Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Floor Insulation/vapor barrier Question

Quote Originally Posted by cdubbin View Post
    Alaska has the highest average relative humidity of any state in the nation...we're #1!
    RH is well... relative... amazingly enough Fairbanks can have a RH in the 90's on a -40 day, however bring that same air inside and its drier than a popcorn fart.... Cold air doesn't hold much moisture so we can brag we have a high RH... still its a empty boast... LOL
    “We have digressed from a Nation of Revolutionaries to a country of entitlements"

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Akgramps again."
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Quote Originally Posted by Akgramps View Post
    RH is well... relative... amazingly enough Fairbanks can have a RH in the 90's on a -40 day, however bring that same air inside and its drier than a popcorn fart.... Cold air doesn't hold much moisture so we can brag we have a high RH... still its a empty boast... LOL

Suspect quote, but still sums it up nicely....our understanding of how these processes relate to modern construction materials and techniques is imperfect at best....regardless of keyboard experts...
    "– Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Just wanted to stop in and say thanks to everyone. Ended up doing kraft-faced insulation between the 2x6s with 2” closed cell foam board over that as a thermal barrier then covered it all in hardware cloth. Just kicked the new heater on tonight so we will see how she does.

Thanks again!
    Jon
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Patsfan54 View Post
    Buildings are built for people, people exhale moisture with each and every breath, our bodies exude it as well. Doesn't take much science to out-science those who just want to argue a ridiculous point that has nothing to do with the original post.

If you want to know how to build a building that is vapor tight, AOD is apparently the place to go. From everything I've ever read and experienced, buildings need to "breathe". The way I understand it floors are not the place to install a vapor barrier, walls and roofs are...but then I don't build buildings for a living, maybe some of those commenting here do?

Go make t visqueen tipi without a floor, chuck a wood stove in it and see what happens...

Quote Originally Posted by Troy Sharp View Post
    Go make t visqueen tipi without a floor, chuck a wood stove in it and see what happens...
    I'm not exactly sure that a visqueen tipi on bare ground would count as a building.
    “I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” Physicist ― Richard Feynman

Quote Originally Posted by Patsfan54 View Post
    I'm not exactly sure that a visqueen tipi on bare ground would count as a building.
    In AK that's called a starter home...
    "– Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

In AK that's called a starter home...
    Starter hell.....people live for years and years in not much more than that. Which is always nice when you're trying to build a nice house with those all around. Location, location, location!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

But it has to have a blue tarp over it to be truely Alaskan!
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"
    2018 12' Moto Jet "River Pup"

Suspect quote, but still sums it up nicely....our understanding of how these processes relate to modern construction materials and techniques is imperfect at best....regardless of keyboard experts...
    you said a mouthful there.....!
    “We have digressed from a Nation of Revolutionaries to a country of entitlements"

Quote Originally Posted by Music Man View Post
    But it has to have a blue tarp over it to be truely Alaskan!
    And Tyvek siding.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Your 8mm rubber floor covering will serve as a pretty good vapor barrier for most of the field. You'll only leak moisture around the edges and unsealed seams. Forego the VB and put your money/effort into doing a good job on insulation and keeping the ****ed rodents out of it. Can't overstate the importance of keeping the rodents out of your insulation cavities! Hardware cloth would be my choice too...just be sure to inspect it occasionally, especially if you have squirrels in your area. They'll chew right through hardware cloth if motivated. (obviously, they'll get through/around/behind/underneath plywood too, but it's easier to monitor for and repair any damage with hardware cloth. If they get inside plywood you'll have a hell of a time opening things up to fix the insulation damage).
    I used Rockwool insulation as it's rodent proof and also holds it's insulation value if it gets wet.
    It's also fire proof which was a big factor for me.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    And Tyvek siding.
    At least the Tyvek siding folk were thinking a little. Much better than seeing bare OSB swollen to three times it's thickness!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12