Thread: A new "old" 8X57...

Default A new "old" 8X57...

I have acquired a 1950's (early) vintage, FN Mauser action, made in Sweden by Husqvarna in 8X57 S. With a .323" bore. I was really in the market for an 8X60, and have found two FN actioned '50's vintage Sako's but both were .318" and about twice the money. I really didn't want to mess with the .318" bullets even though Hawk and Woodleigh both make good ones. The brass and many bullets are more available for the .323" bore. The rifle new brass and a couple boxes of bullets are all soon on their way.

This rifle like all the 1948 to about 1954 FN Mausers is a true "C" collar breach. This of course is the more desirable feature and a complaint of later FN Mauser actions. FN actions after 1948 no longer used the military receiver with the thumb cut out in the left receiver wall, or the commonly called "stripper clip, thumb cut".

This era of FN actions also use the Mauser two position safety located on the left side where the thumb naturally rests when in the shooting grip. It also use the Mauser trigger. This mixed blessing trigger is very reliable and strong but not given to the best of trigger feel (pull). That however is a simple matter to fix with a file and a white Arkansas stone, a strategicly placed hole and length of drill rod. Later this trigger was replaced with the Sako trigger when they began making actions for Sako. I have a couple of FN made in Belgium rifles like this, one 30-06 and one in 9.3x62, both made in 1950. I'm always lookin for more and would like to find a 7x57 as well.

This Husky is stamped made in Sweden and is all original with plugged holes for the scan type of side mount for a scope. Not as pretty or as good of wood as the Belgium guns but every bit as strong and well built. All of these guns sport good sights with a flip up rear for 200 yards as well as a fixed standing blade for 100 yards. I really like these. None of these oldies are drilled and tapped except the side mount holes of the Swede.

A time of fine rifles of true old world craftsmanship with the best of design and material.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Score!

Sweet rifle for a sweet round.

Old world craftsmanship is not around today. I like the feel of the old stuff, they just feel right in the hand. Glad you found it.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Default What stock?

They ARE nicely done, aren't they? Congratulations on a nice score!
    Around these parts, the ones most often encountered are the 'lower' grade rifles with the beech stocks, the ones with the 'interesting' figure in them, the coarse checkering, and wide forearms. These can still be had anywhere from $250-$500 and are WELL worth the bucks for the metalwork.
    All that I've owned have been .270's or .30-06, and have shot outrageously well on paper.
    I saw a bunch of those Husky's for sale at one of the importer's websites. Seems as though they'd put a bunch of the 96 actions together with sporter contour barrels, and stuck them in the sporter stocks, some with the same funky sidemounts you mentioned. I'll see if I can't find that site again, they may have your base...or fill the holes and drill and tap for Redfield bases...
    Enjoy!

Default 8x57

Congrats! I have coveted an FN for years, but out of my price range.
    Friends of mine have acquired 8x57 and 3006 FN's and they are absolutely beautiful and a joy to shoot. Feel free to post the photos!