too many fires, to become overloaded with fuel. If these relatively minor fires were stopped in their infancy next year or the year after or the year after that they would have exploded and caused far more damage. Fire is a part of nature, it destroys but it also replenishes. To try and manage these fires in a year without rain and with record heat, we should all be happy that our homes haven't burned down and that countless lives haven't been lost. A couple smokey days this year will pay benefits for a generation or more.

Think of all of the morels and moose that will come from this in the years to come. Will the fire impact my hunting, you bet it will, it will be better than ever!
    “I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” Physicist ― Richard Feynman

No homes have been threatened and moose hunting will come back. No mismanagement this year....
    “I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. “ Fred Bear

Things are so dried up we can drive atv's and pickups places that would not be possible most years. I'm thinking some of the hunters from Anchorage and points north may avoid the Peninsula for a while. I'm o.k. with that.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Sure moose and mushrooms I get it.

BUT the hot spots left to smolder specifically on the hillside above upper Jean Lake, for weeks on end, were a clear and present danger to commerce, industry, transportation, power transmission and lives due to their immediate proximity to the road the power line and the Kenai River.
    Emergency helicopter extractions were made. The highway has been closed for large chunks of time costing untold millions in missed flights, ferry connections, lost work days cancelled reservations etc etc etc. The Kenai River is closed to all use. The economic impact is huge and mounting.

I could go on but I'll leave it at this: If you or I left that fire on the Jean Lake Hill to smolder and then flare, with all the consequences, the law would be looking to hold somebody accountable.

Your missing the whole point... fire is nature and not to be “managed”. If you or I left a campfire going, that’s a completely different situation, as it shows ignorance to your responsibility as a responsible campfire user. I fully support letting all these fires burn their hearts out. As has been stated, this is the result of previous years gross mismanagement of putting the fires out and not clearing all the dead bettle kill we have down here. You as a home owner are responsible for having a fire-wise property. Our wildlife resources need these fires, let them go. Or better yet, move yourself to California and complain about grass fires.

Quote Originally Posted by extrema View Post
    Sure moose and mushrooms I get it.

BUT the hot spots left to smolder specifically on the hillside above upper Jean Lake, for weeks on end, were a clear and present danger to commerce, industry, transportation, power transmission and lives due to their immediate proximity to the road the power line and the Kenai River.
    Emergency helicopter extractions were made. The highway has been closed for large chunks of time costing untold millions in missed flights, ferry connections, lost work days cancelled reservations etc etc etc. The Kenai River is closed to all use. The economic impact is huge and mounting.

I could go on but I'll leave it at this: If you or I left that fire on the Jean Lake Hill to smolder and then flare, with all the consequences, the law would be looking to hold somebody accountable.

I think they could be a little more lenient on the road closures as the 15 hour closure from a couple nights ago I think was a little much but as far as accountability I’m not sure who to go after there. It’s hard to get enough smoke jumpers to go around and keep these fires at bay when you only pay them 34k a year.

Quote Originally Posted by jonath View Post
    Your missing the whole point... fire is nature and not to be “managed”. If you or I left a campfire going, that’s a completely different situation, as it shows ignorance to your responsibility as a responsible campfire user. I fully support letting all these fires burn their hearts out. As has been stated, this is the result of previous years gross mismanagement of putting the fires out and not clearing all the dead bettle kill we have down here. You as a home owner are responsible for having a fire-wise property. Our wildlife resources need these fires, let them go. Or better yet, move yourself to California and complain about grass fires.
    Ha ha well that's pretty radical all right but you know what they say about opinions. Also you guys are wrong about them snuffing all the fires not sure even where you're getting that I can think of at least a dozen or so big fires over that last 30 years or so that burned a lot of ground from Kasilof north so that claim is all wet.

This area hasn’t burned since 64’.... and do you have any ****ing idea how many man hours and millions of dollars have been spent the last 5 years on the Kenai alone fighting fires? Ya them fires burned some land, but not anywhere near enough. There is a reason 15A used to have better moose hunting then 15C, and it was habitat. Swanson needs to burn all the way to nikiski with this fire, but they won’t let it.

Quote Originally Posted by extrema View Post
    Ha ha well that's pretty radical all right but you know what they say about opinions. Also you guys are wrong about them snuffing all the fires not sure even where you're getting that I can think of at least a dozen or so big fires over that last 30 years or so that burned a lot of ground from Kasilof north so that claim is all wet.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast