Thread: Getting too small of a boat

Default Getting too small of a boat

We plan to get an ocean boat next year. We are looking at a hard topped Hewes Craft or comparable Weldcraft. My question is should we pony up the money and buy a 24' or larger boat, or just get a 22' that is more affordable? How many people have bought the smaller boat and wished for a bigger boat right away? I'm trying to avoid buyers remorse and having to upsize right away. We have a family of 4 (2 small kids), but might take out some other families. Alright here's the question is the bigger boat worth the initial investment?

We started with an 18' bayrunner, then upgraded to a 20' Aurora. Now looking to upgrade to a 24' Weldcraft or Hewescraft. As a family of 4, 20' or even 22' is a bit on the small side. I would go for the 24.

I don't think I've never heard anyone complain that their boat is too big!

Unless it is sitting on a gravel bar of course!

Quote Originally Posted by Western View Post
    We plan to get an ocean boat next year. We are looking at a hard topped Hewes Craft or comparable Weldcraft. My question is should we pony up the money and buy a 24' or larger boat, or just get a 22' that is more affordable? How many people have bought the smaller boat and wished for a bigger boat right away? I'm trying to avoid buyers remorse and having to upsize right away. We have a family of 4 (2 small kids), but might take out some other families. Alright here's the question is the bigger boat worth the initial investment?

If you can afford it go with the biggest you can. We started with an 18 foot Klamath then moved to a 24' Hewescraft and now have a 29'x10' glaciecraft that is curently under construction. This will be great until we want big and slow. Good luck!
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Go with the 24. Even then you will begin to suffer from the dreaded disease: "twofootitis". It affects all boaters and will render your credit rating useless if you do not find a cure for it.
    Tennessee

Default The other way

I just went the other way, from 27 to 16. I wanted something easier to handle and more manageable. The 27 was too much work and too hard to manage.

I can relate to going smaller. I got a 14'er, and man it is so much nicer to pull around then then 20'er.

I am trying to go from 27' to 24'
    Towing the Alcan oversize is a pain.
    In the water 27 is great.

Default Boat size

I had a Hewescraft searunner 21 foot for almost 10 years. Now I am moving
    up to a 27ft Glaciercraft. The 21 woorks great for a family of 4. You can go into PWS and hunt/fish, you can beach the boat and beach comb, you don't
    need a dingy to get to shore. The boat should not be too bad to trailer either. I did eventually move up but it took 10 years to get the itch. Just have to watch the weather a little closer. Depending on your financial situation sometimes it is better to have a smaller boat and lots of money to go play with it.

Default Twofeetitis

I can relate to the twofeetitus. We just labored over the decision on a Weldcraft. 20 or 22? I can tell you, that extra 2 feet is great when the whole family is onboard. It's still easy enough to trailer, fits in my 3-car garage, beaches nicely, and goes 40 mph with a weekend full of gear. Hard top would be nice if you can afford it, but I'll tell you, we were out in really crappy rain out of whittier and stayed perfectly dry under the soft top. Good luck!

Thanks for the posts. Looked at some HewesCrafts this weekend and I think a 24' Alaskan is about the right boat for us. I also liked the 22' Ocean Pro, but my wife likes the toilet on the boat. Looked at a 26' Alaskan, but the extra 2' isn't worth $20,000 to me. Will have all winter to think about it.

One suggestion, try to buy one this fall or winter if you can. The highest prices of the year are during the spring boat shows and the first couple months of warm weather.
    Tennessee

I've got builders remorse, wished I'd built a 24 foot Tolman jumbo instead of my 22 1/2' widebody. But, considering I'd started out planning a 21' boat and I'm out on the water, I won't complain.

We went out for the weekend, wife, I and 3 small kids, and a large dog, 140# chessie. We slept on shore, though there is enough room to sleep on the boat. I don't think we'd trip over eachother any less with a larger boat, but the extra deck space and smoother ride would be nice.

Get the biggest boat you can afford as you won't regret, but don't get such a big boat you can't afford to take it out often. That's the real catch. It costs us $100-200 each time we take the boat out of Whittier, and that's with a single 140 burning about 6gph @ 22k's. Also don't go bigger boat with smaller engine as a thought of saving money. The small engine worked hard will burn alot of fuel, and still be kinda slow. My thoughts are out in the sound you want a boat that can cruise at over 20k's. Most runs are pretty long, and if you're cruising at 16-17 k's, you're loosing out on alot of fishing time.

Default 24' Hewescraft Alaskan Sea Runner

Western,

I just sent you a message about a 24' Hewescraft I reluctantly put up for sale yesterday. It's time for my family and I to leave AK and we're really going to miss being our fishing for Halibut and Salmon.

I hate to sound bias since I'm selling a 24' boat, but a friend of mine had a 18' Hewescraft that really beat us up on the water. He talked me into getting the 24' and I'm glad he did. It's a lot more stable and smoother on the water.

e-mail me if you're interested.