Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Valdez Silvers

Default Valdez Silvers

They are being caught in the port now. Even got a nice 18# White King yesterday.

Watch the weather down here. A skiff overturned in the Narrows yesterday. One person was rescued by the Coast Guard but the other was deceased and found by the AK Widlife Trooper. No one knows where the skiff is. Winds were to 39 knots and seas 7 feet...… not conditions to be out there. No information on names.

Hillary moved to NY and I moved out.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    They are being caught in the port now. Even got a nice 18# White King yesterday.

Watch the weather down here. A skiff overturned in the Narrows yesterday. One person was rescued by the Coast Guard but the other was deceased and found by the AK Widlife Trooper. No one knows where the skiff is. Winds were to 39 knots and seas 7 feet...… not conditions to be out there. No information on names.
    Does that include fish from shore? I'm supposed to be coming down next week but unless there are catchable fish from shore there's not much point and I am considering putting it off a week. Not sure I can coordinate all the changes necessary at this late date, though.

Thanks, Dave. I almost asked for an update yesterday but decided to hold off another day or two, figuring that port reports usually begin showing up the third week of August. I knew it wouldn't be long. My wife and I have a couple friends who participate in the women's silver derby and they mentioned silvers caught off of AP at that time. We are headed down this Friday for our annual "fun trip"!!! Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Raffpappy View Post
    Thanks, Dave. I almost asked for an update yesterday but decided to hold off another day or two, figuring that port reports usually begin showing up the third week of August. I knew it wouldn't be long. My wife and I have a couple friends who participate in the women's silver derby and they mentioned silvers caught off of AP at that time. We are headed down this Friday for our annual "fun trip"!!! Thanks again!
    Good to hear that they've been caught at AP. I'll be there next Tuesday through the week and possibly weekend depending on how it goes. Don't think it'd be practical at this point to try to replan the whole trip, so I'm sticking with next week and hoping for fish!

Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post
    Good to hear that they've been caught at AP. I'll be there next Tuesday through the week and possibly weekend depending on how it goes. Don't think it'd be practical at this point to try to replan the whole trip, so I'm sticking with next week and hoping for fish!
    Looks like with this report I will leave work at 3 and at least get to Tok and get the Valdez Saturday mid morning to get the afternoon bite.

I know that there are silvers at Allison. May have to wade thru the pinks as there are tons of them still here. Many of the spawning streams are really warm or dried up completely. AND, for some reason we getting a TON of Chums this year.

Sorry to hear this Dave. Where they locals, Alaskans, tourists?
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Sorry to hear this Dave. Where they locals, Alaskans, tourists?
    No information anywhere yet. Trooper report was vague. They might be waiting to contact next of kin is my guess.

No information anywhere yet. Trooper report was vague. They might be waiting to contact next of kin is my guess.
    they were from the valley. Small bayliner from what I heard. The guy that survived left the harbor in a survival suit, that tells you about the sea conditions. Be safe people, not all days are made for fishing.

It is as if the incident did not happen. No Coast Guard report. Only minimal trooper report. Nothing in ADN or Frontiersman in Wasilla.

Fished today from Goose all the way into the Valdez Port. Goose island had a little action but the main run seems to have moved through. Jack Bay was semi productive, we netted 6 in 3-4 hours. Lots of boats near gold creek in the Valdez Port, some were landing a few fish but the winds were pretty high today so it was a battle. Heard rumors of anglers landing a couple from shore outside the harbor and Allison point. It should heat up a bit in the port over the next week.

We went out to Goose Island today. Picked up 4 nice sliver and a couple of small halibut. Good day to be in the water.

Quote Originally Posted by bayman099 View Post
    Looks like with this report I will leave work at 3 and at least get to Tok and get the Valdez Saturday mid morning to get the afternoon bite.
    Where are you coming from? Any silvers from shore yet?

I reconned the small boat harbor and town areas yesterday. Very few people fishing from the banks, but I did see a couple jumpers and a couple other cruiser silvers. Things were quite windy in town so I took a drive wet my first line at Allison Point last night. Several dozen cars off Dayville Road, always a good indicator, but arrived to waves crashing on the rocks....never a good sign, as I've seen windy/wavy conditions kill many Valdez silver bites. I fished 90 minutes at the top of the tide and drew my first opening day skunk in several years. That was disconcerting, and I didn't see a silver caught between a dozen anglers in my immediate area. And of course there are still lots of pinks to contend with.

I did talk to one of the local fish cutters, who told me his business has been steadily picking up on a daily. And based on my previous experience I have no doubts things will pick up as we head towards Labor Day.

Trolled for 5 hours yesterday. Two small ones with net damage, 2 lings (released), 1 quillback (released), 1 pink. Sad day.
    Trolled Thursday 5-6 hours. Two silvers and 1 chum.
    Trolled Wed. nothing.
    Trolled Tuesday. Nothing.
    Trolled Monday. 6 hours. Nothing.

Moral of the story, don't troll any more I guess. I did talk to one guide yesterday and he picked up 2 at Potato Pt. and then went south and picked up 4 more. Things are weird. I have been running the sonar (wide screen) while driving and I do see fish at 150-300 feet down. The hatchery finally managed their egg take goal so I be the seiners will be in the port soon.

Trolled for 5 hours yesterday. Two small ones with net damage, 2 lings (released), 1 quillback (released), 1 pink. Sad day.
    Trolled Thursday 5-6 hours. Two silvers and 1 chum.
    Trolled Wed. nothing.
    Trolled Tuesday. Nothing.
    Trolled Monday. 6 hours. Nothing.

Moral of the story, don't troll any more I guess. I did talk to one guide yesterday and he picked up 2 at Potato Pt. and then went south and picked up 4 more. Things are weird. I have been running the sonar (wide screen) while driving and I do see fish at 150-300 feet down. The hatchery finally managed their egg take goal so I be the seiners will be in the port soon.
    Things are weird.... Down here on one of the very popular rivers, the silvers are there but won't hit a thing. I'm guessing the water is just too warm?
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I was taking to a seiner captain yesterday. He says the fishing has not been good. Everyone is trolling 100-120' down. I imagine that the seiners nets are just not reaching the fish. The fish hatchery here just reached their egg harvest goal of pinks. It is an interesting year for sure.

I was taking to a seiner captain yesterday. He says the fishing has not been good. Everyone is trolling 100-120' down. I imagine that the seiners nets are just not reaching the fish. The fish hatchery here just reached their egg harvest goal of pinks. It is an interesting year for sure.
    Well what do you think? Maybe give it another week to 10 days?

Quote Originally Posted by iyouktug View Post
    Well what do you think? Maybe give it another week to 10 days?
    I think the weather/water temperature is going to determine that.

A bit more activity on AP this morning. Mostly dead calm conditions. A decent silver bite from about 8:30 until 9:30 or so, well before high tide. Very little activity afterwards, with things going dead thru high tide and into outgoing, which was different. A gal to our left had a hot rod, going 4-for-4 while her husband manned the net, graciously accepting his skunking! A guy to our right had 4 also. I went 1-for-2, with many other onesies and twosies up and down the banks for other anglers. Very little surface activity but just enough fish to keep folk's interest.

Still, it seems slow compared to past year's overall activity.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast