Thread: Interior wall sheathing

Default Interior wall sheathing

I’m looking for something for the walls on my cabin. It sounds as though sheet rock is out of the question because it’s a coastal property and I don’t want to deal with mold. I plan to put tongue and groove on the ceilings but my wife would like the walls to be a light color, preferably not wood. Any suggestions…
    <)))><
    Live to fish, fish to live...

Some type of prefinished paneling? There are some composites but a lot are wood, like bead board and such made out of MDF. Bead board is nice but you'll probably end up painting it which is what you may be wanting to get away from? There's FRP too, pretty bullet proof but not very cozy....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Any idea if FRP is available local to the valley/Anchorage?
    <)))><
    Live to fish, fish to live...

SBS carries it, and I think I've seen it at Home Depot too.....

I taped, mudded, and textured OSB. No one can tell. I kept it rough side in, so it soaked up a lot of mud to smooth it out, but it worked.

I used OSB since hauling sheetrock behind a wheeler in a swamp is a recipe for disaster.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by Akheloce View Post
    I taped, mudded, and textured OSB. No one can tell. I kept it rough side in, so it soaked up a lot of mud to smooth it out, but it worked.
    Ha! I've seen people use osb on interior walls too....flake side out and just varnish it. He also did kitchen cabinets that way too!

I pre-painted a/c plywood at home and ran it horizontally along the bottom of the wall, then went T&G up the rest of the way to match up with an existing T&G ceiling. Looks good, easy to change the color if desired at some point, and 4x8 sheets cover a lot of wall in a hurry.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Ha! I've seen people use osb on interior walls too....flake side out and just varnish it. He also did kitchen cabinets that way too!
    I think I rented a cabin from that guy once.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

I tried textured osb and didn't care for it. Ended up pre-painting soffit board and hauling it in on my snowmachine then just caulk the seems and screw holes.
    Attached Images Attached Images

my son had a place and in basement wiht real dark panneling and it made the place feel so dark. We just washed them down, skim coated with drywall mud ( a few times esp where groves were) and then did a sponge texture over. Looked like drywall, but would not have the moisture issues.
    Gonna do something similar in the garage we are building now, that has 10 foot walls. First 23 inches of 1/2 cdx ( held 1 inch off floor) then drywall rest of way up. Then that lower approx. 2 feet we don't have to worry about rotting so much with moisture coming off the slab or moisture brought in by vehicles....and can wash the floor down after we butcher

Quote Originally Posted by 375matt View Post
    I tried textured osb and didn't care for it. Ended up pre-painting soffit board and hauling it in on my snowmachine then just caulk the seems and screw holes.
    Your cabinets and counter are very nice!

I used CDX plywood in the ceiling of my loft. I don't see any problem with it. I didn't want to use sheet rock either. Too heavy, messy, and breaks too easily. If you don't like the look of plywood you can always paint it or cover it with something else later on.