Thread: In search of Ptarmigan Hunting Guide

Default In search of Ptarmigan Hunting Guide

Looking for recommendations on a Ptarmigan hunting guide, we are located in Anchorage. Thanks in advance for any help.

Mark

The only one I know is All Alaska Outdoor Lodge out of Soldotna. Fly out, top-notch. A buddy of mine will be guiding for them in early September with his three English Setters.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McCann View Post
    The only one I know is All Alaska Outdoor Lodge out of Soldotna. Fly out, top-notch. A buddy of mine will be guiding for them in early September with his three English Setters.
    Oh I see, I totally read that differently. When he said guide, I thought he was asking for a reference (information) guide, not an actual guide (person). My bad. I have never heard of anyone guiding people for small game. I know when I was an assistant guide, I used to occasionally take my clients for ptarmigan after they filled their sheep and caribou tags. But I've never heard of anyone specifically guiding someone for ptarmigan.

Supporting Member greyinggrayling's Avatar

Alpine Creek Lodge on Denali Highway. Go stay a couple of nights, have them guide you for ptarmigan. Member name here is denalihunter, you can PM him for more info.

Thanks greyinggrayling! Yes, my son and I do guided ptarmigan hunts from August 10th though February 15th. We'll chase willow, rocks and white tailed ptarmigan. Starting in late October we switch from walking/ATV over to snow machines and walking. Also includes hunting spruce grouse and sharp tails. Bringing your own dog is welcome.

Good luck with whatever you choose. Nothing better than fall bird hunting.
    Claude
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

The family stayed with them 2 winters ago, great experience and really loved it but the 2 nights we were there we pretty much stayed in the lodge due to a winter storm. The plan is to head that way again this year, hoping for better weather this time.