Thread: 1962 Winchester Feather Weight 30-06 ?

Default 1962 Winchester Feather Weight 30-06 ?

Iím wondering if 30-06 can be converted to.300 wm. I have this pre64 Winchester 06 that I donít want. What would
    make more sense?? Convert it to 300wm (if possible) just use the action put the barrel and stock on it I want or sell
    it? Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Every one will have different advice, but my take is don't screw up a classic. Sell it and get the 300M you want. if you convert it will have zero collectable worth, plus you will have the expense of the conversion.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveintheburbs View Post
    Every one will have different advice, but my take is don't screw up a classic. Sell it and get the 300M you want. if you convert it will have zero collectable worth, plus you will have the expense of the conversion.
    Indeed....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Tell ya what - Iíll give you a model 70 in .300 Win Mag and all you have to do is give me the Pre-64 in trade!

It can be done. If youíre sentimental to it, are dead - set on a 300 WM and donít mind the expense, then go for it. Old original Model 70ís are cool but youíre not modifying the Mona Lisa. Thereís lots of them out there that have been worked over that are desirable and very valuable.

In standard configuration youíll be limited on magazine length. Yes, it will work but youíll have to jump a mile to the lands. If you do it have it opened up to H&H length and modify the bolt stop and ejector. Also have to open the bolt face. 30/338 actually works better but youíre stuck handloading everything for it.

Thereís a fellow named Lee Christianson in WI who is a top notch Model 70 Ďsmith and a real solid fellow. You might look him up if you decide to do it. He may talk you out of it, but if he doesnít his work is excellent.

Thanks for the information.... Iíll just probably sell it and buy what I want, now to figure out what itís worth.