Thread: Lawn/brush mower

Default Lawn/brush mower

We usually don't visit our (interior AK) property until late summer and need to mow knee-high grass and waist-high fireweed. It really only gets one mow a year (and we have to mow it or the bugs are crazy while we're there). Our current mower is getting tired and isn't up to the task anymore (it was never really adequate). Any recommendations for what we should look at? We don't really need a hardcore "brush mower", we just need a lawn mower on steroids. Not worried about bagging, side discharge or mulch only.

Husquvarna, Honda, other? Specific model recommendations would be very helpful. Preferably, something available in Fairbanks or Anchorage.
    "Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I still get to kill something." --Ron Swanson

I don't know if what you are looking for exists. I own an equipment rental business and I've looked for them myself to no satisfaction. The units I rent, Billy Goat, are in the $3000+ range to purchase. You can get a DR lighter duty one for about half that. Honestly, if I was only doing it once a year I'd rent a high weed mower, not buy one.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Something like this should work with the heavy cord
    https://www.drpower.com/power-equipm...remier-new.axd and get the quick lock head!
    https://www.drpower.com/power-equipm...--web-only.axd with the 225-mil Sawtooth cord bulk pack.
    I have one and it works!
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"
    2018 12' Moto Jet "River Pup"

I was lucky enough to find a used DR Brushmower w the blades instead of the strings. A most awesome buy at just north of $600. Makes mincemeat out of weeds and brush up to at least an inch a round. Always starts easily even after it sits for a couple years. Rugged metal unit with nothing cheap or parts that can break easily. The thing is a beast but has power forward wheels. I actually enjoy the chance to use it. I’ve owned it now for 13 years and it looks just the same as when I bought it. I’m sure I could still get $600 for it too. Ive never had to service it. It just goes. You wouldn’t be disappointed.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!
    WWG1WGA! QANON

I am also interested in what others are using. Right now I use a stihl brush cutter and it does a good job but takes me quite a while to cut all of the grass and more seems to grow every year. I also only cut it 2-3 times a year so it can get pretty tall. I was wondering of those walk behind string mowers would speed up the process? I really don't want to rent one because it would be a hassle to pick up and return after a few days. That DR one Music Man linked looks pretty good. Does anyone in southcentral sell those or is that a mail order thing? I also see the box stores carry other brands as well. What are the features to look for?

Craig Taylor carries DR chippers so might check with them.

We use a trimmer mower and it makes quick work of tall grass and weeds. The one we have is a Troy-bilt and is a 5hp, I see that there are a lot similar almost identical under different brand names - cub cadet, husqvarna, remington...
    if your only cutting tall grass and weeds this might work for you. If your cutting brush also then you’d probably needs something like others mentioned

I've had a DR brush mower for about 15 years. The thing just keeps running with not a lot of maintenance and will take down some pretty gnarly stuff, including small trees and dense vines. I've used something along the lines of a Stihl brush cutter at times in the past and it did the job but it's just slow going. Might not be bad if you're only mowing a modest area once or twice/year. I have friends who've got one of the DR string mowers on wheels and those cut a narrower path but will also take down some tough stuff, plus they can get in closer to fences and walls. With the brush cutter I often end up tidying up afterwards with a weed whacker.
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

My hunting property in NY I use a 12 h.p. DR to cut stuff up to 2". It can do more if you take it easy. They machine is a beast. Maintenance is minimal. Multiflora rose is easily cut. We just bought a bigger tow behind to do food plots that I have not seen yet. My son says it has saved him a tremendous mount of time cutting the waist high grasses.

Hillary moved to NY and I moved out.

There is a DR brush mower on CL right now