Thread: The "Perfection" loop....

Default The "Perfection" loop....

Seeing that I know very little about all the fly fishing knots you guys tie, I just now became aware of this knot. Easy to tie and seems like a good one, but I wouldn't know really. You like?
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Seeing that I know very little about all the fly fishing knots you guys tie, I just now became aware of this knot. Easy to tie and seems like a good one, but I wouldn't know really. You like?
    It's a great knot. I know lots of younger guys that use it and swear by it's efficiency and strength. I haven't used it much mainly because it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks. I got all my old knots that I've always used and they work just fine for me so why change. I can see this knot as being a good one for connecting fly line to leader or leaders to other leaders using loops. I personally prefer either the nail knot, double nail knot, improved clinch knot (fisherman's knot), and the surgeon's or double surgeon's knot. Sometimes I use a palomar knot when using braided line.

I like it - it's easier to put in a small, tidy loop with it than it is with a surgeon's know (which is what I used to use for loops).
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

The Perfection loop is a great knot for making a very strong loop and you can tie it two ways depending on your need. Great for hard baits that you do not want the knot tight to the eye, making a loop at the end of a ganion for your weight and an excellant way to attach anchor rope to anchor chain.

When used on light (<16lb) tippet, the perfection loop is a "fool's knot" , breaking at about 45-50% of line test and usually in the knot itself. The mono non-slip loop is a far superior loop knot, as it retains about 90% of line test strength when tied and lubricated properly.

Quote Originally Posted by G_Smolt View Post
    When used on light (<16lb) tippet, the perfection loop is a "fool's knot" , breaking at about 45-50% of line test and usually in the knot itself. The mono non-slip loop is a far superior loop knot, as it retains about 90% of line test strength when tied and lubricated properly.
    So not a real good knot using 20# test leader in fast water (the Kenai) for late run sockeyes?

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    So not a real good knot using 20# test leader in fast water (the Kenai) for late run sockeyes?

Many years ago, I used to use perfection loops in my leader systems quite a bit. Occasionally, I would have lines break at the knot, but I just chalked that up to bad line or wear...when I started guiding in 2003, I noticed more perfection loops breaking in situations where they shouldn't - no real wear, no serious strain, brand new line - so I switched to the non-slip mono loop. Thousands of guests later, and hundreds of thousands of loop knots tied, and very (VERY) rarely do I see broken knots.

So yes, in my opinion, the perfection knot is "not a real good knot" for fishing applications. There are far superior loop knots.

Quote Originally Posted by G_Smolt View Post
    Many years ago, I used to use perfection loops in my leader systems quite a bit. Occasionally, I would have lines break at the knot, but I just chalked that up to bad line or wear...when I started guiding in 2003, I noticed more perfection loops breaking in situations where they shouldn't - no real wear, no serious strain, brand new line - so I switched to the non-slip mono loop. Thousands of guests later, and hundreds of thousands of loop knots tied, and very (VERY) rarely do I see broken knots.

So yes, in my opinion, the perfection knot is "not a real good knot" for fishing applications. There are far superior loop knots.
    Thank you for your input. At a 45-50% breaking strength I can sure see how the perfection loop would not be optimal. Did some googling and it doesn't seem like the non slip mono is very hard to tie as well. I'll be trying it out soon on silvers!