Thread: Small munsterlander info?

Supporting Member greyinggrayling's Avatar

Default Small munsterlander info?

Hi all -
    I am starting the hunt for a new bird dog. Grouse/ptarmigan/ducks.
    Looking at the small munsterlander. I see there are several breeders when I do a Google search and also looking on the SM Club site, but I do not know anything about the bloodlines. Do you know of a breeder who produces good SM pups and do you feel comfortable making a recommendation? Alaska or lower 48, does not matter where breeder is located.
    I am not looking to get a pup until next spring or summer, but getting on a wait list now would probably be a good idea.
    i appreciate any insite you are willing to share, especially if you have one of these dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by greyinggrayling View Post
    Hi all -
    I am starting the hunt for a new bird dog. Grouse/ptarmigan/ducks.
    Looking at the small munsterlander. I see there are several breeders when I do a Google search and also looking on the SM Club site, but I do not know anything about the bloodlines. Do you know of a breeder who produces good SM pups and do you feel comfortable making a recommendation? Alaska or lower 48, does not matter where breeder is located.
    I am not looking to get a pup until next spring or summer, but getting on a wait list now would probably be a good idea.
    i appreciate any insite you are willing to share, especially if you have one of these dogs.
    You might want to send a pm to "cod" on this forum. He has two munsterlanders and may be able to help you out....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    You might want to send a pm to "cod" on this forum. He has two munsterlanders and may be able to help you out....
    My Munsters are LARGE Munsterlanders. OP is searching for Small Munsterlanders. Iím told Smalls are actually a separate breed apart from Large. I donít know the exact details on that statement but I know the Smalls are indeed, smaller than the Large Munsters. They are liver and white as opposed to black and white. Beyond that, I donít know much about Small Munsters.
    Iím more than happy to discuss the fabulous Large Munsters with anyone however.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!
    WWG1WGA! QANON

Quote Originally Posted by cod View Post
    My Munsters are LARGE Munsterlanders. OP is searching for Small Munsterlanders.
    I realize that....just thought you might have connections with the people you deal with that might possibly have some knowledge about the small ones.

I appreciate the effort. Yes smalls are a different breed than large. But people up here who run in bird dog circles may know someone who has one?
    I have checked the NAVHDA site as well, will keep researching.

Quote Originally Posted by greyinggrayling View Post
    I appreciate the effort. Yes smalls are a different breed than large. But people up here who run in bird dog circles may know someone who has one?
    I have checked the NAVHDA site as well, will keep researching.
    Curious as to why you want a small one....only want to hunt upland game perhaps?

The only exposure Iíve had with Small Munsters Iíve had anywhere is seeing some pics of one that a fella posted on FB where he was training one. I believe it was a younger dog and he trained it this past spring. He trains dogs professionally and he may be able to pass on some info to you about that dogís owner or info that may help you. ( No doubt tho, this guy will try to talk u into a Drathaar ).
    The guys name is Don and his number is 227-4261. Hope this helps some. Itís the only info I can think of.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!
    WWG1WGA! QANON

The smalls will duck hunt also. They are versatile hunters like the large munsterlanders.
    The small size is definitely the main attraction as it will be an inside dog and my house is small.
    I have also considered the Drathaar and the pudelpointer but they are also larger dogs.

There are some folks here in Fairbanks with small Munsterlanders. Iím sure there are some in Anchorage. There really arenít enough of them around for me to know anything about bloodlines. I have also seen some at the German JGHV tests. This is the club that uses the German tests and registers dogs through the FCI: https://www.klm-gna.org/ There are also NAVHDA registered Small Munsterlanders and perhaps other organizations. A little research into the breed club organizations and their goals could narrow your choices if you align philosophically with a particular group.

The small Munsterlanders that I have been around weíre all excellent upland dogs with owners that had exposed them to birds and obedience training. I have not been around any that were owned by serious waterfowlers but I imagine they have the tools to do the job.

The best thing you can do is meet the parents and hunt behind them in my opinion. Good luck in your search.

-Tom

The only thing Small and Large Munsterlanders have in common is the region in Germany that the breeds were developed.

There are several very nice small munsterlanders that are active in the Alaska-Yukon Chapter, and at least 3 in the Anchorage/Wasilla area. If you join the Alaska-Yukon NAVHDA facebook group and post on there I am confident that you'll get the exact info you are looking for. You'll also likely be able to set up a time to meet some SM's in person. https://www.facebook.com/groups/1521730024786136/

Or you could come take a look at my pudelpointer and I'll happily try to change your mind!

Jim Julson, Julson Kennels, in South Dakota is a long time breeder of small munsterlanders.