Thread: Bombardier / CanAm exhaust

Default Bombardier / CanAm exhaust

My canam has an extremely obnoxious exhaust rattle. There's a heat shield over the pipe under the seat, and it rattles something terrible. Anybody got easy fixes for it?

Mine does the same thing. It's the springs behind the heat shield that causes the rattling noise. RTV silicone should fix that problem though.

What model are you running?

I'm running the Outlander 400.

Matt, are you suggesting that I just coat the springs with RTV? Or something else?

Using red high temp silicone on snowmachine exhaust springs to combat vibration and breakage is very common on modified motors and even a lot of stockers. I've seen where they fill up the inside of the coils, but just running a bead down the side is adequate. Used to break the hooks off the end of the springs on a set of twin pipes. Ran a bead on them and they quit breaking. Will work on any small engine application.

Default Outty 400 rattle

I had to get a guy to reweld the bolt boss back on to the exhaust pipe. This allowed me to bolt the heat shield back down to the exhaust pipe. Until then I had to stuff a crushed Coke can between the heat shield and the exhaust pipe. That's the only time that I had an UN-GODLY rattle from the exhaust...no longer.

Good luck with your Outty. I've run almost 1800mi on my 05.

Well, I finally got to it today. After pulling off the left shield half, I found that the forward bolt on the other shield half was loose. It was bottomed out, so I threw an extra washer in there to pull it tight. I guess I probably should have inspected better before asking questions. I put a bead of RTV on each of the springs since I already had it tore down that far. I'm going to let it sit over night, and check it for rattles tomorrow.

Sounds good now. Nice and quiet. Not sure if it needed the RTV or not, but that's something that's good to know. Thanks.