Thread: Prepping for archery moose gets harder every year. Old man problems.

Default Prepping for archery moose gets harder every year. Old man problems.

Tried drawing my bow back a few weeks ago. Couldn't do it. (getting better) Now I'm not a whimp. Just old. Oh, and the bow is cranked up to 85 pounds. No problem shooting clean through a bull moose. Gets a little harder every year though. I've taken 19 moose with my bow. Hope I drill number 20 real soon. But let me say this. It might be hard yarding that string back here at the house, but when I'm within spitting distance of a bull, I hardy notice the draw. Wish me luck.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    Tried drawing my bow back a few weeks ago. Couldn't do it. (getting better) Now I'm not a whimp. Just old. Oh, and the bow is cranked up to 85 pounds. No problem shooting clean through a bull moose. Gets a little harder every year though. I've taken 19 moose with my bow. Hope I drill number 20 real soon. But let me say this. It might be hard yarding that string back here at the house, but when I'm within spitting distance of a bull, I hardy notice the draw. Wish me luck.
    Why not back off on that draw weight a little? Fred Asbell says there ain't a critter around that can't be killed by a 45# recurve....lol. Good luck on #20 buddy!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Why not back off on that draw weight a little? Fred Asbell says there ain't a critter around that can't be killed by a 45# recurve....lol. Good luck on #20 buddy!
    Cause I like pass through shots. Moose are big. Yeah, you can kill a deer with a 45# recurve. BTDT. I'm not trying that on a moose, and in fact that would be against the regulations.

I haven’t killed 19 moose with a bow yet but I’ve had pass throughs with a 58# recurve. My buddy would have had a pass though with a 54# longbow had it didn’t hit the offside front leg. Still never went farther than 25 yards after the shot. I’ve shot an 85# bow in the past and realized a long time ago after both shoulder surgeries that it’s not necessary. A 55# bow will kill anything walking up here if you put the arrow in the basket with a sharp cut to point head and a heavy arrow. You may need to limit your range but you’ll have a better chance at killing more moose in the future because you won’t destroy your shoulders.

Cause I like pass through shots. Moose are big. Yeah, you can kill a deer with a 45# recurve. BTDT. I'm not trying that on a moose, and in fact that would be against the regulations.
    I wasn't suggesting you shoot at 45#s, just to back off a little so you are more comfortable. I know you have to have at least a certain weight arrow, but what is the minimum draw weight for the bow per regs??

Man 85# is a bit overkill if you ask me. Iíve taken Bison, Musk Ox and moose all with a 60lb bow. Iíd rather keep my shoulders in good health for the long term which will allow me to bowhunt many more years. Good luck on #20!

We have been scoping out some bulls lately. Haven't seen any legal ones. Plenty of tweeners. No spikes, no big boys, and no 3 brown tine fellows.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Muche View Post
    Man 85# is a bit overkill if you ask me. Iíve taken Bison, Musk Ox and moose all with a 60lb bow. Iíd rather keep my shoulders in good health for the long term which will allow me to bowhunt many more years. Good luck on #20!
    My shoulders are o.k. I'm just weak. (lol) 85# will kill 'em graveyard dead. I'm still using aluminum shafts. My son has his bow tuned for a little lighter draw and he is using carbon shafts. He kills them just as dead as I do. I just haven't made the switch to carbon. In fact I still shoot old school Sattelite Aero razor insert broadheads. 4 blade. 120 grain. I've been killing stuff with those since the 70's.
    My old man (93 y.o. this fall) is still bow hunting in another state. But due to his age he is allowed to now use a crossbow. He has been nailing deer and elk with it for the past few years. He had a pace maker put in a few years ago and afterwards the doc told him he couldn't shoot high power rifles due to him being a lefty and would shoulder the gun on the side where the battery pack is. Dad asked the doc if he could have put that on the right side instead. Yes, he could have. Old man was pissed when he found that out. Oh well, he just uses his 9422 in .22 Magnum to pick them off in the head. Old man problems and solutions. I'm glad he is till enjoying the hunt and eating that healthy venison.

My old man (93 y.o. this fall) is still bow hunting in another state. But due to his age he is allowed to now use a crossbow.
    That's fantastic!

Dang I wish I could pull 85#, I'm only 37 and due to shoulder injury and a surgery that didn't go as well as hoped i am only able to shoot 60 and had to modify my draw to even do that. Only way I can draw my bow is to place it on my thigh and pull up with my draw arm then come up to shooting position. Not quite as stealthy but still effective. If i try to draw like a normal person my shoulder pops out of socket on my bow arm and I hit myself in the face with the bow.

Quote Originally Posted by 0321Tony View Post
    Dang I wish I could pull 85#, I'm only 37 and due to shoulder injury and a surgery that didn't go as well as hoped i am only able to shoot 60 and had to modify my draw to even do that. Only way I can draw my bow is to place it on my thigh and pull up with my draw arm then come up to shooting position. Not quite as stealthy but still effective. If i try to draw like a normal person my shoulder pops out of socket on my bow arm and I hit myself in the face with the bow.
    It's great that you're still out there doing it. Are you able to pop it back in on your own when it goes out?

Quote Originally Posted by 0321Tony View Post
    I didn't know that Tony! I don't think you ever mentioned it. I was sure glad my shoulder injury still allowed me to shoot the scattergun after awhile. Does that mean you won't be shooting those 3.5" mags when we're in the blind?....lol. Can't remember if you ever did anyway?

It's great that you're still out there doing it. Are you able to pop it back in on your own when it goes out?
    It's so loose that it pops out then goes back in on its own thankfully, it's just good and sore for a few days. I have loose tendons on that side and it's allowed my shoulder to slide around so much that it has ground all the cartalige out of it so it's pretty much bone on bone. I was told the only reason they didn't replace it when I had my surgery a few years back was because of my age. I'm planning on getting it replaced soon though, hard part about deciding when to do it is its really gonna screw up my hunting for a while.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    I didn't know that Tony! I don't think you ever mentioned it. I was sure glad my shoulder injury still allowed me to shoot the scattergun after awhile. Does that mean you won't be shooting those 3.5" mags when we're in the blind?....lol. Can't remember if you ever did anyway?
    Luckily it's my left side and I am right hand shooter so no issues shooting. I had to get the first surgery when the bone spurs were getting so bad they were getting in the way of raising the gun. After surgery I could at least raise the gun again but it made a lot of things worse.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk