Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: upstairs heat oil vs LPG

Default upstairs heat oil vs LPG

First thanks to all that have helped with my project so far. Trusses now rolled,, sheeting going on this weekend, metal going on in 2 weeks.

so thinking ahead, my "living unit" will be upstairs ( garage below) and I wanted to do a toyo heater, but noticed most of those are gravity fed, so how do I get oil upstairs ?
    I could also do propane, my last cabin was, no problem making it go upstairs, plus I like cooking on gas but have been told that in faribanks I can have issues with propane freezing. ( wont oil at some point, i know in winter they put in antigel)
    guess I need to go talk to a shop, but on this forum I get answers without a salesman trying to sell me.

My living unit (30í x 30í) is above my garage. My Toyo is below in the garage. Heat rises, right? Have u considered heating the garage with Toyo and venting it to the above living quarters? Note.... I do have a wood stove in the upstairs living quarters but the Toyo in garage keeps things upstairs from freezing when Iím away for days that the wood stove can not be kept going. I have not vented with an open grate or duct (YET) but will probably do so some day. My floor absorbs enough heat and the heat from below transfers enough to upstairs that I havenít needed to vent it directly.
    I have a Lazer 56 by the way. I even doubled the size of the garage below and the mid size 56 still has no prob keeping up.
    Wouldnt it be nice to have a warm garage too?
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!
    WWG1WGA! QANON

Quote Originally Posted by papabear3 View Post
    ...my "living unit" will be upstairs ( garage below) and I wanted to do a toyo heater, but noticed most of those are gravity fed, so how do I get oil upstairs ?
    You use one of these: https://www.toyotomiusa.com/OwnersMa...PT-91UL%20.pdf
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

have been told that in faribanks I can have issues with propane freezing. ( wont oil at some point, i know in winter they put in antigel)
    The phase change temperature for propane is around -42ļ (and decompression cooling will cause it to become unusable at a higher ambient temp). #1 heating oil is good to much colder than that. Heating oil is also more cost efficient (more BTU/$).
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence

Quote Originally Posted by cod View Post
    My living unit (30í x 30í) is above my garage. My Toyo is below in the garage. Heat rises, right? Have u considered heating the garage with Toyo and venting it to the above living quarters? Note.... I do have a wood stove in the upstairs living quarters but the Toyo in garage keeps things upstairs from freezing when Iím away for days that the wood stove can not be kept going. I have not vented with an open grate or duct (YET) but will probably do so some day. My floor absorbs enough heat and the heat from below transfers enough to upstairs that I havenít needed to vent it directly.
    I have a Lazer 56 by the way. I even doubled the size of the garage below and the mid size 56 still has no prob keeping up.
    Wouldnt it be nice to have a warm garage too?
    yes the garage will be heated also, with a separate unit.

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post

thanks you have been a help AGAIN

papabear.... I used to heat with a Toyo but also had a woodstove. Don't know if you mentioned any other source of heat in your other posts? If not, one thing I saw that they advertised was a battery backup. We used to loose power quite a bit. It usually came back on pretty quick, but sometimes it could take quite awhile. So it's something you may want to look into....nothing says burrrrr like loosing heat at -40...!!! Also, Toyos are great little units but they can get finicky when they get dirty. Keep up with regular maintenance, which isn't really that hard to do yourself, and they should give you good performance for a long time.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Consider a Planar 8 or 9d heater. Burns heating oil, forced air. Can be ducted and vented or not.
    Heres one in a 1000 sq ft cabin. Heats the whole place, thermostat controlled. Timer controller can set it to fire off before you get to cabin so its already warm.
    2 year warranty.
    Stupid efficient!
    Bk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Alaskas only Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Alaskas only Lonestar drum winch dealer, Whirlwind props, Stinger gearbox, and Alumatech airboats.
    Www.bkmarineservices.com

Used one of the aforementioned lift pumps for a Toyo on a second floor for several years. They are expensive little buggers. Ours never missed a lick.

Thats a nice set up! Iím looking for heat at my cabin. Planning on a propane Blaze King Clarity 26 for when Iím there and the wife want a fireplace, but a primary heater just to keep it warm when Iím not there would be nice. Who set up this 9D for you?

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    Consider a Planar 8 or 9d heater. Burns heating oil, forced air. Can be ducted and vented or not.
    Heres one in a 1000 sq ft cabin. Heats the whole place, thermostat controlled. Timer controller can set it to fire off before you get to cabin so its already warm.
    2 year warranty.
    Stupid efficient!
    Bk

Thanks Chico. Its an 8d, the 9d isnít much bigger but again doubles in btu output as you increase each heater size.
    My wife mounted this up in an hour at our cabin. Its pretty quick and easy to do. We are the Planar dealer for Ak.
    Call for questions if you prefer. Details in signature.
    Bk

Alaskas only Lonestar drum winch dealer, Whirlwind props, Stinger gearbox, and Alumatech airboats.
    Www.bkmarineservices.com

2 year warranty.
    Stupid efficient!
    Bk

thanks

I like the compact size. Am not familiar with that brand. Would prob still need a pump tp get oil upstairs. It can be unvented ? what about fumes in a living quarters, noise ? If in a remote location or distant location from you how does one get serviced/warranty ?

are the planar only 12volt, also guess I could mount it downstairs and duct it to upstairs. is a longer thermostat control cable available, or easy to make up own

Default upstairs heat oil vs LPG

Papabear,
    It is vented via exhaust tube out of building.
    The kit is complete with pump, thermostat controller, everything needed to hang it and run it.
    If doing a new build I would set it up with ducting and vents to be discreet but the job gets done regardless of how its plumbed to distribute the hot air.
    This 8d heats and keeps this 1000 sq ft nice and warm, no problem. Want more, get the 9d, next size up. Stronger fan of your pushing air thru ducting.

Im the dealer for Ak. Two year warranty on everything. No maintenance needed. Self diagnosing if a problem arises. It shuts down the fuel pump, then shut down cycle, and throws a numerical code. We have these in thousands of boats, cabins, campers, cranes, snowmobile trailers, forklifts, portable boxes, etc....
    Any of these diesel heaters do well by annually running a dose of sea foam through them.
    Controller cables can be lengthened and we carry 15í extensions ready to go.
    They come equipped to run on 12v DC. We have converters to run on 110ac. They run flawlessly.

232-6399
    Website in signature.
    Call or text with questions.
    Bk

Www.bkmarineservices.com

Are Planar heaters UL rated for full time residential use? Any homeowner's insurance issues?

No issues.
    Bk

Www.bkmarineservices.com

No issues.
    Bk
    And the price???
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Check website for current pricing.
    There are options and different sized hesters as well. Tough to give a blanket price without being specific on what you want.
    Call with questions, fb page has years worth of install pics in all sorts of uses.
    Bk

Www.bkmarineservices.com

well...I am surprised
    my sons boat that he has owned for a few years ( this will be winter #3)and I have only been involved with this year, has a Planar heater. He said he was surprised with the heat output that it HAD the first year for such a small unit WHEN it would work. It is not working now and no fault to Planar or the supplier, it was a used boat and the maintained, if like other things on this boat were minimal b4 my son got it. He quit trying to use it after a few times. He gave up on it, he does not do much in the winter with the boat, so to him no big deal.

Im gonna look into why it is not working, look at you tube etc, they seem simple enough from what I have researched when thinking about it for my living quarters.
    I have not even begin to start looking at this particular unit other than looking under the cowling and say to myself...hey I recognize that ( thanks to this thread)
    anyway, like I said, he was impressed with the heat at the time he got it, and the couple times he was able to get it to work, bet its the rotary on off switch or something simple like that.

when I showed him this thread about heating cabins, he said, yes if working correctly I bet it would heat your place because of the amount of heat it did produce in an open cabin boat....when working

other than that, it is small and self contained... I kind of like it
    live and learn

well...I am surprised
    my sons boat that he has owned for a few years ( this will be winter #3)and I have only been involved with this year, has a Planar heater. He said he was surprised with the heat output that it HAD the first year for such a small unit WHEN it would work. It is not working now and no fault to Planar or the supplier, it was a used boat and the maintained, if like other things on this boat were minimal b4 my son got it. He quit trying to use it after a few times. He gave up on it, he does not do much in the winter with the boat, so to him no big deal.

Im gonna look into why it is not working, look at you tube etc, they seem simple enough from what I have researched when thinking about it for my living quarters.
    I have not even begin to start looking at this particular unit other than looking under the cowling and say to myself...hey I recognize that ( thanks to this thread)
    anyway, like I said, he was impressed with the heat at the time he got it, and the couple times he was able to get it to work, bet its the rotary on off switch or something simple like that.

when I showed him this thread about heating cabins, he said, yes if working correctly I bet it would heat your place because of the amount of heat it did produce in an open cabin boat....when working

other than that, it is small and self contained... I kind of like it
    live and learn
    What is your son using as a house bank for his boat? It could be that the batteries are shot. These 12 volt appliances can be very voltage sensitive especially at start up. Once they hit 12.2 volts they are at 50% and really should be charged or their life is cut short dramatically.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast