Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: vacum pack

Quote Originally Posted by DucksAndDogs View Post
    Do you have a model model number or an equivalent model number for whatís currently available? I think I want to go ahead and pick one of them up and want some real life experience vs. paid reviews online.
    I believe itís an SVP20 or maybe 40. It must weigh 150 pounds. We use some folks in WA for service and bags. Vacupack.com I think it is.

We have a vp210.
    Just used it again last night to vacuum seal some cabbages for the freezer.
    Alaska butcher supply told me the vp210 with the oil less pump would not do the retort pouches for canning salmon.
    But my online research stated otherwise and I was able to use the retort pouches with it anyway and it worked out great.
    I just had to increase the seal time until it sealed the pouches well.
    I know I paid less than a thousand for this unit.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by DucksAndDogs View Post
    Iíll go take a look. Do you happen to know if thatís one of the models theyíll rent out? Planning to be putting some stuff in the freezer on Tuesday and wouldnít mind trying one out...
    If itís anything like ours, make sure the rental includes a hand truck. Itís a heavy SOB.

We also have the VP215 from Costco. I don't think I'll ever need to buy another one, but if I did I'd buy the same one again.
    "Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I still get to kill something." --Ron Swanson

Had and went through 2 foodsavers, moved to the vacmaster 120(dry pump) ran 2 k bags through that one. Foodsaver machines coasted 80 each, bags pre cut for foodsaver run 50 cents(yes rolls are cheaper then precuts). The basic vacmaster ran me around 500, 2000 bags ran me 166(78 per 1000)
    Total for a few years with each(4 years) 160 + 1000 is 1160 for the food savers. 500 + 166 is 670 or so.
    I've used the vacmaster, and the mini pac, I'm glad I tried the vacmaster and it got me in the chamber sealer game.
    The mini Pac is a huge step up in speed. 2-3 cycles per minute vs one. And the vacuum the minis pull is better(I've used the 215 vs the mvs31).

I would rent one if your thinking about it.

We lucked out and our first Foodsaver lasted for about 4-5 years of very heavy use. But when that died I switched to the VP215 (oil compressor chamber vac) and it was the best decision I ever made. As others have said it does a better job at vacuuming and sealing, it does liquids effortlessly and the cost of the bags is pennies compared to Foodsaver bags.

Our standard bag is the 8x10 which I pick up at Costco in a mega box that lasts me at least 2 years. But for all other sizes I hit AK Butcher Supply which is as good as others have pointed out. Very courteous and helpful and they have everything you need.

I just tried my first attempt at retort canning (courtesy of a couple free bags from AK Butcher Supply) with some smoked salmon and I'm now a huge fan. I had to increase the seal time to 5 seconds to create a secure seal but that was the only change I had to make to the vaccum sealer. 10 lbs for 90 minutes in the pressure cooker. I'm so happy with the results I'll be stopping by AK Butcher Supply for more retort bags and I'll save my mason jars for pickling.

I've attached a few pics of how I used the jars of canned salmon to keep the bags from expanding/exploding and the final product.

Attachment 98340Attachment 98341

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    One-trick a friend of mine taught me that works well for me is this:
    I take a red salmon fillet with the skin on and make a cut in the center of the fillet down to the skin leaving the skin intact.
    I then pick it up folding the filet in half with the meat side out and vacuum seal it.
    When it comes out of the bag I simply unfold it put my seasonings on it and put it on the barbecue grill and you would never know that it was not a complete filet when it is presented at the table.
    This is exactly how we've been doing it for years and it works great. I don't know how many of the Food Saver machines we trashed before buying the chamber machine from Alaska Butcher Supply. My wife and I use it and our two boys and their families use it for all our game. We usually do about 90 reds every year and a couple moose and a caribou or two. What a relief to no longer have to use a couple or three machines and still sit around waiting for them to cool down.

We have the MVS31x and couldn't be happier. Just remember to change the oil annually. Once you upgrade, you will never regret it.

This is of course JMHO!
    Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheeser View Post
    We lucked out and our first Foodsaver lasted for about 4-5 years of very heavy use. But when that died I switched to the VP215 (oil compressor chamber vac) and it was the best decision I ever made. As others have said it does a better job at vacuuming and sealing, it does liquids effortlessly and the cost of the bags is pennies compared to Foodsaver bags.

Our standard bag is the 8x10 which I pick up at Costco in a mega box that lasts me at least 2 years. But for all other sizes I hit AK Butcher Supply which is as good as others have pointed out. Very courteous and helpful and they have everything you need.

I just tried my first attempt at retort canning (courtesy of a couple free bags from AK Butcher Supply) with some smoked salmon and I'm now a huge fan. I had to increase the seal time to 5 seconds to create a secure seal but that was the only change I had to make to the vaccum sealer. 10 lbs for 90 minutes in the pressure cooker. I'm so happy with the results I'll be stopping by AK Butcher Supply for more retort bags and I'll save my mason jars for pickling.

I've attached a few pics of how I used the jars of canned salmon to keep the bags from expanding/exploding and the final product.

Attachment 98340Attachment 98341
    Sorry Pics don't work for me. Love to see how you do it.

Dan.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Iron View Post
    Sorry Pics don't work for me. Love to see how you do it.

Dan.
    I noticed the pics were there then when I went back the links were somehow broken. I'll give it another try.

Attachment 98344
    Attachment 98345

Still no pix.

Quote Originally Posted by akgriz View Post
    Still no pix.
    When I click on the links I'm seeing the pics. If anyone has any idea why some aren't seeing the pics I'm all ears.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123